Is Andre ready to take a bigger role? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is Andre ready to take a bigger role?

Reaction Score
i think we have a clear top 5 next season and it doesnt include any freshmen: cole/aj/martin/akok/sanogo.

if hawkins ends up starting at some point next year the team will be all the better for it but who is he sending to the bench? no chance it's aj or sanogo. i doubt it would be seniors cole or martin. so right now it would have to be akok just based on him not being 100% and no one wants that to be the case
Hawkins will absolutely be starting at some point next season.

Reaction Score
Andre needs to improve his handle so that he can blow by people with a dribble or two. A point guard camp over the summer would help him immensely.

Reaction Score
Hawkins will absolutely be starting at some point next season.
ok so who do you think is getting benched for him? one proclamation deserves another

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ok so who do you think is getting benched for him? one proclamation deserves another
I have no idea but Hawkins will be our most talented scorer.

Reaction Score
i guess i can narrow it down. youve said akok and sanogo are the two starting bigs. you're as high on aj as anyone. that means you must think it's either of the seniors cole or martin. i'm just not ready to pencil something like that in yet.

i think hawkins will be our best shooter but idk if he can create his own shot. for that reason im hoping sanogo will be our most talented scorer

Last edited:

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
i guess i can narrow it down. youve said akok and sanogo are the two starting bigs. you're as high on aj as anyone. that means you must think it's either of the seniors cole or martin. i'm just not ready to pencil something like that in yet.

i think hawkins will be our best shooter but idk if he can create his own shot. for that reason im hoping sanogo will be our most talented scorer
It won't be Cole as Hawkins isn't a PG.

Reaction Score
It won't be Cole as Hawkins isn't a PG.
if AJ can't play PG then that's probably true. But does that mean he thinks Martin would be the odd man out? Our second leading scorer, leading rebounder, and best one on one defender, i.e., second best player overall? kudos to hawkins if he's that good as a frosh.

as i said, i'd have to think akok has the least secure starting role next year due to his recovery but then that would mean we're playing small ball with martin at the 4....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
people thought we was gonna play pro ball after 2 years, which i'm a realist about (he's not) but he's still gotta make a big sophomore leap lest he be labeled a disappointment

playing alongside whaley for long stretches has really shackled him and he's been way too foul prone but he should be on the floor for 30+ mpg next year so i can realistically see 15+ ppg. we're gonna need it
I hear you brother I do so let’s hope ur right

Reaction Score
Article in today's New London Day. Maybe he'll be the leader the team needs next season.

"Dre brings just a real maturity and a real energy that's different than what James does," coach Dan Hurley said on Monday. "James has got a swagger and a confidence that he brings whereas Dre is a real captain type with the way he communicates with everybody and just his energy level.

"And since James has been back, he hasn't taken a step back because he's really good as a leader, even though he's just a freshman. He's probably our most vocal player."

Alternate free access: Don’t measure Jackson’s impact by statistics

Reaction Score
That's a big statement for a high schooler with no Div 1 experience. I hope your right, but you and I know that the leap from HS to D1 brings no guarantee of a great performance. Jackson came in well hyped with huge expectations, sadly his injury hampered his development.

He's already behind Martin, Akok, Cole and even Jackson in terms of development. I expected Martin or even Cole to be our most talented scorer next year. Also he's coming to a program with proven starters who should improve next season. Lastly opponents also will have an 'experience' advantage over him, meaning he will see better defenses than he sees in high school.

Admittedly I have not seen him play and I will not rely on splices of best plays mixtapes. What are you seeing in this kid, to give you that level of optimism?

Reaction Score
Obviously he is athletic and can jump. But have not seen very much else to project any type of upward trend.
Doesn't seem very hard to get by him.
Other than one dunk, have not seen him drive and finish.
Passes go to "take your pick"
Outside shooting, pretty bad.
Not sure how anyone can project him to be our best player next year.

Reaction Score
Andre does need to slow down a little, too rushed not smooth.
He can't dominate like he did a year ago and is learning how to play high level D1 basketball. The videos I saw his opponents (and teammates) had marginal talent, some were never going to ever play D1 ball. So of course he was a man among boys. Now he's playing with and against men, all under better coaching than high school. Just saying adjusting ain't easy. Freshman rarely adjust right away, especially with him after an injury and of course COVID disruptions, losing so much playing and practice time.

Next year and beyond will be different. He will have earned the starting position next season (sorry Brendan) moving into Bouk's spot. Based on his passing, fearlessness and aggressive play he does have mucho confidence and knows he belongs. That's a great foundation.

Reaction Score
That's a big statement for a high schooler with no Div 1 experience. I hope your right, but you and I know that the leap from HS to D1 brings no guarantee of a great performance. Jackson came in well hyped with huge expectations, sadly his injury hampered his development.

He's already behind Martin, Akok, Cole and even Jackson in terms of development. I expected Martin or even Cole to be our most talented scorer next year. Also he's coming to a program with proven starters who should improve next season. Lastly opponents also will have an 'experience' advantage over him, meaning he will see better defenses than he sees in high school.

Admittedly I have not seen him play and I will not rely on splices of best plays mixtapes. What are you seeing in this kid, to give you that level of optimism?
He'll be our most talented scorer when he steps on campus next year just like Bouknight was our most talented scorer when he stepped on campus last year. Not saying he'll be our leading scorer from day 1 but I expect Hurley won't be able to keep him off the court as the season progresses. Hawkins has a great shot from deep, it's accurate and he gets a lot of air under him on his jumper, think more classic jump shooting like Ray Allen instead of Curry. He's money with baseline jumpers, and hits floaters and hanging shots in the lane and is an elite athlete. He needs to get a tighter handle but that seems to really be improving.

Jackson was very raw coming in as a scorer and that part of his game will take time the passing, defense, open court play, and rebounding will all come before the scoring for him.

Reaction Score
he needs consistent jumpshot like every player in any league

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He is already taking a bigger role defensively but he needs a lot of work on that shot
He looks like he has a ton of tenacity and desire. Loads of hustle. Wish the coach could line up a half hour session for AJ with Everyday Ray to talk about harnessing that desire into shooting regimen. Oh my! With that athleticism!

Reaction Score
AJ was a ball- dominant high- scoring point forward in HS-his idol is Pistol Pete M.. He does not have a pretty jump shot but if given the green light to complement Bouk/Martin/RJ.. He could/can contribute as a scorer even as a freshman for 8-12 pts per game in the BE this year.

His confidence and floor game/D allows him to be on the floor at crunch time. If the refs let him "play" he can be very disruptive on D. Sometimes I think he surprises the refs with his crazy athleticism and they anticipate a "ghost" foul that never happens and blow the whistle.

Predicting you'll appreciate his contributions in the BET and the Tournament.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The answer is no. The talent is obvious, but the game is too fast for him right now. Too many fouls and too many turnovers.

Oddly enough, I wouldn't mind seeing him play the point for 3-5 minutes a game even though his handle needs work. I think he benefits by having a specific job on the floor. Him mixing it up on the fly hasn't been working lately.

Reaction Score
whoever said he’s more athletic than ben simmons is foolish. what he does have is the ability to shoot. if he has a confident jumpshot, he’s in the nba

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I'm not making any projections. I want to see him play more. Beyond the freakish above the rim athleticism, he just does stuff you don't see, often related to passing. I was wowed last night when he went up for a tough shot, got blocked, and off the block made a great in-air tip pass cross-court to (?).

Reaction Score
Jackson has to find a way to make an impression on the scoreboard. He put up a goose egg versus G'town in 13 minutes. You have to go back to Xavier to find a game where he scored more than 2 points. On the season he is 2-14 from the arc.

Yes, he needs minutes so he can improve and grow comfortable at this level. He does make an impact when he is on the court. But it is rarely in the scoring column. It's time to put the ball in the hoop.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we play much better with AJ in the lineup. He is our best exterior defender, a good rebounder and pushes the ball well. I believe his handle is very good and is the best passer on the team. He makes passes that nobody else does, the sky is the limit for him. I believe in the future he will be a point guard, whether it is in college or the NBA

Reaction Score
Obviously he is athletic and can jump. But have not seen very much else to project any type of upward trend.
Doesn't seem very hard to get by him.
Other than one dunk, have not seen him drive and finish.
Passes go to "take your pick"
Outside shooting, pretty bad.
Not sure how anyone can project him to be our best player next year.

Your take made me think back to another Dre, DeAndre Daniels when he was at UConn. I think you'll see Jackson work on this weaknesses and grow into a star. His athleticism jumps off the page. When combined with humility, leadership and coachability, I don't see how he won't blossom quickly. I have difficulty seeing him only at PG, I think SF might be a fit too.

Reaction Score
what mushroom cap is splicing all my comments?
i know who you are fuckface

Reaction Score
He seems less sure of himself as time goes on. Hopefully, he just finds his comfort zone with more minutes. Kid is a natural.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom