Is Aubrey a 3-pt threat? | The Boneyard

Is Aubrey a 3-pt threat?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I had the opportunity to watch each of Aubrey’s last 4 HS games against the top competition in the state of NY. As the best player on Ossining HS, Aubrey did a little bit of everything, going over 30 pts in all 4 games. That included taking and making 3-pt shots routinely.

At UConn, Aubrey developed into a lockdown defender who could run the court and crash the boards. But her 3-pt shot largely disappeared. Obviously, Aubrey was not going to get as many shots as she did in HS when she was Ossining’s “goto” player. But even when she appeared to be wide open at the arc, Aubrey often passed up shots.

Geno has been encouraging Aubrey to take those shots, trying to build back her confidence to make her a viable threat from the arc. The fact that Aubrey was included in the 3-pt contest on First Night as 1 of the 4 WBB players to compete, was intriguing. The fact that she made a bunch of 3’s was exciting.

Aubrey will never knock down 3’s like Azzi, Caroline or Lou. But with all she does on the court, if Aubrey can regain the 3-pt proficiency that she showed in HS, she will earn a lot more PT and UConn will be a much more formidable team.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I will be happy with some mid range jumpers and a counter move drive off the jumper. And a few post ups.
Yes, that would be great. But imagine a lineup that includes Azzi, Caroline,Lou, Dorka and Aubrey with all 5 players capable of knocking down 3’s. The last time UConn fielded a lineup with 5 legitimate 3-pt shooters was 2015-16 with Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Kia & Lou.

Reaction Score
It would be nice to see her as a midrange and 3 point threat while she is in the game. Of course, it would also be nice to see her drive to the basket and make a layup. However, I would encourage her not to go for some type of contortionist rebound as she has done in the past. She still needs to protect her spine.

Reaction Score
Might be able to add Ice to the list of good shooters too- not sure if she has 3 point range, but her shot does look good and accurate and smooth.

Reaction Score
The last thing we want to see is this team becoming a 3 point crazy team One cold shooting night from behind the arc and we have to listen to Geno tell us next year “it’s just a matter of when.” Live by the 3 pointer, die by the 3 pointer.

I don’t think we will play a team that can match our size. If we can’t take advantage of our size and resort to bombs, it’s a bad sign.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I will be happy with some mid range jumpers and a counter move drive off the jumper. And a few post ups.
Agreed. Pretty much what she was giving on offense before her operation. That to me should be considered a successful season for her.

Reaction Score
When I watched First Night and she was one of the players in the 3 point contest, I had to do a double take. She did well. She also looked taller to me, which I am sure is not the case, but also leaner and stronger. My other takeaways were that Azzi is an even better and more effortless shooter than last year and that Lou Two has a very sweet stroke. CD looked good also.

This whole Aubrey X factor is exciting. If she has an improved offensive game which includes a reasonably accurate 3, who covers her? She is too fast for a traditional big and will kill a smaller or same size guard under the hoop both off the glass and on post ups. Plus, she creates havoc on defense. That point can never be overstated. We missed her a great deal last year and will realize it more and more as we watch her this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The last thing we want to see is this team becoming a 3 point crazy team One cold shooting night from behind the arc and we have to listen to Geno tell us next year “it’s just a matter of when.” Live by the 3 pointer, die by the 3 pointer.

I don’t think we will play a team that can match our size. If we can’t take advantage of our size and resort to bombs, it’s a bad sign.
It’s not about becoming a “3 point crazy team.” The ability to spread the floor and knock down 3’s forces opponents to defend everyone, everywhere, thereby opening up the lane for mismatches in the post, dribble-drives and backdoor cuts.

Just think back to the 38-0 team in 2015-16 with Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Kia & Lou, all of whom could knock down 3’s. How many easy layups did that team make during the course of the season just because defenses were scrambling to defend the arc?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Aubrey makes a bunch of threes, that would be a huge bonus. I'm looking for some confidence, variety in shots, and making a reasonable percentage. I agree that she made shots from everywhere in high school. Her brother A.J. was one of the best distance shooters in the nation at Duke.

Reaction Score
If Aubrey diversifies her offense that will be huge for her. I suspect her days as a banger in the paint … well, the less of that she has to do, the better. I don’t mean pushing around, er, I mean posting up smaller guards — she should do as much of that as she can. But grappling with Boston and Saxton under the rim — I know she took a few rebounds away from them two years ago — I hope she doesn’t do too much of that this year. Let the bigs and Ayanna (and Nika!!!) handle that job.

Reaction Score
I had the opportunity to watch each of Aubrey’s last 4 HS games against the top competition in the state of NY. As the best player on Ossining HS, Aubrey did a little bit of everything, going over 30 pts in all 4 games. That included taking and making 3-pt shots routinely.

At UConn, Aubrey developed into a lockdown defender who could run the court and crash the boards. But her 3-pt shot largely disappeared. Obviously, Aubrey was not going to get as many shots as she did in HS when she was Ossining’s “goto” player. But even when she appeared to be wide open at the arc, Aubrey often passed up shots.

Geno has been encouraging Aubrey to take those shots, trying to build back her confidence to make her a viable threat from the arc. The fact that Aubrey was included in the 3-pt contest on First Night as 1 of the 4 WBB players to compete, was intriguing. The fact that she made a bunch of 3’s was exciting.

Aubrey will never knock down 3’s like Azzi, Caroline or Lou. But with all she does on the court, if Aubrey can regain the 3-pt proficiency that she showed in HS, she will earn a lot more PT and UConn will be a much more formidable team.
I too saw Aubrey's final high school games where she routinely dropped 30+ points. So I predicted she would be one of UConn's top scorers as a freshman. She had ALL the tools but it didn't happen. Mebbe UConn's style just didn't fit her game, eh? Like ONO, Aubrey is still one of my favourites!

Reaction Score

How long has she been "out of High School"? If it hasn't returned, with the "Greatest Coach in Women's Basketball, great motivator" is there a plan to recover it now?

Hand-eye co-ordination doesn't go away without a reason for that to happen. Injury, loss of confidence, fear of injury. Others of course. The reason for not taking them is the key to getting it back, if possible, to score the 3 consistently!
In many of the games I saw her play, at Uconn, her speed created issues in sinking the "on the move" layups, jumpers, etc--she missed many.
Obviously, I'm a Uconn WCBB fan and I want ALL cylinders on this team working well. I want Griffin to succeed and exceed, that's good for Uconn and Aubrey.

My doubt is; she'll not be a consistent 3 point threat.
If she plays within herself she could use her leaping and defending abilities to Uconn and her own advantage. Old but true saying says: Use what ya got!

Reaction Score
It’s not about becoming a “3 point crazy team.” The ability to spread the floor and knock down 3’s forces opponents to defend everyone, everywhere, thereby opening up the lane for mismatches in the post, dribble-drives and backdoor cuts.

Just think back to the 38-0 team in 2015-16 with Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Kia & Lou, all of whom could knock down 3’s. How many easy layups did that team make during the course of the season just because defenses were scrambling to defend the arc?
You are correct the more defense must defend the greater the opportunities to score.
I submit, that Uconn right now has the greatest opportunity to do that as in any time in the past 10 years. Azzi, Paige (when she returns), Caroline, Ice, Ayanna (if they live up to potential) Edwards, Dorka, Lou, Ines (again if potential is achieved at Div 1).
With that array of shooters another may be nice but what is the REAL need of this team?
That's a question for Experts like yourself and a half dozen others--I'm just a looker and see-er.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How long has she been "out of High School"? If it hasn't returned, with the "Greatest Coach in Women's Basketball, great motivator" is there a plan to recover it now?

Hand-eye co-ordination doesn't go away without a reason for that to happen. Injury, loss of confidence, fear of injury. Others of course. The reason for not taking them is the key to getting it back, if possible, to score the 3 consistently!
In many of the games I saw her play, at Uconn, her speed created issues in sinking the "on the move" layups, jumpers, etc--she missed many.
Obviously, I'm a Uconn WCBB fan and I want ALL cylinders on this team working well. I want Griffin to succeed and exceed, that's good for Uconn and Aubrey.

My doubt is; she'll not be a consistent 3 point threat.
If she plays within herself she could use her leaping and defending abilities to Uconn and her own advantage. Old but true saying says: Use what ya got!
I think it all comes down to confidence for Aubrey. In HS she was the best player on the court, taking 20+ shots per game. At UConn, Aubrey worked hard to find her roll, which turned out to be primarily defense and rebounding, while generally deferring to her teammates on offense.

She certainly knocked down shots on First Night. Whether or not she can do it in games remains to be seen. But I don’t think Geno would be pushing Aubrey to take those shots if he didn’t believe she was capable of making them.

Reaction Score
I think it all comes down to confidence for Aubrey. In HS she was the best player on the court, taking 20+ shots per game. At UConn, Aubrey worked hard to find her roll, which turned out to be primarily defense and rebounding, while generally deferring to her teammates on offense.

She certainly knocked down shots on First Night. Whether or not she can do it in games remains to be seen. But I don’t think Geno would be pushing Aubrey to take those shots if he didn’t believe she was capable of making them.
A well and fully function Aubrey could be a gift to Uconn. Will that happen ? Only time will tell.
Geno, isn't Geno by accident. He evaluates, along with a great team of coaches, and pushes. Geno works from what you were or what you are and both may not be in you at the same time. That's life. So, like you and me, Geno hopes for the best. When he stops pushing, you'll know you are what you are: A shooter or a leaper, defender or all three or a sitter. Again, time will tell.

Reaction Score
Years ago John Thompson was asked why his Georgetown Hoyas never seemed to shoot free throws very well. He stated that he had no idea why. He said they hit them all the time in practices. So he tried many different things over the years.

The only thing I can think of is a combination of that a young player feels pressure. And secondly she can see other teammates are extra-ordinary. Every year the team is competing for a National Championship while quite a few of your teammates are better shooters than you.

A wild guess is because she knows it's not a strength of her game she easily can lose confidence or just work hard to do something more positive such as "offensive rebound" which she is much more natrual doing if she misses a couple (i.e go to plan B to contribute which we all say a lot and I’m sure Geno says a lot too if shot isn’t working.).

A game is back-and-forth and two minutes left where every possession counts and the offense isn't going well, do you want Aubrey taking that big 3 or do you want it getting in the hands of probable elite shooters such as Azzi and Lou and Caroline? If Aubrey takes that shot and misses think of all the negative posts on here, but more importantly the National media criticism Geno will take for not running a more controlled offense late.

Bottomline is if she takes them then she has to show she can hit a decent amount. Otherwise “don’t.”

Reaction Score
She just needs to be proficient enough to hold her defender.... I think of Morgan Tuck in this situation. Was she a big 3 pt shooter, no way. However, when she was out around the top of the perimeter just off center, she'd take a couple shots a game and made a respectable number of them so you had to defend her....

Reaction Score
3pt.s, 2pt.s, 1pt., 0pt.s, the reality is as Auriemma once said of her " she does things nobody on our team can do"

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Aubrey should (and I think will) use her 3-point shot in the same way that Nika does -- to punish defenses that leave her wide open, and make them come out and defend her. The difference between her and Nika is that if they do come out and defend her jump shot, Aubrey can get to the hoop and FINISH.

I don't expect to see Aubrey and Nika on the court together very often unless Nika is a better finisher and Aubrey a better passer than they have shown to date. I'm certainly not saying that Aubrey will play PG -- more likely that Azzi will handle the point while Aubrey is in the game.

I see Aubrey's role as possibly similar to Christyn Williams's role last year -- as a "wide receiver" leading the fast break and taking court-length passes from Azzi or Caroline. It would be great if Aubrey can replace Christyn's scoring when she is on the floor, but even if she doesn't, she will earn a lot of minutes with her defense. She is the only player on the roster who can credibly defend the small, fast guards that many teams will have.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She just needs to be proficient enough to hold her defender.... I think of Morgan Tuck in this situation. Was she a big 3 pt shooter, no way. However, when she was out around the top of the perimeter just off center, she'd take a couple shots a game and made a respectable number of them so you had to defend her....
Excellent comparison!

Reaction Score
She can also handle forwards like the Tennessee front court to name a few. A frontcourt of Edwards, Patterson, and Griffin would matchup very well vs. S.C. and very well may be faster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom