is 2011 th best recruiting class in the history of uconn? | The Boneyard

is 2011 th best recruiting class in the history of uconn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
AD top two
DD top 10
RB top 40
______

i know ranking does not mean much, just wondered what people thought

Reaction Score
3 players with an average ranking of 17 is pretty good. It depends how the class is measured. Freshman impact? or 4 year total impact? Freshman impact should be up there.

Reaction Score
3 players with an average ranking of 17 is pretty good. It depends how the class is measured. Freshman impact? or 4 year total impact? Freshman impact should be up there.

As far as rankings go, I think yes. Time will tell how great this recruiting class actually is.

I agree with Sportsman5's inclusion of freshman impact, and if we were to grade any freshman class on that factor alone, last year's class would definitely be #1.

Reaction Score
AD is by far the highest ranked player as far as I know.
Best class remains to be seen.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Let's bump this early next April so we can actually talk about how good this class really was (tough to beat last year's in that regard, to be honest). But as far as numeral rankings go, it's got to be up there.

Reaction Score
Before AD, who was previously the highest rated recruit? Wasn't Rudy #4 or so, and Villanueva around #6-7?

I'm not counting Andrew Bynum since he never played here.

Reaction Score
Rudy and AJ were pretty highly rated and came in together. I think both were top 10-20 recruits if i recall correctly.

Reaction Score
Don't forget about that Shabazz Napier, Jeremy Lamb, Roscoe Smith and Tyler Olander class. Even though they wernt highly rated they played better than any other recruiting class I saw in 2011. Even better than kentuckys class, it's not all about the ESPN ratings it's how they play throughout the season.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Before AD, who was previously the highest rated recruit? Wasn't Rudy #4 or so, and Villanueva around #6-7?

I'm not counting Andrew Bynum since he never played here.

Villenueva was higher than Rudy (yes I know diff years). CV was #2 in a couple of services iirc. RG was top 10, but I don't remember where.

Reaction Score
Rudy and AJ were pretty highly rated and came in together. I think both were top 10-20 recruits if i recall correctly.

According to this, Rudy was the highest rated recruit that UConn has had at #5. And if you want to get real specific, he was the highest rated freshman to play in college ball that year, since the 4 rated above him (Dwight Howard, Shaun Livingston, Al Jefferson & Josh Smith) went to the NBA.

Source: www.rscihoops.com

Reaction Score
This is a wait and see topic. If they live up to their rankings and some (in Boatright's case), this trio could be special.

As someone pointed out, best recruiting class as in average ranking, freshman production/impact, overall production/impact?

For example Rudy & Charlie might have been our highest rated High Schoolers but neither are in my top 10 high impact Huskies ever. In both cases, they never lived up to their hype, and their biggest spike in productivity was at the next level. Contrast those two with the impact of Chris Smith, Donyell Marshall, Ray Allen, Rip, Khalid, Ricky, Caron, Emeka, Ben, Hasheem, Adrien, Kemba, Lamb, etc. If not for all the time missed due to injury and such, AJ would be in this group. Some of you might want to include him in your top 10 impact Huskies.

By the way, many forget that Caron was ranked very high. I can't remember where he ranked overall (#5) since he was a Prep kid, but he was clarly top 10.

Getting back to the overall production/impact, the big 2011 class (Roscoe, Lamb, Napier, Olander, Giffey, Bradley & Wolf) are well on their way to greatness, 1995 (6?) Donyell, Donny, Original Rudy (Johnson), Ollie, Fair, Bo Willingham, and one other (Travis...he came a year late?) that I'm forgetting won a ton of games. Rip, KFree, Jake, Jakes HS teamate (wing who didn't pan out) and ? had a pretty darn nice run plus our first NC. The Rudy/AJ class was supposed to be very good but never panned out.

Hand's down the most frustrating big class 2006 (Sticks, Dyson, Hasheem, Wiggins, Kelly, Dove, Edwards & Eaves) - Although they made it to -4, the gave us great angst.

The 2008 class goes down as the what could have been class that inlcuded Kembva, Majok & Miles.

I didn't realize till I looked it up that Charlie, Boone & Marcus Williams were all part of the same class (2003). Although CV left before he really had much of an impact, JB and MW both had very nice 4 year runs...hum...did MW leave a year early?

Although we don't get the Burger-AAs that some programs get, we certainly have had our share of talent. JC still is hands-down the best coach as far as getting more with less.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
It's most certainly not better than the 2010 recruiting class until they win a national championship. duh

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
It's amazing that we reloaded with 3 top 40 (2 top 10) players given the fact that we return 4 starters and 2 contributing bench players from a national championship team and we are dealing with a loss of 3 scholarships.

I have such high hopes for this team. Extremely Deep, Talented, Experienced and Young team we have this year.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
It's most certainly not better than the 2010 recruiting class until they win a national championship. duh

And even then it will be championship number 2 for the 2010 class

Reaction Score
as far as rankings go,sure this is problably the best. as far as production and accomplishments i dont think the 2010 class will be outdone. even if the freshmen class wins a title it still gives the 2010 class 2 titles. so it basically comes down to what you mean by best recruiting class. the only way this years class can move ahead of last year is if RB out plays SN and takes the starting job. DD out plays RS and takes his starting job and AD wins some outstanding player awards and leads us to the national title.

Reaction Score

I think I was thinking preseason hype or ranking out of high school...but there are many ways to think about the question....

Reaction Score
This is a wait and see topic. If they live up to their rankings and some (in Boatright's case), this trio could be special.

As someone pointed out, best recruiting class as in average ranking, freshman production/impact, overall production/impact?

For example Rudy & Charlie might have been our highest rated High Schoolers but neither are in my top 10 high impact Huskies ever. In both cases, they never lived up to their hype, and their biggest spike in productivity was at the next level. Contrast those two with the impact of Chris Smith, Donyell Marshall, Ray Allen, Rip, Khalid, Ricky, Caron, Emeka, Ben, Hasheem, Adrien, Kemba, Lamb, etc. If not for all the time missed due to injury and such, AJ would be in this group. Some of you might want to include him in your top 10 impact Huskies.

By the way, many forget that Caron was ranked very high. I can't remember where he ranked overall (#5) since he was a Prep kid, but he was clarly top 10.

Getting back to the overall production/impact, the big 2011 class (Roscoe, Lamb, Napier, Olander, Giffey, Bradley & Wolf) are well on their way to greatness, 1995 (6?) Donyell, Donny, Original Rudy (Johnson), Ollie, Fair, Bo Willingham, and one other (Travis...he came a year late?) that I'm forgetting won a ton of games. Rip, KFree, Jake, Jakes HS teamate (wing who didn't pan out) and ? had a pretty darn nice run plus our first NC. The Rudy/AJ class was supposed to be very good but never panned out.

Hand's down the most frustrating big class 2006 (Sticks, Dyson, Hasheem, Wiggins, Kelly, Dove, Edwards & Eaves) - Although they made it to -4, the gave us great angst.

The 2008 class goes down as the what could have been class that inlcuded Kembva, Majok & Miles.

I didn't realize till I looked it up that Charlie, Boone & Marcus Williams were all part of the same class (2003). Although CV left before he really had much of an impact, JB and MW both had very nice 4 year runs...hum...did MW leave a year early?

Although we don't get the Burger-AAs that some programs get, we certainly have had our share of talent. JC still is hands-down the best coach as far as getting more with less.
I believe Donyell was ranked pretty high.

Reaction Score
In the Calhoun era the two best freshmen were probably Nadev Henefeld and Doron Sheffer. Nadev's class included several other underreguarded players. That team, 89-90, made the biggest jump thru the inclusion of freshmen until the 10-11 team. (BTW I realize that Doron wsn't in Nadev's class.)

Reaction Score
Don't forget about that Shabazz Napier, Jeremy Lamb, Roscoe Smith and Tyler Olander class. Even though they wernt highly rated they played better than any other recruiting class I saw in 2011. Even better than kentuckys class, it's not all about the ESPN ratings it's how they play throughout the season.
+1 how quickly we forget. Kemba's supporting cast was certainly one of the top recruiting classes in history. Everyone was a contributor and excellent teammate which means more than the rankings. No scrubs in that class, for sure.

Reaction Score
Dogmania - Richie Ashmeade came in with the Donyell.Donny/KO class but didn't qualify to play that season..

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
AD top two
DD top 10
RB top 40
______

i know ranking does not mean much, just wondered what people thought
In terms of the rankings out of high school, absolutely.

Reaction Score
Didn't Emeka and Ben Gordon come in the same class? I'd consider them to be the best ever in terms of impact. Last year's class was just a great supporting cast to Kemba's brilliance and AO's brawn. Though we don't win it all without Lamb's critical baskets. He was clutch in closing minutes, especially vs SDSU and Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Yes, and they are best class imo. National champs, 2 BE tourney titles, I believe at least 1 regular season title(maybe 2), and they were the 2nd and 3rd picks in the draft. Next would be the 96 class with Rip, KFree and Jake, this class is great on paper but they have a long way to go to compare to those two, plus the 2010 is still to be determined.

Didn't Emeka and Ben Gordon come in the same class? I'd consider them to be the best ever in terms of impact. Last year's class was just a great supporting cast to Kemba's brilliance and AO's brawn. Though we don't win it all without Lamb's critical baskets. He was clutch in closing minutes, especially vs SDSU and Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Was it Ben whose rankings plummeted because he didn't play in a bunch of tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom