Is anyone else concerned? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Is anyone else concerned?

Reaction Score
The goal post moving by Zoony has been breathtaking in this thread.

What started out as a post about lack of FBS offers from our recruits has switched in to wins in the past seasons.

Low Octane,

There is a relationship between the two.

Reaction Score
Every UConn football fan knows what has to happen to move up to near the median of FBS....

1...develop a sound defense that can stop drives, defend pass plays. Allow the offense to win.

2...develop an offensive line that can protect the QB on passing plays and block for a run game.

3...develop a QB who can read the defense, make the right decision, and be accurate. UConn has not been one dimensional but neither aspect of offense has been effective.

4...develop a culture of winning. Win the games that you are supposed to win and some of those that you are not.

And recruiting competitive athletes is the starting point. If the other team is bigger, faster, stronger...it makes a win more difficult.

Reaction Score
I think it is legit to question where we are but from my perspective we seem to be seeing an uptick in recruiting really last year and this year. Not competing with Alabama of course but an uptick none the less. If you look at last years freshmen and didn’t see 2 quality receivers for example I don’t know what to tell you. I’d hope to see a couple of rs freshmen who can contribute as well. Maybe a true freshman or 2 especially among the dbacks. We are competing with lower end P5 schools and other G5’s which is where we expect to be. At our level it is about getting solid 3 star kids and some under rated 1-2 stars who the big programs missed on. And it is about coaching those guys up. That is just the reality of where we are. I think we have above average facilities for our level and a pretty interesting schedule that will attractive to kids in the g5 pool. Play in the MAC or CUSA and play 1 P5 opponent or come to Storrs and play 5-6 each year.

To me the real question is will we be at the point where the uptick is enough by this season. I agree that the goal needs to be to win the games you should win and a couple you shouldn’t.

Reaction Score
Another recruit commits today with ACC and B1G offers.

#stillnotworried.

You picked a helluva time to fall on the star ranking sword during spring of a year with no camps or on campus visits.

No powerhouse teams though.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You guys can thank me later. Not going to pull a Chief00 and take credit.

I'd like to know specifically what has changed. These are positive developments.
Love to hear more from these kids about what attracts them to UConn. Have we heard any feedback on the impact of going independent?

Looking at UConn's schedule the next few years...I think an independent schedule should be appealing. While there are sacrificial lamb money games...still cool to say you played at Clemson. And not the same grind every year. Very diverse.

Reaction Score
You guys can thank me later. Not going to pull a Chief00 and take credit.

I'd like to know specifically what has changed. These are positive developments.

Nothing’s changed. We aren’t beating out powerhouse P5’s.

Reaction Score
I’d guess that if you are looking At UConn compared with a lot of programs you have a dedicated tv network, superior facilities, a coach who has gotten a lot of kids who came in not highly ranked into the league where they pay for play and a pretty interesting schedule where you play 5 P5 teams a year. If you are a high G 5 recruit you are not getting that many. Plus Edsall says you will play Clemson Ohio State, Michigan Tennessee and a few others we haven’t heard about yet. Not so bad.

Reaction Score
Nothing’s changed. We aren’t beating out powerhouse P5’s.
A rethink on player types and move to real football players instead of athletes trained to play football , and also a schedule with big dogs on the table makes a difference...my take.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
#stillnotworried

May be an aberration for this year or a trend going forward but it's pretty obvious northeast Florida and Texas have been fertile for this class.

As others have pointed out there is a natural connection to Jax with RE having coached there. Figuring out how UConn's coaches made inroads in to Texas would be an interesting story to me.

Reaction Score
To the original question : hell no.

I am concerned Shady is putting together a top 15 class down at Rutty.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Bear with me, but this could become a positive for UConn.

Only way Shady is getting a class that high is by getting the higher ranked northeast kids normally poached by Penn St. Mich, Notre Dame, Ohio St, etc. Rutger's used to be a notch below them getting northeast kids, but there was still plenty of slop at the trough for Rutty to recruit after the big boys had their fill.
Those top tier programs aren't going to recruit second level recruits in this area. If they can't get the top 5 player in the state, they aren't going after those in the 10-20 range. They go trophy hunting elsewhere in the US.

So, if Rutty is now getting a higher caliber recruit from the region, that means what Rutty used to get for sloppy seconds is now open for someone else. And UConn can fill the void for those level players.

And I think the case can be made getting players Rutty used to get but is no longer getting because Rutty is getting higher level recruits opens up a path for UConn to recruit those players. Maybe.

Reaction Score
#stillnotworried

May be an aberration for this year or a trend going forward but it's pretty obvious northeast Florida and Texas have been fertile for this class.

As others have pointed out there is a natural connection to Jax with RE having coached there. Figuring out how UConn's coaches made inroads in to Texas would be an interesting story to me.
Maybe Corey’s time in Colorado built some western connections?

Reaction Score

Rutgers current class ranking is based on having 20 recruits...

They are currently ranked ahead of Georgia, Penn State, Auburn, etc who have far fewer commits at this early point....Rutgers will end up in the 50's or 60's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom