OT: - iPhone store —stuffy? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: iPhone store —stuffy?

Reaction Score
I agree with the boomer. I never feel comfortable in that store.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You're definitely not. I think the aesthetic they go for is pretty weird. Seems less like a store and more like a showcase to me. It isn't a very welcoming environment generally.

And the lengths to which people will go to explain why apple is "so" much better is weird. They're computers and phones--it is what it is. Android and iPhone both work fine. 99% of people talking about these "features" wouldn't notice if you took them away anyways. Those same people are just using instagram and facebook anyways. Apple has always been more about looks than better tech.

I do some pretty heavy photo editing in lightroom on my Macbook Pro just because I like to use my breaks at work and it's portable, but everything works fine on my PC too. Usually only that when batch editing a lot of photos at once.
All stores are showcases now, there is no retail left. You should see what it's like in downtown Chicago, same for NYC.

it is definitely a car lot feeling, mixed with airport/airline herding, with the self righteous condescension from a Whole Foods type atmosphere.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I bought an iPad for my wife last year. She took 2 classes in the West Hartford store just to get some pointers on tips and tricks for using it. The "kids" who provided the instruction were fantastic.

If you just walk in and stand there, you may be ignored. If you engage the employees, they're more than happy to help.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I bought an iPad for my wife last year. She took 2 classes in the West Hartford store just to get some pointers on tips and tricks for using it. The "kids" who provided the instruction were fantastic.

If you just walk in and stand there, you may be ignored. If you engage the employees, they're more than happy to help.
The classes are free and really helpful. I was the only one to show up for one of mine and was treated to a private session with a totally helpful, brilliant and engaging 20-something and I just basically asked her everything I wanted to know and she showed me some other features and functions and explained options for certain apps, etc.

It was based on her recommendation that I got GoodNotes and it has changed my life.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought the snotty vibe was part of the charm.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
I was born after 1990 and I totally agree with OP. Obviously Apple makes great products but I hate the Apple Store. I’ve never had a timely / efficient experience and every hourly employee thinks they’re Steve Jobs Jr.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It is literally the easiest retail experience on earth outside of a hot dog truck.

Walk in, tell them what you want, they give it to you and you leave. You do not even go to a cash register to wait to pay. If it’s like a case or something on the shelves, just walk over, scan it with your phone to pay and then you leave.

Only thing close right now is Best Buy where you can buy online and they will come out and hand it to you without you even getting out of the car.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score

Thought I would close out this thread with this video.
My French is a little rusty but I think he said “you 38 year old hipsters think you are Steve Jobs. I’ll never step foot in an iPhone store again!”

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The only reason to go to the Apple store for a purchase is if you are too impatient to buy online.

The one time I went to the Apple Store I waited 20 min while 1/2 the store employees stood around talking to each other.

Reaction Score
I have the Iphone 7....we are leaving Verizon after 14 years and going to T-Mobile...We are both getting the Iphone 12 Pro...and I get $530 trade in on my old 7.

Ms. Billy has a Galaxy 8 android and it will go in a drawer, to finally get tossed.

Samsung has a better camera, Pixel makes a great phone...but it was the T Mobile 5g over 55 deal that brought ua in...If you are already "captured" by a carrier they will not offer you as good a deal as one brining over a line...sadly old customers are not rewarded.
How's the Tmobile coverage....that was always the issue but maybe it's better with the sprint merger?

Reaction Score
Here in the mountains..coverage is important....right now, Spint and T mobile are still combimimg towers...but TMobile 5g (base 6 not mmWave) is all over my area....and 4gle is everywhere but the unpopulted montain range..

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have two phones because I thought that was a prerequisite for membership here - one of them is a new Pixel on Google’s cell service, whatever it’s called.

It generally uses the T-Mobile network...honestly, I am impressed with it. And while the Pixel is meh, I’m really a fan of Google’s cell service. It’s simple, cheap and flexible....basically, everything ATT and Verizon are not.

Reaction Score
I have two phones because I thought that was a prerequisite for membership here - one of them is a new Pixel on Google’s cell service, whatever it’s called.

It generally uses the T-Mobile network...honestly, I am impressed with it. And while the Pixel is meh, I’m really a fan of Google’s cell service. It’s simple, cheap and flexible....basically, everything ATT and Verizon are not.

My wife and I have the Pixel phones dating back to when they first came out. I love them and will not go back to another Android that isn't a Pixel.

Regards to Google Fi, I buy my phones outright through Google and have the Verizon Prepaid service and for my wife and I our bill is 81.25 per month with each of us getting 15GB per month of data. That included taxes and everything. I can't find a better deal than that. Google Fi is more expensive I believe.

Reaction Score
TMobill...Over 55...Two lines for $70 total (including taxes and fees)...unlimited talk, text, data...3GB for other devices as a mobile hotspot...two Iphone 12 Pro's for $50 month (total) for 24 months.

Reaction Score
Confession...when our son was 14, we added a line and phone for him under a family plan....he is now 36 and we are cutting him loose to have his own plan....It just never occurred to us to change the plan. We had to jump through hoops to allow him to carry his number since the Verizon account was under our name...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Never had a bad experience at the Apple Store. In - Out quickly. Helpful when I needed service or had questions. Overall 4.5 out of 5 stars.

As far as @8893 comment about paying twice as must as a competitor, I've had my MacBook Pro for nearly 10 years. I always had top of the line gaming PC's in my 20's before I switched over to Mac, and I've never had a computer last this long, especially a laptop.

You get what you pay for. And I've gotten more than I expected several times over. Their quality made me a fan boy.

Reaction Score
Call me a boomer or grumpy old man but am I the only one who thinks this store is so pretentious, uptight or just plain snobby?
Kinda get the vibe that are doing YOU a favor by letting you shop there.
To their credit they have the most rigorous Covid prevention for a retail store
100% right.
The Covid protocols are silly. Just a show.

they are also infatuated with lines and queing people. It is all marketing.

As someone with a six sigma background, Apple store drives me nuts. Lines is a form of waste. They need to create flow.

Same withTreehouse Beer. They love their lines. Ridiculous. Find a way to get people their product immediately upon arrival.

I am going to go yell at the chipmunks in my yard right now.

Reaction Score
Ohhh. We got 4 iPhones, 2 watches, two sets of air pods and an iPad.
My bill with AT&T is about $370 a month. I can’t decipher it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom