Is anyone watching Foundation on Apple +? | The Boneyard

Is anyone watching Foundation on Apple +?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I’ve been looking forward to see Apple’s take on this classic Isaac Asimov series. The premier didn’t disappoint. It is visually stunning and a compelling narrative. I didn’t read the prequels to the foundation series. I think that is where they are drawing the material. Is anyone familiar with them? Are they staying pretty close to true with the novel?

Reaction Score
I thought the premiere was terrible, it’s beautifully crafted dreck.

CL82

Reaction Score
I thought the premiere was terrible, it’s beautifully crafted dreck.
Really? I enjoyed it. Fast passed and interesting.

CL82

Reaction Score
Who is the actor they had playing Harry Selden? He looks so familiar….
42AA15F2-A64C-4337-BCFE-D8946A593BE9.jpeg

Reaction Score
Who is the actor they had playing Harry Selden? He looks so familiar….
View attachment 69933

I’m not giving up on it. But I struggled with the one book I read.

Here are some quibbles

-you don’t get a ship with a warp drive. But you can have a ship that can go fast enough to go 50,000 light years in only a few years.

-oh hey, we control millions of planets but here’s. a creaky wooden ladder to paint a mural with…

CL82

Reaction Score
we control millions of planets but here’s. a creaky wooden ladder to paint a mural with…
The maintenance of the mural was done using a ladder because that was the traditional way to work on it. It’s the same reason the various pixels were changed by hand rather than just having an app to do it.
-you don’t get a ship with a warp drive. But you can have a ship that can go fast enough to go 50,000 light years in only a few years
The ship didn’t have a hyperdrive, but it could utilize known worm holes connecting various places in space. Since the worm holes aren’t right next to each other travel in between them and to their destination in regular space took two years.

You’re welcome.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The maintenance of the mural was done using a ladder because that was the traditional way to work on it. It’s the same reason the various pixels were changed by hand rather than just having an app to do it.

The ship didn’t have a hyperdrive, but it could utilize known worm holes connecting various places in space. Since the worm holes aren’t right next to each other travel in between them and to their destination in regular space took two years.

You’re welcome.

Is that really the explanation from the books?

If this is Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire in space then we better see some Barbarians at the Gate soon. So far it’s been a space romance and it’s boring.

It’s slick but the story sucks.

CL82

Reaction Score
Is that really the explanation from the books?

If this is Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire in space then we better see some Barbarians at the Gate soon. So far it’s been a space romance and it’s boring.

It’s slick but the story sucks.
Nope, I made it up off the top of my head. It works though doesn’t it?

I think the show is based upon the prequel “prelude to foundation” which I’ve never read. The original foundation trilogy dealt with a stories of narratives loosely connected by the Selden narrative. That is tougher to build a TV series around, but it could be a good one if did it right.

Have you watched the second episode yet? There’s a nice twist at the end of it.

Reaction Score
Nope, I made it up off the top of my head. It works though doesn’t it?

I think the show is based upon the prequel “prelude to foundation” which I’ve never read. The original foundation trilogy dealt with a stories of narratives loosely connected by the Selden narrative. That is tougher to build a TV series around, but it could be a good one if did it right.

Have you watched the second episode yet? There’s a nice twist at the end of it.

You should try writing Sci Fi.

I finished the second one. I still feel like I am watching a show based on YA fiction.

CL82

Reaction Score
You should try writing Sci Fi.

I finished the second one. I still feel like I am watching a show based on YA fiction.
[Shrugs] It may not be for you. I like it so far but that may be because I have nostalgia for my original reading of the books nearly a half century ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
[Shrugs] It may not be for you. I like it so far but that may be because I have nostalgia for my original reading of the books nearly a half century ago.

I get it. I can’t wait for Dune to come out. And I am so happy that Disney won’t have a chance to ruin it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I haven't watched it yet. This is a show I'll watch when my wife wants to do something else. So far, that hasn't happened. Maybe tonight. Then I, and I alone, will pronounce judgment on whether @ZooCougar or @CL82 is correct. You're welcome.

CL82

Reaction Score
I haven't watched it yet. This is a show I'll watch when my wife wants to do something else. So far, that hasn't happened. Maybe tonight. Then I, and I alone, will pronounce judgment on whether @ZooCougar or @CL82 is correct. You're welcome.
... and I will accept your judgement graciously, or with distain, depending on the outcome. ;)

CL82

Reaction Score
I get it. I can’t wait for Dune to come out. And I am so happy that Disney won’t have a chance to ruin it.
Dune is such a tough story to tell on screen and Zendaya is quickly joining the Samuel L. Jackson school of overuse, but I really have a good feeling about it. The trailers have looked amazing.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Dune is such a tough story to tell on screen and Zendaya is quickly joining the Samuel L. Jackson school of overuse, but I really have a good feeling about it. The trailers have looked amazing.
Zendaya and Timothee Chalamet both give me some pause, but the rest of the cast looks amazing.

Reaction Score

Well, they are going to make two or three movies. And I think they are sticking to the first book which is good because it gets kind of crazy starting at God Emperor.

It’s kicking butt overseas where it has opened and people I have talked to on Reddit say it is awesome.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So I watched episodes 1 & 2. I think @ZooCougar was perhaps overly critical, @CL82 maybe a bit generous. The beginning of episode 1 did a lousy job of explaining what was happening. The flashback from the opening scene was unnecessary and confusing. They had tidied that up and tied it together by episode 2. It is visually impressive, and after the early stumbling, fast paced. But maybe too fast paced. Now that the intro to creation of the Foundation is past, I'm hoping it will hit its stride, but there is just one episode left. Why is this just 3 episodes?

Side note, the actor playing Hari, Jared Harris is always good. He has been in so many winning TV series like this Chernobyl, The Terror, Carnival Row, The Expanse. I didn't even see The Crown.

CL82

Reaction Score
combined with post below

So not only is the edit function limited, now we can't delete posts :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
So I watched episodes 1 & 2. I think @ZooCougar was perhaps overly critical, @CL82 maybe a bit generous.
Lol, a very statesman-like answer. ;)

I read through some of the reviews and they seem to take @ZooCougar's view. The originals novels driving device, the idea that while an individuals actions are unpredictable if the numbers are big enough events are mathematically predicable is a dry one, but interwoven with more plot/adventure driven sub-narratives it works. That may be tough to transfer to the big screen.

I did discover that a lot of the elements which I attributed to the unread (by me) prequels are actually license taken by the show producers. That's unfortunate at least for fans of the original material. Those changes are what give the series the "YA" feel that Zoocougar mentioned. The gender switch of Gaal Dornick was okay. But the reinvention of Daneel Oliver is troubling. He is a central character to a few of the different narrative threads and would have been an effective "narrator" for the series.

Still, as noted above, I didn't mind it and will stick with it.

Reaction Score
Lol, a very statesman-like answer. ;)

I read through some of the reviews and they seem to take @ZooCougar's view. The originals novels driving device, the idea that while an individuals actions are unpredictable if the numbers are big enough events are mathematically predicable is a dry one, but interwoven with more plot/adventure driven sub-narratives it works. That may be tough to transfer to the big screen.

I did discover that a lot of the elements which I attributed to the unread (by me) prequels are actually license taken by the show producers. That's unfortunate at least for fans of the original material. Those changes are what give the series the "YA" feel that Zoocougar mentioned. The gender switch of Gaal Dornick was okay. But the reinvention of Daneel Oliver is troubling. He is a central character to a few of the different narrative threads and would have been an effective "narrator" for the series.

Still, as noted above, I didn't mind it and will stick with it.

So I familiarized myself with the series a bit more.

I’m really worried that they are going to screw up some of the most interesting characters. Like what will they do to the Mule and the Strong General?

The Mule seems like a pretty original character.

I think I might want to try the books again, but I don’t know where to start

Reaction Score
So I watched episodes 1 & 2. I think @ZooCougar was perhaps overly critical, @CL82 maybe a bit generous. The beginning of episode 1 did a lousy job of explaining what was happening. The flashback from the opening scene was unnecessary and confusing. They had tidied that up and tied it together by episode 2. It is visually impressive, and after the early stumbling, fast paced. But maybe too fast paced. Now that the intro to creation of the Foundation is past, I'm hoping it will hit its stride, but there is just one episode left. Why is this just 3 episodes?

Side note, the actor playing Hari, Jared Harris is always good. He has been in so many winning TV series like this Chernobyl, The Terror, Carnival Row, The Expanse. I didn't even see The Crown.

Jared Harris is the king of TV.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom