OT: - iPad Air vs iPad Pro | The Boneyard

OT: iPad Air vs iPad Pro

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Worth the upgrade? My Air is almost two years old and has a couple long, thin cracks in the screen. Not sure I need the upgrade, will soon.

Any have the Pro?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Worth the upgrade? My Air is almost two years old and has a couple long, thin cracks in the screen. Not sure I need the upgrade, will soon.

Any have the Pro?
I have the Pro and love it. Never had the Air so I can't compare. The only other one we have had is the first edition iPad that I bought my wife around ten years ago, which we can now use as a door stop.

Reaction Score
What do you use it for? I just bought another basic IPad for one my staff and its fine for everything we do with it. $299 without cellular.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I have a 12.9" iPad with sim card compatibility and I have a Google fi sim card so data is free. I find that the iPad is really my go to companion, but I do like the Surface laptop when I have PC programs or access that I need - like Remote Connection for my third party hosted cloud access, and I love the touch screen functionality. I picked up the Surface laptop after getting annoyed with my airbook, which I was able to sell for a nice amount!
Chromebooks are also a great alternative if you only use online apps and browsers.

I'm lucky in that I buy whatever tech I want, so I have both a surface and an iPad, but given a choice between the airbook and iPad - the large ipad is the winner IF you use lots of apps like Notability, but if you use the machine on your lap, then you'll probably want to stay with the airbook as the iPad portfolio is too floppy to be comfortable on a lap, better on a table or as a tablet.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What do you use it for? I just bought another basic IPad for one my staff and its fine for everything we do with it. $299 without cellular.

With My current eye problems, I'm mostly looking for a bigger and better display. I also like the 1 tb storage option. I lose electricity and cable up to a dozen times a year (Spectrum sucks). I've been downloading my Amazon Prime Video purchases to watch when power or cable is out.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Google fi sim?

I have a 12.9" iPad with sim card compatibility and I have a Google fi sim card so data is free. I find that the iPad is really my go to companion, but I do like the Surface laptop when I have PC programs or access that I need - like Remote Connection for my third party hosted cloud access, and I love the touch screen functionality. I picked up the Surface laptop after getting annoyed with my airbook, which I was able to sell for a nice amount!
Chromebooks are also a great alternative if you only use online apps and browsers.

I'm lucky in that I buy whatever tech I want, so I have both a surface and an iPad, but given a choice between the airbook and iPad - the large ipad is the winner IF you use lots of apps like Notability, but if you use the machine on your lap, then you'll probably want to stay with the airbook as the iPad portfolio is too floppy to be comfortable on a lap, better on a table or as a tablet.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Any have the Pro?

I got the newer Air. No need for a Pro in my opinion. Size is identical.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I got the newer Air. No need for a Pro in my opinion. Size is identical.

The Pro offers a 12.9 inch display vs my the 10.5 inch display on my air.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Pro offers a 12.9 inch display vs my the 10.5 inch display on my air.

Ahh, the big Pro. I haven't used it, but I picked it up and handled it. Felt unwieldy to hold. The new Pro 11 is a half inch bigger than the Air now, when I got my Air last year they were the same 10.5 format. Do you want a home button? Might be worth looking at the smaller Pro.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Ahh, the big Pro. I haven't used it, but I picked it up and handled it. Felt unwieldy to hold. The new Pro 11 is a half inch bigger than the Air now, when I got my Air last year they were the same 10.5 format. Do you want a home button? Might be worth looking at the smaller Pro.

What is a home button? It that the button they took of the iPhone and makes everything more difficult?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What is a home button? It that the button they took of the iPhone and makes everything more difficult?

Yes, both new Pro models no longer have a home button, like the new iPhones.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes, both new Pro models no longer have a home button, like the new iPhones.
My iPhone is a 6, so it still has a home button; I have the new iPad Pro without a home button and I haven't missed it.

I have the larger one, which I like because it resembles the size of a standard 8.5 x 11 pad, and that's the medium to which I am most accustomed. The Apple Pencil has been huge for me; I use Goodnotes a ton now and use the Pencil to edit, markup and sign documents remotely all the time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Have both Pro models and the Air.

If you’re looking to make it your main computer, I would endorse the larger of the two Pros.

I don’t really see a need for 1TB, though. Save the coin there and invest it in the new keyboard Instead.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Google fi sim?
Yes, I have Fi for my wife and I with unlimited data, so I have a sim in my iPad. (I added back a daughter and son in law as the 4 person plan is $45/per line) It's why I went with the cellular version. I also saved a few hundred dollars by buying an open box from Amazon Warehouse!

Drumguy

Reaction Score
I use the pencil a lot and have found Notability is a killer app for me - you can take notes, annotate anything etc.

I find the 12.9 is not unwieldy, its just a beautiful screen. As Fishy said, there is no reason to get a ton of memory as most of the time you can get to a place where you can download what you need. I actually went with the smallest memory and the cellular so I didn't have to rely on wifi, and almost have always had service.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Have both Pro models and the Air.

If you’re looking to make it your main computer, I would endorse the larger of the two Pros.

I don’t really see a need for 1TB, though. Save the coin there and invest it in the new keyboard Instead.
Right answer all the way around. If you’re using it predominantly for web browsing on a 2 year air I’ll go even further just fix cracked screen

and storage size is a joke these days! Only the heaviest lifters ever need to save anything locally.
1TB iPad? Lol. I save music files to mine and wouldn’t touch it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom