iPad App | The Boneyard

iPad App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I just suggested to Harriet Unger that an iPad App for UConn Women's basketball might be a great thing to have. Anyone else interested in that and/or an iPhone App I suggest you contact Harriet and share your thoughts.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is much easier to solve the issue for Android because it supports the Flash platform which Apple does not on the iPad or iPhone. I understand there are some workaround possibility apps on the market, however, one is called Penguin.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Very true! Has there been any mention of the pricing for this year's Hoopstreams package?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Subscriptions for Hoopstreams should be available approx October 1st according to Harriet. It's my understanding pricing will be similar to last year.

CPTV Harriet

Media Queen
Reaction Score
The subscription to Hoop Streams will indeed be up on the site and active Oct. 1. Prices are the same as last year. We have a newer way of delivering the service to you along with a redundancy. I am told it will be 5 times faster than in previous years. We have invested many dollars in new equipment and in the method of delivery - all a significant upgrade.

As for iPhone and iPad: our service is based on a Flash platform (not supported by Apple for those two devices). However, I am told that we are in the process of finding a work around to the issue. As the owner of both devices, I for one, will be very happy! I will post here if and when it happens.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
The subscription to Hoop Streams will indeed be up on the site and active Oct. 1. Prices are the same as last year. We have a newer way of delivering the service to you along with a redundancy. I am told it will be 5 times faster than in previous years. We have invested many dollars in new equipment and in the method of delivery - all a significant upgrade.

As for iPhone and iPad: our service is based on a Flash platform (not supported by Apple for those two devices). However, I am told that we are in the process of finding a work around to the issue. As the owner of both devices, I for one, will be very happy! I will post here if and when it happens.

Adobe has added HTTP live streaming to their Flash Media Streaming Server 4.5 specifically to support iOS devices and as a direct result of the HTML 5 threat.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Adobe has added HTTP live streaming to their Flash Media Streaming Server 4.5 specifically to support iOS devices and as a direct result of the HTML 5 threat.
But what does this mean in the present for IOS devices?

toadfoot

Reaction Score
But what does this mean in the present for IOS devices?

Since Hoopstreams is based on a Flash platform, it seems reasonable to believe that upgrading to 4.5 would immediately enable support for iOS, but whether CPTV can upgrade only Harriet can answer. Existing iOS devices (3.0+) are capable of receiving the stream via Safari or possibly other native apps so it's a only server side problem.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
HTTP Live Streaming allows for a Flash Media Server to broadcast streaming video to any iOS device or any device that does not have Flash installed. (Or an Android phone that has Flash turned off to save battery life.)

Basically, it's Adobe waving the white flag.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
HTTP Live Streaming allows for a Flash Media Server to broadcast streaming video to any iOS device or any device that does not have Flash installed. (Or an Android phone that has Flash turned off to save battery life.)

Thanks, toad and Fishy. That sounds very promising.

toadfoot

Reaction Score

Yep. I'm not an expert with either, but it might be too late to prevent HTML 5 from largely replacing Flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom