Is anyone else concerned? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Is anyone else concerned?

Reaction Score
There is no straw man argument. There’s no active complaining. There’s just facts that when you recruit FCS kids you get FCS results. You can agree or disagree I really dgaf. I’ve been as big a supporter of football as possible since graduating UConn in 2001. I thought Pasqualoni could run the table in year 3. I thought Diaco’s zaniness would work out. Guess what? Facts don’t back that up. And the facts aren’t kind to Randy v2. So - back to the OP and the point of this thread - of course I’m concerned about where our recruiting is at. I’d love more than anyone to be wrong. But y’all can go ahead with the positive vibes only tour and we’ll see how that goes. Good luck.

Again, all I posted in response to you was that we seldom beat out Cuse and BC for recruits even when playing our best football.

If your rant makes you feel better so be it, but I don’t know why it’s as a reply to me.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What is abundantly obvious is that you guys are not getting enough oxygen in your brains.

Based on what we are seeing UConn Football is on track to discover new lows in the very near future.

It’s like your house is in fire and you won’t start worrying about it until the Fire Department shows up.
So your mission is that everyone on the board has to approach the challenges and misery of UConn football the way you do - which is to point out the obvious - in order to feel what- Satisfied?

Okay- scream bloody murder- fine; but don’t ever think you’re smarter than others here just because they shelve their deep reservations rather than put them on display for others.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The goal posts haven’t moved. Try reading before you counter, look before you leap Seaman.
You definitely moved the goalpost. In your own initial post you wrote "About pretty much every recruit we are signing isn't clearly being recruited actively at FBS level." (Despite the, shall we say, interesting grammatical construction) one would read that to mean that out of the 5 recruits signed, at least 3, but likely 4 out of 5 do not have FBS offers. A later poster showed that 4 of 5 DO have FBS offers. You then moved the goalpost in a later post to "those are some powerhouse FBS". While the second comment is absolutely accurate, it is a different point than you made originally...ergo...posts moved.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Well this thread has devolved into two sides clubbing each other over 5 recruits in May 2020 for the 2021 season. Not one of our finer moments, is it?

Reaction Score
Have I noticed that our left-for-dead football program, which has endured quite possibly the worst decade in FBS history, and is in an recruiting dead zone vs superior historical programs aas well as an indifferent fan base and retread coach is not recruiting particularly well?

Yes. Next question.

Reaction Score
We understand where you are coming from. You can stop repeating yourself over and over again.

This isn't the same conversation simply because we may be experiencing a new low in terms of recruiting. It's concerning.
Ok. So what do you suggest? Serious question too. You don’t think UConn is offering kids with other low level P5 offers? Don’t you think Randy is doing all he can to get the best talent in here possible? Unfortunately discussing this will in no way change what UConn is boxed into- we have to develop the guys that come here in order to win more games and only then will UConn be a more attractive place for the type of recruits we all feel should be committing here.

I promise you’re not the only one that sees what’s going on.

Reaction Score
What is abundantly obvious is that you guys are not getting enough oxygen in your brains.

Based on what we are seeing UConn Football is on track to discover new lows in the very near future.

It’s like your house is in fire and you won’t start worrying about it until the Fire Department shows up.
Ok. Question. Suppose every single person on this board echoes your sentiments out loud? Let’s say we all become concerned with the recruiting out loud and reply to every post with our said concerns....Would you be satisfied then? Only question is, would May 23rd look any different inside Burton?

Reaction Score
You definitely moved the goalpost. In your own initial post you wrote "About pretty much every recruit we are signing isn't clearly being recruited actively at FBS level." (Despite the, shall we say, interesting grammatical construction) one would read that to mean that out of the 5 recruits signed, at least 3, but likely 4 out of 5 do not have FBS offers. A later poster showed that 4 of 5 DO have FBS offers. You then moved the goalpost in a later post to "those are some powerhouse FBS". While the second comment is absolutely accurate, it is a different point than you made originally...ergo...posts moved.
Spot on. Double like
And that “poster” you mentioned that showed the offer lists was the Honorable Medic

Reaction Score
Edsall should have been gone after the year 2 crap show and certainly after year 3, but he’s not. So we have no choice but to hope Edsall finds a path to some semblance of success. If this season goes poorly, his head should be on the block early. We are getting exactly what we paid for ... low salary for a losing coach.

Reaction Score
We understand where you are coming from. You can stop repeating yourself over and over again.

This isn't the same conversation simply because we may be experiencing a new low in terms of recruiting. It's concerning.

I mean haha you have to....HAVE to see the irony in your post. You’re just repeating what has been discussed and over and over again... you have to see it, I refuse to believe you don’t

Reaction Score

yeah....if my whole house is on Fire there is pretty much nothing I can do until the fire dept shows up

Reaction Score
UConn could, with a lot of recruiting improvement, recruit on a par with Wake Forest, BC, Rutgers etc.

Classes of 2018, 19, 20...Total Three Star and Above (Rivals)

UConn...12
Wake.....37
BC.........40
Rutgers...41

If the Huskies are to have some success with P5 teams on the schedule like Virginia, Ole Miss, North Carolina, Purdue, BC, NC State, etc....talent upgrades may be necessary.

UConn has, however, recruited the last three seasons on a par with BYU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think everyone is worried. But I think that’s been the case the last 10 or so years, and even more so the last 2 to 3. I think it’s fine to espouse either of these views:
1. The program is in the toilet but one will remain optimistic until the season
2. The program is in the toilet and one is worried it can get even worse
Those who want to be optimistic great, those who want to point out what a disaster the football program is fine too. That’s the beauty of a message board - there is not group think. I find information from both sides interesting.

the fact alone that we are all on arguably the worst FBS football program’s message board shows we are passionate. The forever positives and the forever negatives all the same.

I have withstood gut punch after gut punch with this program. And the school basically throwing the program in the dumpster by the shortsighted move to join a basketball conference was the final straw for me. Until it wasn’t. I think it was business lawyer (apologies if it wasn’t) who wrote something to the effect of he was with the program when it started its ascent (and before) and will see this thing through to the bottom. I think I have finally come around to that notion. It was coming to the realization that the football program already had its arc that was hard. I once had expectations this team could be a Perrenial top 25-40 program. Now the hope is to just not be the worst team in college football. What a fall - caused by many different events and individuals.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The idea that Randy is keen to these under the radar guys and it's the other coaches who are trailing behind is one hell of a narrative.

Reaction Score
Because I had nothing else to do during this morning...those Edsall players that had like offers or worse
G. Davis Cornell Brockington Terry Caulley Danny Lansanah Tyvon Branch Larry Taylor Julius Williams
Donald Thomas William Beatty Darius Butler Derek Rich tranfer to UGA Scott Lutrus Byron Jones Yarwin Smallwood Geremy Davis Nick Williams Chad Christian Jesse Joseph Trevardo Williams Shamar Stephen
Ryan Griffin Sio Moore Blidi Wrey-Wilson Robert Mclain Greg Lloyd Kendall Reyes Kashif Moore Tyvon Martin Robbie Fry Dave Teggart Jasper Howard Lawrence Wlison Marcus Easley Andrew Adams Dahna Deleston. Probably more to add.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
To sum up what I've read so far:

- Multiple people are afraid we're not getting 4 star kids and aren't sure how good our 2 star / 3 star kids are.

Based on the previous 9 million years (or at least that's how long it feels like), I'm with you. Having said that, Silver is absolutely right about the timing of the recruits. Many of these kids haven't racked up a bunch of offers, but it's early in the process.

Here's what I see, for what it's worth. We have a bunch of 5.4/5.5 RR kids (Rivals) or 3 star kids (247) that picked us. At that level, some pan out, some don't. But it's not the 5.2/5.3 RR kids that overwhelmed our 2015 and 2016 classes (take a look at the 2016 class if COVID isn't depressing enough for you).

Long story short, the ratings system have this class at an early rating that is better than 5 years ago, and that's positive. And ratings matter. Of course I want the 4 star kid, but let's hope we keep the best ones from our current bunch from getting poached later in the year and let's hope we can train up the worst of the bunch and get the old redshirt bump...

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Because I had nothing else to do during this morning...those Edsall players that had like offers or worse
G. Davis Cornell Brockington Terry Caulley Danny Lansanah Tyvon Branch Larry Taylor Julius Williams
Donald Thomas William Beatty Darius Butler Derek Rich tranfer to UGA Scott Lutrus Byron Jones Yarwin Smallwood Geremy Davis Nick Williams Chad Christian Jesse Joseph Trevardo Williams Shamar Stephen
Ryan Griffin Sio Moore Blidi Wrey-Wilson Robert Mclain Greg Lloyd Kendall Reyes Kashif Moore Tyvon Martin Robbie Fry Dave Teggart Jasper Howard Lawrence Wlison Marcus Easley Andrew Adams Dahna Deleston. Probably more to add.

All of that, and yet only two winning records in conference play in twenty years.

Reaction Score
UConn should install the triple option.

Forget ”triple option”. The first option should be for the Administration to take a long hard look at how to stop UConn’s low mid major FBS program from hemorrhaging money.

Indeed, fact are a stubborn thing and there is no escaping that quality recruits just are not coming to UConn.

Rivals ranked the 2020 UConn football class at #93 below UConn’ football per schools James Madison, Troy, Buffalo and others.

24/7 ranked the 2020 UConn football class more harshly than Rivals.

24/7 ranked UConn at #119 behind UConn peer school Coastal Carolina, San Jose, eastern Michigan, Western Michigan and UMass.

If a realistic plan to turn around the UConn football program to obtain a positive ROI in terms of dollars, image, and interest then the first option should be to move the program to D1 FCS and compete at the same level as fellow Big East Conference members Villanova, Georgetown, and Butler.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Forget ”triple option”. The first option should be for the Administration to take a long hard look at how to stop UConn’s low mid major FBS program from hemorrhaging money.

Indeed, fact are a stubborn thing and there is no escaping that quality recruits just are not coming to UConn.

Rivals ranked the 2020 UConn football class at #93 below UConn’ football per schools James Madison, Troy, Buffalo and others.

24/7 ranked the 2020 UConn football class more harshly than Rivals.

24/7 ranked UConn at #119 behind UConn peer school Coastal Carolina, San Jose, eastern Michigan, Western Michigan and UMass.

If a realistic plan to turn around the UConn football program to obtain a positive ROI in terms of dollars, image, and interest then the first option should be to move the program to D1 FCS and compete at the same level as fellow Big East Conference members Villanova, Georgetown, and Butler.
Please go back to the basketball board. First of all, did the move away from the AAC and to independent where UConn laid out cost savings resonate with you at all? Is that addressing hemorrhaging money?

Butts in the seats addresses the 2nd biggest issue and if some of the UConn basketball fans who openly loathe football would be legitimate fans of all sports and not negative naysayers, UConn would be in a better situation.

We have talked about rankings for years. I am not typing anymore about it.

And finally, look at how much FCS football loses money for each school.

Reaction Score
To sum up what I've read so far:

- Multiple people are afraid we're not getting 4 star kids and aren't sure how good our 2 star / 3 star kids are.

Based on the previous 9 million years (or at least that's how long it feels like), I'm with you. Having said that, Silver is absolutely right about the timing of the recruits. Many of these kids haven't racked up a bunch of offers, but it's early in the process.

Here's what I see, for what it's worth. We have a bunch of 5.4/5.5 RR kids (Rivals) or 3 star kids (247) that picked us. At that level, some pan out, some don't. But it's not the 5.2/5.3 RR kids that overwhelmed our 2015 and 2016 classes (take a look at the 2016 class if COVID isn't depressing enough for you).

Long story short, the ratings system have this class at an early rating that is better than 5 years ago, and that's positive. And ratings matter. Of course I want the 4 star kid, but let's hope we keep the best ones from our current bunch from getting poached later in the year and let's hope we can train up the worst of the bunch and get the old redshirt bump...

who is calling for 4 star kids in this thread?

I think people just want to see the program playing and recruiting at an FBS level.

Reaction Score
yeah....if my whole house is on Fire there is pretty much nothing I can do until the fire dept shows up

Yes, don’t wake up the kids.

You were a Pasqualoni supporter. You have no standing with me. You may go now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom