Is Donny A Jack***? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Donny A Jack***?

Reaction Score
I don’t think he’s a jackass really. But honestly I don’t think he is a very good analyst. Talks too much, too much “inside” talk, and he isn’t really that funny, and he gets in the way of his partner trying to the game. And the next time he points out something subtle that is important will be the first.

Reaction Score
Who is Donny?

CGW2b5LWgAEjOjf.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm curious what others think. I mean, I know the answer is yes.... sorta. I guess I'm wondering if he is for real. Not just in a playful or fun loving sense.

He seems to hover right around the boundary. Crosses the line for a moment. Then comes back. The place I notice it the most is how he treats his broadcast partner. He obviously likes to joke around and that's cool. But he hovers around being not funny or maybe just a tad too rude to his partner. Not a ton today. It's just something I've sensed at times.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I still love the guy.

Also, in the past some have commented on his impartiality. I have zero issue with Donny not being a UCONN homer. It's
his job to be impartial and he's devoted 4 years to us. He paid in full. Owes us nothing.
Hit the ignore key

Reaction Score
Refreshing to see a UConn guy in the booth. I loved his story about JC's quick trigger when players screwed up on the floor. Hurley was clapping encouragingly after Andre threw up a air ball eliciting the response from Donny.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Tim Brando is the pros pro. He is so good and has been for many years. He can work with anybody. I am not in love with Donny's thoughts on certain topics(play AJ as much as possible), but he is soo much better than most of the color commentators today.

Reaction Score
I think Donny does a real good job, never understood all the Boneyard scrutiny. The guy is very bright, articulate, and presents himself real well.

Plus, there's also Pam Webber.
Agree, I think people are just jealous.

Reaction Score
I loved how Donny corrected the old man in the beginning of the game when he was trying to F-up Bouknight’s draft status saying that at times Bouk seems disengaged and uninspired at times.Donny in a lot of words basically said uhh no he gets tired. He made sure to not let that negative comment stay uncorrected about Bouk.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think Donny is very good, but sometimes it seems like he's being sarcastic to be funny and exaggerate a point, but he never really clears it up that he was (partly) kidding.

Like when he talked about only playing with selfish teammates like Ray and Donyell, or when he suggested that he never saw Calhoun's warm side.

He also kind of left it hanging when he said broadcasting "didn't work out" like Calhoun planned. I don't know the backstory there, but I thought he was pretty in demand and it was his decision to go back to coaching because he missed it so much. The way Donny left it, it sounded like Calhoun couldn't get work because he wasn't as good as Donny.

Reaction Score
I turn off the audio on TV and listen to the radio with Mike and Wayne. They know the team better than anyone else.
My nervous tension during games is sky high. Loved yesterday .
My listening and watching are getting more enjoyable the better the team plays..
Donny is someone worth listening too loved him as a player.

Reaction Score
As others have said, I thought Donny was solid yesterday. Most of my opinions were generated during other games. Some non UCONN games. I think I'm putting him under the microscope a bit. Because he's our guy.

Reaction Score
Refreshing to see a UConn guy in the booth. I loved his story about JC's quick trigger when players screwed up on the floor. Hurley was clapping encouragingly after Andre threw up a air ball eliciting the response from Donny.
I know this isn’t what you’re saying, but I often agreed with Calhoun’s quick hook and wish Hurley would do it more. In the case of Andre, though, he’s a player that is really hard on himself and needs confidence to play better. I’m good with Hurley showing confidence in Andre and being more rah rah with him. Once he relaxes and settles more he’s going to be so good. He’s extremely cerebral and there’s no need for a coach to make him overthink things anymore than he already does. Just get him to have fun and he’ll shine.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Give me Gus Johnson, Raff, Eric Collins, Donny, Shulman, Sean McDonough, anytime. I can't listen to Bill Walton for even 30 sec.
Eric Collins? Dude is the worst play by play guy there is

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Tim Brando is the pros pro. He is so good and has been for many years. He can work with anybody. I am not in love with Donny's thoughts on certain topics(play AJ as much as possible), but he is soo much better than most of the color commentators today.
didn't mr brando tell us, early in the game, something like 'even tho tyler is 6'9'', he plays much bigger?'
im not sure of his exact words, but i do remember almost putting the broadcast on mute. i'll check that, cuz 'dumbest broadcaster's comment this year' is still an open question. mebbe i heard that one wrong. he did spend an inordinate amount of time, in the second half, yammerin' on how marquette could get back in the game, even tho the game was over at the tip, and the only marquette storyline would be garcia's contribution.

Reaction Score
I used to like Ron Perry, what ever happened to him?
I know Ron from business in Boston. He loved calling games and staying involved in college basketball. Had many conversations with him about UConn over the years. He joined a company that was starting a Boston office and doing the games was taking away from his attention to the business and he just didn't want to do that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Donny is a true blue Husky and a real nice guy who is intelligent and witty
He has grown wonderfully as a color commentator
On the chat I saw some who don't know Donny take jabs at him after he was saying something tongue in cheek about Coach Calhoun. Obviously it went over their heads. Donny has the utmost respect for Coach, for KO, for DH and for all UConn nation.
I also agree that Andre should be on the floor more
Brando is ok but likes to think he is the only one on the air.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom