IOWA -2.5 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

IOWA -2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No. I'll take all-time leading scorer and third most assists by itself.

Some are trying to say she's not the best ever because she hasn't won a title. Give her UConn's talent and she would have won all four years too.

The fact she has elevated Iowa to where they are speaks volumes.
So the fact that she's elevated Iowa to a final four birth makes the greatest women's college basketball player of all time? I see.

Colin Jost Laughing GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reaction Score
So the fact that she's elevated Iowa to a final four birth makes the greatest women's college basketball player of all time? I see.

I can see that since UConn wasn't in the Final Four last year that you guys didn't bother paying any attention.

Reaction Score
it sounds like you really don’t know much about women’s basketball… other than CC. There is parity in the game now but there has always been talent. The landscape might continue to change and the game does evolve yet many talented women have come before the Iowa team of the past few years.
Thing is, beyond Caitlin, Iowa is not all that talented. She just makes them all better.

Women's college basketball has not ever seen a player like Caitlin Clark. No other single player has sold out visiting arenas.

Reaction Score
I was hoping we wouldn't go into an argument who is better. For me-- I've enjoyed the women';s game more for many years because of the 4 years. But I get it. Hard to avoid the head-to-head. I just know when I watch both of them - I just say "wow." Whether one is 2nd all-time or 4th alltime or 9th etc - they're both obscene. They are both all-time greats.

With that said- you imply that you give UCONN no chance?
No, I'd call it a toss-up. If Caitlin from the LSU game shows up, I certainly like Iowa's chances.

Reaction Score
We should cut @BrewHawk some slack. He’s defending his hero. That’s fine. Caitlin gets tons of respect around here… even from me, but we love and respect Paige more. But I totally get how hard it is for an Iowa fan to hear anyone raised above the hometown hero, especially since this is uncharted territory for the Hawkeyes and Caitlin has done truly wonderful things. But on this forum, all the benefit of the doubt must go to Paige. Even though Caitlin’s talent and achievements are comparable, the suggestion that she’s better than Paige will never win an argument here.

But I still enjoy hearing the perspective of fans from other programs.

Reaction Score
We should cut @BrewHawk some slack. He’s defending his hero. That’s fine. Caitlin gets tons of respect around here… even from me, but we love and respect Paige more. But I totally get how hard it is for an Iowa fan to hear anyone raised above the hometown hero, especially since this is uncharted territory for the Hawkeyes and Caitlin has done truly wonderful things. But on this forum, all the benefit of the doubt must go to Paige. Even though Caitlin’s talent and achievements are comparable, the suggestion that she’s better than Paige will never win an argument here.

But I still enjoy hearing the perspective of fans from other programs.
I truly admire the adversity that Paige has overcome.

Not my hero, but what she has done for women's college basketball over the past four years certainly deserves respect. More than several here are giving her.

I think Friday night will open a few more eyes as to what Caitlin's tremendous abilities are.

I'm sure she feels very honored to be on the same court as the storied UConn Huskies.

Reaction Score
Thing is, beyond Caitlin, Iowa is not all that talented. She just makes them all better.

Women's college basketball has not ever seen a player like Caitlin Clark. No other single player has sold out visiting arenas.
I've followed Clark for 4 years. I've greatly enjoyed her play. She is certainly one of the most talented players to come around in many years. The things I've always disliked is her pleading for fouls, and her flopping. When she flopped on that fan AFTER the Ohio State game ... well she lost a lot of my respect there.

Reaction Score
No. I'll take all-time leading scorer and third most assists by itself.

Some are trying to say she's not the best ever because she hasn't won a title. Give her UConn's talent and she would have won all four years too.

The fact she has elevated Iowa to where they are speaks volumes.
I don’t think anyone is saying she’s not a great player. We’ve been privileged and lucky to have seen many great players here. We know them when we see them. We just play the game a little differently here, and individual achievements aren’t put ahead of the team. And to be clear, I’m not saying she puts herself above her team, but she does shoot more than most of our players. Maybe she feels she needs to do that to help her team win? That’s where actually winning comes in I guess.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone is saying she’s not a great player. We’ve been privileged and lucky to have seen many great players here. We know them when we see them. We just play the game a little differently here, and individual achievements aren’t put ahead of the team. And to be clear, I’m not saying she puts herself above her team, but she does shoot more than most of our players. Maybe she feels she needs to do that to help her team win? That’s where actually winning comes in I guess.
When you don't get the five star talent that the Huskies do, you've gotta figure out a different way to win. She's our best chance, and opponents have known it for four years now.

Reaction Score
I think Friday night will open a few more eyes as to what Caitlin's tremendous abilities are.
I can’t agree with you here. I think Caitlin suffers from a bit of media over-saturation at present. No one who follows college basketball, women’s or men’s, is unaware of her abilities or achievements. And even the general public who don’t follow sports closely has heard a ton about her. She’s almost the only name from WCBB that most of the population has even heard of. I think this will put tremendous pressure on her Friday and here’s why.

If Iowa loses to UConn and it’s perceived (rightly or wrongly) to be because Paige outplayed her, I fear her current media ascendancy will take a significant hit. She’s been overhyped and she doesn’t need the burden of it, since her real talent and achievements already deserve immense respect. If she takes a hard fall in public opinion, it will be undeserved.

Paige was widely perceived to be the best player in the nation as a freshman and then suffered catastrophic injuries. This is really the first chance for the general public to measure the two of them against each other since. I hope they both do well — and of course hope UConn wins.

Reaction Score
No, I'd call it a toss-up. If Caitlin from the LSU game shows up, I certainly like Iowa's chances.
Okay - it sounded diferent. I agree toss-up with edge to Iowa. IMO the greatest college matchup potentially since Magic/Bird college game. This might sound like an excuse - but imo Paige has yet to hit her full-impact stride. I could be way off ofc. But she has missed 1.5 - 2 years of basketball. But anyhow-- what a matchup!!! :)

Reaction Score

Right? Like come on now. I can think of plenty of players who've done that -- Skylar Diggins, anyone?? -- and sure it's very cool but that simply cannot be the cutoff for GOAT. At this point you'd have to have won multiple times to crack the top 5.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm sure she feels very honored to be on the same court as the storied UConn Huskies.
Probably.

Reaction Score
So where does Kelsey Plum rank for you? Second greatest of all time? After all, she set the scoring record and took her team of "not all that talented" teammates to the Final Four.

BTW, in the 2016 tournament Washington was a #7 seed that beat #2 seed Maryland, #3 seed Kentucky, and #4 seed Stanford to get there.

Reaction Score
I'm with Bigboote. Put NIka on Caitlan much of the time and Paige on Caitlan some of the time. Make her life difficult and give her different looks........

Reaction Score
So where does Kelsey Plum rank for you? Second greatest of all time? After all, she set the scoring record and took her team of "not all that talented" teammates to the Final Four.

BTW, in the 2016 tournament Washington was a #7 seed that beat #2 seed Maryland, #3 seed Kentucky, and #4 seed Stanford to get there.
Is Kelsey #3 all-time in assists? Has she revolutionized women's college basketball?

Yes, I said it.

No other women's player has ever had such an effect on the game. Set yet another ratings record vs. LSU with over 12 million viewers. She will help get more eyeballs on UConn than there's ever been as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom