Is anyone else concerned with....... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is anyone else concerned with.......

Reaction Score
I can't believe all this "Z needs to do this", "Z needs time", "Z was hyped too much", etc! We are talking about a player that would be averaging 21pts and 11 rebounds while leading the team in fg% if she played starter minutes! I'll admit her defense needs work, but what more do you people want? Comparing her to Stewie, one of the 3 greatest players EVER at UConn, is just really unfair.

Reaction Score
Azura Stevens? Clearly Azura is very talented, but boneyarders were touting her as a can't miss all american. People on this very site were saying she was a lock starter, was going to dominate WCBB. You got the impression she may just be able to walk on water!! Is anyone else a bit disappointed in her minutes, production, contribution thus far? Again, clearly Azura is talented, can do so many things on the court(mostly on the offensive end) and IMHO was the main reason we won against ND at home earlier this year..

Concerned? Surprised?
Watching today's game, it seems Geno may share your concerns.

Reaction Score
When a player pick up fouls as quickly as Z did--like lighting fast---I didn't know she was in the game until she had her second foul--it gets into her head--how do I not foul--when I didn't foul. All but too ker effectively out of the game. Pretty much the same but not as quick fouls on Megan.

Hard to tell from the tv angles/view, but seems to me that she gets lots of phantom fouls and cheap fouls called on her. All in all, I'd be much happier if she got all those fouls from more physical play against opponents' bigs.

But I agree with the posters who point out that despite her weaknesses, she's making good contributions, that she's developing, and that she will be better by the tournament and a lot better next year in a Husky uniform!

Reaction Score
I like Russell and Nared---Obviously Russell is a better POST player than Azura who isn't a post--but stuck with trying to defend that position. Uconn FYI has no one that is a post unless you add a bench player Batouly, she is as close as they come at Uconn. Playing pretty good without a post aren't they.
Need clarification: do we mean post player or center? IMO UConn does not have a true center, but the team utilizes post play as good as any team anywhere, college, pro, men, women. IMO Gabby is totally a post player. When UConn uses the high/low post action, they are at their best. Pheesa is deadly from both spots, especially low. One of UConn's strengths is their ability to keep the floor spread with the shooters and cutting action, leaving the middle open for post play, backdoor cuts, and drives.
Z is the 12th best perimeter shooter on the team. She needs to work around the rectangular lane area. Period. She is 4 inches taller than 98% of all WCBB players. Perfect world: She is only allowed out of that area for pressure release. Score inside and on the break. She runs the floor well. Move her feet. Move her feet. Keep arms straight up. Bend her knees. Get in an athletic position.
Geno's doing a great job with Z. Maybe it'll click just in the nick of time.

Reaction Score
Need clarification: do we mean post player or center? IMO UConn does not have a true center, but the team utilizes post play as good as any team anywhere, college, pro, men, women. IMO Gabby is totally a post player. When UConn uses the high/low post action, they are at their best. Pheesa is deadly from both spots, especially low. One of UConn's strengths is their ability to keep the floor spread with the shooters and cutting action, leaving the middle open for post play, backdoor cuts, and drives.
Z is the 12th best perimeter shooter on the team. She needs to work around the rectangular lane area. Period. She is 4 inches taller than 98% of all WCBB players. Perfect world: She is only allowed out of that area for pressure release. Score inside and on the break. She runs the floor well. Move her feet. Move her feet. Keep arms straight up. Bend her knees. Get in an athletic position.
Geno's doing a great job with Z. Maybe it'll click just in the nick of time.
Not much to disagree with---Gabby, call her what you want--is much too much undersized. Her athletic ability is truly amazing and she does things at 5 11 that are unbelievable, IMO she isn't a post
Azura isn't a post but is being used as one. Her girth and weight are a problem against thicker posts.
Hard to tell from the tv angles/view, but seems to me that she gets lots of phantom fouls and cheap fouls called on her. All in all, I'd be much happier if she got all those fouls from more physical play against opponents' bigs.

But I agree with the posters who point out that despite her weaknesses, she's making good contributions, that she's developing, and that she will be better by the tournament and a lot better next year in a Husky uniform!
Z is progressing without a doubt. Her upside is she's a great scorer. Her down side is her lack of weight and inexperience in the post.
I have said since the start of the year : I thank JPM for the gift of Azura, Uconn needs a big. Collier and Gabby get too much hard time playing time any relief for them is necessary. Now to get great relief for Danger, Kia, KLS--?????

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There is no doubt sir, that you are the penultimate stream of thought writer in the world. :D
Geez, you are giving him an awful lot of credit. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom