IOWA -2.5 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

IOWA -2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...except for one.
I assume you mean Clarke. I matched her with Bueckers. It’s my opinion, so I take Bueckers. All are entitled to their own. I’m sure Nika will have the lions share of guarding Clarke though. Makes me like my choice even more.

Reaction Score
I assume you mean Clarke. I matched her with Bueckers. It’s my opinion, so I take Bueckers. All are entitled to their own. I’m sure Nika will have the lions share of guarding Clarke though. Makes me like my choice even more.
No, I mean Clark. The best WCBB player of all time.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Sorry, she hasn't even won a championship, let alone a final four MOP. The only thing that she is good at is shooting the ball, that doesn't mean she makes them. So far in 37 games she has had 840 attempts with 386 made shots. 508 of those attempts have been 3 pointers making 193 for a 38% clip. While on her 2 point shots she is 193 out of 332 which is a 58% clip, most of her 2 point shots are lay ups. She is proficient at the line shooting 86.2% making 218 of 253 FT's. Has a high average of assists per game because most teams try to double team her. Last year one person forced her to shoot only 9-24, 2-11 from 3, that very same person will be guarding her on Friday.

UConn has probably had at least 10 players that are better basketball players than Clark, they just didn't shoot the ball as much as she does, because they had other teammates that were good and that Geno wouldn't let them stay in long if all they did was shoot the ball every time they got it. If Maya Moore shot the ball as much as Clark she would have at least 4,500 points if not more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry, she hasn't even won a championship, let alone a final four MOP. The only thing that she is good at is shooting the ball, that doesn't mean she makes them. So far in 37 games she has had 840 attempts with 386 made shots. 508 of those attempts have been 3 pointers making 193 for a 38% clip. While on her 2 point shots she is 193 out of 332 which is a 58% clip, most of her 2 point shots are lay ups. She is proficient at the line shooting 86.2% making 218 of 253 FT's. Has a high average of assists per game because most teams try to double team her. Last year one person forced her to shoot only 9-24, 2-11 from 3, that very same person will be guarding her on Friday.
So you have no appreciation for her passing ability? Definitely taking your opinions with a grain of salt.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart says hello...
IMG_2011.jpeg

CL82

Reaction Score
I would argue she isn't even the best UConn player of all time (there are a few others to consider).

The women's basketball landscape has changed dramatically in the past five years. Much more parity and much more talent.
Yes there are quite a few to choose from Connecticut's storied history, but a four-time national champion, four-time final four most outstanding player seems like a pretty good place to start.

In her senior year she swept all possible individual honors: she won her third straight Naismith College Player of the Year award, Wade Trophy, Associated Press Women's College Basketball Player of the Year award, USBWA Women's National Player of the Year award; she was also voted American Athletic Player of the Year (third time) and a third straight unanimous First-Team All-American in WBCA, USBWA and AP polls. She was the first-ever unanimous pick for AP Player of the Year and the first-ever three-time AP Player of the Year.

That's pretty tough to beat, don't you think?

Reaction Score
Yes there are quite a few to choose from Connecticut's storied history, but a four-time national champion, four-time final four most outstanding player seems like a pretty good place to start.

In her senior year she swept all possible individual honors: she won her third straight Naismith College Player of the Year award, Wade Trophy, Associated Press Women's College Basketball Player of the Year award, USBWA Women's National Player of the Year award; she was also voted American Athletic Player of the Year (third time) and a third straight unanimous First-Team All-American in WBCA, USBWA and AP polls. She was the first-ever unanimous pick for AP Player of the Year and the first-ever three-time AP Player of the Year.

That's pretty tough to beat, don't you think?
Surrounded by five star talent. I could only imagine how much pressure that would take off of Caitlin and how many more assists she would have (beyond being the third most all-time, after scoring as much as she has).

You haven't watched much Iowa basketball, have you? The number of missed layups alone after her passes would have her in the lead all-time. Hopefully we make them Friday night.

We're happy to be where we're at and Caitlin is the reason. No other college basketball player in history has had the impact that she has on a program.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So you have no appreciation for her passing ability? Definitely taking your opinions with a grain of salt.
You know that Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi played for UConn right? Ever seen them pass? They didn’t set NCAA records because they played together for 2 years.

Caitlin is a great player and passer but UConn has seen great passers before. In women’s basketball, there have been many. Besides UConn’s Bird, Taurasi, and Bueckers there’s:
  • Sabrina Ionescu
  • courtney Vandersloot
  • Susie McConnell (Serio)
  • Temeka Johnson
to name a few. And, oh yeah, Nika Muhl

Reaction Score
If that is correct UConn will lose by 20. The only way it gets to that level is if CC goes crazy and UConn forget how to play defense and that IS NOT going to happen. UConn matches up better with Iowa than any other team they have played this season and that doesn't bode will for Iowa. UConn will win and I don't expect it to be within a couple points.
I would like to hear more about what you think of the matchups. I am just learning to think about these things and would appreciate the input.

Reaction Score
You know that Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi played for UConn right? Ever seen them pass? They didn’t set NCAA records because they played together for 2 years.

Caitlin is a great player and passer but UConn has seen great passers before. In women’s basketball, there have been many. Besides UConn’s Bird, Taurasi, and Bueckers there’s:
  • Sabrina Ionescu
  • courtney Vandersloot
  • Susie McConnell (Serio)
  • Temeka Johnson
to name a few. And, oh yeah, Nika Muhl
I was responding to the comment that the only thing Caitlin does well is shoot. That is highly inaccurate as she is the NCAA's #3 all time assist leader for women.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I did state that she had a high number of assists, so that is about her passing ability. When she wins something other than a Big 10 Championship I might consider her one of the best. Like I said she is far from being the best ever in WCBB.

CL82

Reaction Score
Surrounded by five star talent. I could only imagine how much pressure that would take off of Caitlin and how many more assists she would have (beyond being the third most all-time, after scoring as much as she has).
Lol, well that was some impressive goal post moving. So instead of talking about actual achievements we're now talking about the assist that you imagine?

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Reaction Score
I think if we try and play at their pace for too long it’ll be -12.5. We need to slow them down some and be selective when we speed it up. That happens, we can make it to the final game.

Reaction Score
I did state that she had a high number of assists, so that is about her passing ability. When she wins something other than a Big 10 Championship I might consider her one of the best. Like I said she is far from being the best ever in WCBB.
Yoi said the only thing she does well is shoot and then tried to justify her assist numbers with double teams, which is also inaccurate.

She did almost carry little old Iowa to a natty last year, save a bench player from LSU going nuclear from outside. Guess she'll have to win the whole damn thing this time around to satisfy the doubters.

Reaction Score
Lol, well that was some impressive goal post moving. So instead of talking about actual achievements we're now talking about the assist that you imagine?

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation
No. I'll take all-time leading scorer and third most assists by itself.

Some are trying to say she's not the best ever because she hasn't won a title. Give her UConn's talent and she would have won all four years too.

The fact she has elevated Iowa to where they are speaks volumes.

Reaction Score

Some are trying to say she's not the best ever because she hasn't won a title. Give her UConn's talent and she would have won all four years too.

I was hoping we wouldn't go into an argument who is better. For me-- I've enjoyed the women';s game more for many years because of the 4 years. But I get it. Hard to avoid the head-to-head. I just know when I watch both of them - I just say "wow." Whether one is 2nd all-time or 4th alltime or 9th etc - they're both obscene. They are both all-time greats.

With that said- you imply that you give UCONN no chance?

Reaction Score
Our last two games vs. Iowa.
UConn wins 92:72 in 2021
UConn wins 86:79 in 2022

I like our chances!
If there is one thing that means absolutely nothing with respect to the outcome of Friday's match-up with Iowa, it is the results of our previous games with them...not even in this season.

Reaction Score
I would argue she isn't even the best UConn player of all time (there are a few others to consider).

The women's basketball landscape has changed dramatically in the past five years. Much more parity and much more talent.
it sounds like you really don’t know much about women’s basketball… other than CC. There is parity in the game now but there has always been talent. The landscape might continue to change and the game does evolve yet many talented women have come before the Iowa team of the past few years.

Reaction Score

That is the truth. Iowa had been pretty much an " also ran" in that conference, and in the country. It is similar to what Rebecca Lobo meant to UCONN when she decided to play at Storrs.

Reaction Score
I was hoping we wouldn't go into an argument who is better. For me-- I've enjoyed the women';s game more for many years because of the 4 years. But I get it. Hard to avoid the head-to-head. I just know when I watch both of them - I just say "wow." Whether one is 2nd all-time or 4th alltime or 9th etc - they're both obscene. They are both all-time greats.

With that said- you imply that you give UCONN no chance?
Most of us ( fans) gave UCONN " no chance " of getting beyond the sweet sixteen this year. Few believed we would even beat DUKE. And fewer believe we can beat Iowa. ( Iowa is not just CC). However, having arrived at the final four, I now believe this UCONN team is capable of pretty much anything. I do not believe anyone can beat South Carolina, however, And that includes you know who.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom