Is 1999 Duke the best basketball team ever? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is 1999 Duke the best basketball team ever?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There were two dominant teams that year. Cincinnati started strong, but faded down the stretch. UConn was really good, and I thought UConn should have been no more than a 2 or 3 point dog in the Championship Game. Duke and UConn were really close that season.

Reaction Score
UConn was better than them, it's not watering down anything.
A lot of things went right for us that night, Ricky playing out of his mind the 1st half, Wane hit a big shot or two, our matchups delivered especially KFree with Battier. Our AA played better than theirs, and Khalid hit big shots and free throws. Our coach out coached K. But with all that (us playing at our best) it was still a close damn game. It certainly wasn't an upset, but to me it was a game amoung equals. That's why it was such a great game and the ending so satisfying.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A lot of things went right for us that night, Ricky playing out of his mind the 1st half, Wane hit a big shot or two, our matchups delivered especially KFree with Battier. Our AA played better than theirs, and Khalid hit big shots and free throws. Our coach out coached K. But with all that (us playing at our best) it was still a close damn game. It certainly wasn't an upset, but to me it was a game amount equals. That's why it was such a great game.

UConn had better overall team speed, and it was a problem for Duke all night. Ricky Moore looked like he was playing against rec league defenders. Duke couldn't stay in front of us, and was having trouble getting shots off.

Reaction Score
UConn had better overall team speed, and it was a problem for Duke all night. Ricky Moore looked like he was playing against rec league defenders. Duke couldn't stay in front of us, and was having trouble getting shots off.
I also think our players were tougher (street/playground). Dook looked like a collection of suburban kids, whereas our looked battle tested. Back then the BE teams never flopped, which was dook's one advantage. When the refs weren't calling OFs, they couldn't stop us. Calhoun matched K in the ref respect department.

Reaction Score
Either Duke had better players and a worse coach and we had worse players and a better coach or we had better players and a better coach.

We won. These are the only three options.

Reaction Score
I obviously get the fact that in a single-elimination tournament, the best team doesn't always win; do any of us believe George Mason was really a better team than us in 2006? At the same time, when the entire point of the college basketball season is to win a single-elimination tournament, it seems a bit ridiculous that a team could be considered the best ever if they didn't win a championship.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I have a memory that I'm pretty sure is accurate. UConn and Duke played three teams in common that year and UConn won all three by a greater margin (I don't think any of the three were any good). That stat was consistently ignored before the game and has been consistently forgotten since then but it should hold some weight in the discussion of who was the better team.

Reaction Score
'99 Duke was the most dominant team in their season of any team of the last 25 years.

That much is not debatable. The box scores exist. They demolished teams that year.

'99 UConn was one of the best defensive teams of all time, though. Irresistible force meets immovable object in a 1 game series. Best memory ever.
And I endured a 36 hour bus trip to Tampa bought tickets 4th row center court from scalpers......... and my 16 year old and I saw the game of a lifetime

Reaction Score
We had a guy named Soulemane.
And we had a Senior point guard, most helpful against a strong dook team in a must win game. He was fabulous on both ends, and was our leader that night (also tied for most boards with KFree, he had 8 DRebs!).

Now that I think about it, I didn't really see any on court leadership on the other side.

Also got to give our bench a shout out, the best in college bball that year and certainly the Tourney; Mouring, Wane, Jones and Saunders all contributed! Without our bench we lose, they win.

Reaction Score
I have a memory that I'm pretty sure is accurate. UConn and Duke played three teams in common that year and UConn won all three by a greater margin (I don't think any of the three were any good). That stat was consistently ignored before the game and has been consistently forgotten since then but it should hold some weight in the discussion of who was the better team.
Interesting but too much work. I prefer:

77-74

Reaction Score
I was commenting on the prior post where he said Duke was not a good defensive team. Brand was an absolute college beast, Battier was defensive player of the year, and the rest were all around great players. Wake up and smell the coffee Mrs. Bueller.
How would one know that? In the future if you are replying to someone's post actually hit the reply button so people know what you're talking about.

Reaction Score
Either Duke had better players and a worse coach and we had worse players and a better coach or we had better players and a better coach.

We won. These are the only three options.
That's only two options...

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
I was fortunate to have been at that 1999 UConn championship game and every time, during the game, we spelled-out and chanted UCONN the arrogant Dukies finished it by yelling “Sucks”. At the end of the game, we all turned toward them and, as one, yelled “ Who sucks now!” What a game...what an unforgettable ending...what a delightful, fulfilling, total satisfaction!!
Was there, too. Duke fans were so obnoxious before the game. Nowhere to be found after the game.

Reaction Score
St. John's was one. We both beat them by 4...and then we slaughtered them in the BET in one of the best performances I've ever seen.

Another: Fairfield

UConn 102-67
Duke 98-66

Another: Michigan State

UConn 82-68
Duke 68-62

Reaction Score
I think my favorite quirk of that game Calhoun managing Voskuhl and Wane's fouls so closely that he was able to spot in Antric Klaiber, of all people, for a minute of game action, just his 74th minute of play all season... but then again I always enjoyed seeing walk-ons and back of the bench guys getting their few shots at glory.

Reaction Score

Michigan State and St. John's weren't any good that year?

Reaction Score
Nope, but I should have used a comma instead of an and. Very pedantic of you to point it out. Thank you for the effort.
Comma does nothing. Still just two. :)

Duke having better players necessarily means UConn has worse.
Duke having a worse coach necessarily means UConn has a better.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
We had the two best guys on the court where you could put the ball in their hands in the last 2 minutes of games, clear out and they'll get you a bucket. Duke didn't really have anyone who could kill you off the dribble. We had the bodies and the coach to limit Brand. We beat them 6 or 7 times out of 10.
Exactly. Duke lacked ball handlers and creators. Strictly a system team. We had it all.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
They did hang a banner... for 2nd.

museum-display.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members