Is anyone else concerned? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is anyone else concerned?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't think this discussion is damaging. Is there a place on the Internet where it's possible to have a frank discussion on the state of things?
Go to twitter and talk to the AAC twitter nuts. They will love you.

Reaction Score
Go to twitter and talk to the AAC twitter nuts. They will love you.

Ok I got it. Let's bury our heads in the sand. This is why I shouldn't bother.

I don't think this is being negative. These are legitimate questions.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ok I got it. Let's bury our heads in the sand. This is why I shouldn't bother.

I don't think this is being negative. These are legitimate questions.
Serious what is gained by having a "frank" discussion on this board? What? Nothing. Seriously, just take it to twitter where a certain audience will soak it up.

They have to play the games this fall and then we can judge. I wanted to toss Randy after his second season, but it didnt happen and it didn't happen last year, so here we are...and I want this to work, so I am riding this train over the cliff this fall and we'll see what happens then.

I dont know how many times we need to say this but Randy is by far the best coach we can get for our budget.

If Randy fails this fall, then maybe we'll get a 600k coach from DII. That's the story - what else shall we be "frank" about - really!?!

Reaction Score
Edsall is recruiting the same kind of RKGs as Diaco. Great kids, but...

Once in a blue moon, there’s a Byron Jones, sure. But as an overall recruiting strategy it’s extremely concerning.

I might trade every UConn Draft pick since the Fiesta Bowl for 5-6 winning seasons.

Totally sick of hearing about NFL talent on the team when we are scraping by FCS teams and have one of the five worst programs in a 120+ team division.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I might trade every UConn Draft pick since the Fiesta Bowl for 5-6 winning seasons.

Totally sick of hearing about NFL talent on the team when we are scraping by FCS teams and have one of the five worst programs in a 120+ team division.
Then turn if off because that is all we have to offer at this point. There is no magic that will happen until we play actual games and see what the results are of his diamond recruiting reality.

Reaction Score
Serious what is gained by having a "frank" discussion on this board? What? Nothing. Seriously, just take it to twitter where a certain audience will soak it up.

They have to play the games this fall and then we can judge. I wanted to toss Randy after his second season, but it didnt happen and it didn't happen last year, so here we are...and I want this to work, so I am riding this train over the cliff this fall and we'll see what happens then.

Okay, We understand your position. You can stop talking now.

There is something to be gained because this game never stops. It's a 12 month a year sport. We play games in the fall. We play other games in the winter, spring and summer off the field. Edsall loses games every month of the year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Thank god we can finally have this frank discussion. Wow - really making a difference and sounding so smart.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I'll bite. Here is the convince you your wrong argument.

Historically, RE would get a kid to his camp and then offer based on what he saw. This year there are no camps so now he is going on film from last year plus what they saw and if a kid camped before their junior year. RE's strength has been projecting kids - he now has to do it without senior year film. Most kids are in a wait and see mode, they will wait for bigger and better offers to come in. These are kids that want to be here and if you remember, RE used to tell a kid once you commit and you look around afterwards, I will pull your offer. So, these kids decided to become part of the solution prior to their senior year. They want to be here and will listen to this staff unlike Diaco's RKG.

Additionally, 4 and 5* recruits aren't likely to commit to UConn right now based off of wait and see. Most coaching staffs are trying to figure out how to get their kids into school and how to work best with no spring practice. RE is ahead of a lot of those staffs and trusts his own staff. Look at the film- Modeste has something and so do the other RB's he brought in for this year. Lineman are harder to project for us on the Boneyard but if they have a good frame and can build muscle and have some athleticism and are coachable, it can work. We just don't know about the time the staff put in on these early offers to criticize.

Finally, if these were the kids that signed up on February 4th 2021, then I would be concerned with the offer list. As we have seen in the past, the offer list shouldn't really matter as its about the kid. I see ZooCougar's point, but May is way too early to worry about offer list. Enjoy the film and judge the product on the field.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not concerned. I assume the staff is bringing the best guys they can. If they turn out to be not good enough, we get a new staff down the road.

Reaction Score
How am I wrong?
I'll bite. Here is the convince you your wrong argument.

Historically, RE would get a kid to his camp and then offer based on what he saw. This year there are no camps so now he is going on film from last year plus what they saw and if a kid camped before their junior year. RE's strength has been projecting kids - he now has to do it without senior year film. Most kids are in a wait and see mode, they will wait for bigger and better offers to come in. These are kids that want to be here and if you remember, RE used to tell a kid once you commit and you look around afterwards, I will pull your offer. So, these kids decided to become part of the solution prior to their senior year. They want to be here and will listen to this staff unlike Diaco's RKG.

Additionally, 4 and 5* recruits aren't likely to commit to UConn right now based off of wait and see. Most coaching staffs are trying to figure out how to get their kids into school and how to work best with no spring practice. RE is ahead of a lot of those staffs and trusts his own staff. Look at the film- Modeste has something and so do the other RB's he brought in for this year. Lineman are harder to project for us on the Boneyard but if they have a good frame and can build muscle and have some athleticism and are coachable, it can work. We just don't know about the time the staff put in on these early offers to criticize.

Finally, if these were the kids that signed up on February 4th 2021, then I would be concerned with the offer list. As we have seen in the past, the offer list shouldn't really matter as its about the kid. I see ZooCougar's point, but May is way too early to worry about offer list. Enjoy the film and judge the product on the field.

Don't take this the wrong way. But unless you get paid to evaluate football talent, talk about it etc. I don't think any of us should be pointing to film as objective evidence. Every single D1 player has tremendous film. Every single one.

I'm not even talking about 4-5 star level. Not even close. If we pulled one of those in I would wonder what the catch was. I think you know what kind of quality I mean. I don't see too many Darius Butlers or Tyvon Branch's here.

In regards to offer lists. Sometimes it didn't matter. But more often than not it does. I've cited a few examples of diamonds in the rough. But a given class should only have a few of those. And in successful Edsall classes they only did have a few. The rest were generally pretty solid looking recruits and they had so many FBS offers that the FCS offers that were probably there too weren't even listed.

Reaction Score
This is a difficult topic. But it really needs to be discussed. About pretty much every recruit we are signing isn't clearly being recruited actively at FBS level. It's not a opinion, it's fact. Some of these guys aren't even holding offers from top FCS level programs.

Any kid who is playing at the FCS/FBS level is elite. They are standouts, every single one of them have highlight films that are the envy of most HS football players.

I get that Edsall is a good assessor of talent. I get that over a decade ago he found guys like Jasper Howard and Scott Lutrus. Players that panned out and would be right at home in any Top 10 Football Program. Recruits like that weren't the majority of the of the class. There were 2-3 of them at the most.

We also were at least beating out MAC level FBS programs. Maybe one or two of them had offers from a CAA school or two.

Pretty much every single recruit appears to be solid model citizens. But is this level of talent really going to get us back to being a 4,5,6 or 7 win team?

I hope I am wrong and totally off base. Maybe ever FBS offers will roll in later for these guys and we will still keep their commitments.

But, I'm really, really skeptical at this point. Convince me I am wrong.
Very possibly we will end up losing many of these recruits to higher ranked teams. Edsall knows how to evaluate talent.Several of our recruits last year got pursued by P5 schools right into the signing period.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
How am I wrong?

Don't take this the wrong way. But unless you get paid to evaluate football talent, talk about it etc. I don't think any of us should be pointing to film as objective evidence. Every single D1 player has tremendous film. Every single one.

I'm not even talking about 4-5 star level. Not even close. If we pulled one of those in I would wonder what the catch was. I think you know what kind of quality I mean. I don't see too many Darius Butlers or Tyvon Branch's here.

In regards to offer lists. Sometimes it didn't matter. But more often than not it does. I've cited a few examples of diamonds in the rough. But a given class should only have a few of those. And in successful Edsall classes they only did have a few. The rest were generally pretty solid looking recruits and they had so many FBS offers that the FCS offers that were probably there too weren't even listed.
Yes - let’s have this same conversation again. Same one for the past three years. No one is blind here - the only debate is whether to have the same conversation again.... and again.

Nothing really matters until we friggen take the field and find out what Edsall has brought in.

Reaction Score
Yes - let’s have this same conversation again. Same one for the past three years. No one is blind here - the only debate is whether to have the same conversation again.... and again.

Nothing really matters until we friggen take the field and find out what Edsall has brought in.

We understand where you are coming from. You can stop repeating yourself over and over again.

This isn't the same conversation simply because we may be experiencing a new low in terms of recruiting. It's concerning.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We understand where you are coming from. You can stop repeating yourself over and over again.

This isn't the same conversation simply because we may be experiencing a new low in terms of recruiting. It's concerning.
New low? Oh okay- yes time to get frank about that. Let’s figure that little problem out right here. Let’s whirl around on this board identifying the “new low.”

The anti crowd will get there chance when the season starts.

Reaction Score
New low? Oh okay- yes time to get frank about that. Let’s figure that little problem out right here. Let’s whirl around on this board identifying the “new low.”

The anti crowd will get there chance when the season starts.

The season never stops. What do you not understand about that?

Reaction Score
How am I wrong?

We've had a 4 star HS recruit in the program before. how'd he do?

Reaction Score
We bring in FCS level talent and then get upset and wonder why FCS teams are competitive against, and sometimes, beat us.

Reaction Score
We've had a 4 star HS recruit in the program before. how'd he do?

Exactly. There was a catch. I think we actually had a couple and neither worked out.

I remember when Greg Robinson was a big get as a high end three star. We beat UVA for him when UVA was respectable and a few other schools. He was supposed to be our Huskyback of the future in Edsall's 4-3. Scott Lutrus was really unheralded in comparison and he beat him out in the first training camp. Robinson ended up a pretty good backup.

I believe in the whole Edsall can evaluate thing back when he was recruiting from a much more talented level of player.

What I don't understand is why more people aren't alarmed by this. They are assuming an upside. If that assumption doesn't come true then we fail. And based on recent history these assumptions are bad.

Reaction Score
Exactly. There was a catch. I think we actually had a couple and neither worked out.

I remember when Greg Robinson was a big get as a high end three star. We beat UVA for him when UVA was respectable and a few other schools. He was supposed to be our Huskyback of the future in Edsall's 4-3. Scott Lutrus was really unheralded in comparison and he beat him out in the first training camp. Robinson ended up a pretty good backup.

I believe in the whole Edsall can evaluate thing back when he was recruiting from a much more talented level of player.

What I don't understand is why more people aren't alarmed by this. They are assuming an upside. If that assumption doesn't come true then we fail. And based on recent history these assumptions are bad.

only 1 of the 4 stars actually made it to campus and had like 20 catches in his career. people arent alarmed by it because there have been plenty of stars in this program that had 2 offers or less coming in to uconn.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand what you think is new about your commentary....

Its cumulative.

the commentary is that Edsall needs to go.

the sport has passed him by.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom