Iona Wins | The Boneyard

Iona Wins

Reaction Score
Obviously slick Rick has his issues, but he's one of the best coaches ever.
All the best ones do, especially from his era of coaching. There are many UCONN haters who think Calhoun was a dirt bag.

From Coach K, Bobby Knight, Roy Williams, Boeheim...all the greats have skeletons man.

Reaction Score
Can't deny Rick is one of the best all time
Obviously slick Rick has his issues, but he's one of the best coaches ever.
Couple of championships and HOF I believe. Definitely successful. Played at UMASS and I tell those calipari lovers they should hire Rick.

Reaction Score
If I was Xavier or DePaul, I would hire Rick Pitino ASAP.

PS: Slick Rick back in the Big East would make the Big East even better.

Yup, it would be great for the league if a team hired Rick. How pissed must St John's fans be to see Rick Pitino working at a New York area catholic school. Pitino would be a killer at St John's. I know St John's current coach is decent but he's not Pitino.

I'm sure BC fans are thinking the same thing but I bet Rick would prefer the Big East.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'He is the only coach to lead three different schools (Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville) to a Final Four.'
'Pitino is considered by many to be one of the first coaches to promote fully taking advantage of the 3-point shot,'
'Many of Pitino's players and assistant coaches have gone on to become successful collegiate coaches. In total, 21 former Pitino players and coaches have become Division I head coaches, including Florida's Billy Donovan, Texas Tech's Tubby Smith, Arizona State's Herb Sendek, Cincinnati's Mick Cronin, Minnesota's Richard Pitino, Seton Hall's Kevin Willard, Cal State Northridge's Reggie Theus, and BYU's Mark Pope' wiki.
yup. his players luv him.

Reaction Score
'He is the only coach to lead three different schools (Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville) to a Final Four.'
'Pitino is considered by many to be one of the first coaches to promote fully taking advantage of the 3-point shot,'
'Many of Pitino's players and assistant coaches have gone on to become successful collegiate coaches. In total, 21 former Pitino players and coaches have become Division I head coaches, including Florida's Billy Donovan, Texas Tech's Tubby Smith, Arizona State's Herb Sendek, Cincinnati's Mick Cronin, Minnesota's Richard Pitino, Seton Hall's Kevin Willard, Cal State Northridge's Reggie Theus, and BYU's Mark Pope' wiki.
yup. his players luv him.

Won a championship in Europe as well and contrary to popular belief he wasn’t even that bad in the NBA, brought the Knicks to the playoffs as a 3rd seed, won 36 games his first year with the Celtics problem was he was the gm there and made very dumb acquisitions.

Reaction Score
Quick Pitino represents a lot of what's wrong in college sport, but damn the man can coach.

Reaction Score
I seriously wonder If another school hires Pitino. He probably would jump for the right opportunity, but It would actually be nice for him to stay at Iona for another year or two. Iona gave him another opportunity when nobody else would. I think that would be kind of a jerk move for Pitino to jump for greener pastures after year one, but It Is Pitino we are talking about and he's probably only out for himself.

Reaction Score
If I was Xavier or DePaul, I would hire Rick Pitino ASAP.

PS: Slick Rick back in the Big East would make the Big East even better.
They're Catholic schools but hey, "the end justifies the means", right?

Reaction Score
Won a championship in Europe as well and contrary to popular belief he wasn’t even that bad in the NBA, brought the Knicks to the playoffs as a 3rd seed, won 36 games his first year with the Celtics problem was he was the gm there and made very dumb acquisitions.
Travis Knight is forever thankful. 1 year as a Celtic.

Travis holds the NBA Playoff record for quickest disqualification, having fouled out in six minutes in game 4 of the 1999 Western Conference semi-finals.

Reaction Score
I'm post-hating on Pitino, etc. At this point, it's amazing to marvel at what he's done at a MAAC school. After going to a few Iona games, their diehards are a dedicated, knowledgeable fan base and I've learned to appreciate that.

Looking at their current roster, two of their starters and four other rotations players are guys Pitino brought in and then their '21 class includes two three-star recruits with three other recruits with multi-D1 offers. There's some longevity there that could outlive Pitino's tenure. I think it's pretty cool.

Reaction Score
Don't like Rick Pitino at all but respect his ability to coach. And I admit the end of the game I wanted to watch the reaction of the players which was fun to see despite. Most all were hugging him with obvious respect and love of the coach and what he did for them. Give him some credit for that.

Now on the round of 64 an Iona team I would normally root for as the underdog, can I do that with him at the helm? Hmmmmm

Reaction Score
Travis Knight is forever thankful. 1 year as a Celtic.

Travis holds the NBA Playoff record for quickest disqualification, having fouled out in six minutes in game 4 of the 1999 Western Conference semi-finals.

Good for Travis though was 2nd all rookie and that was enough for Pitino to be dumb enough to give him that deal. Knight won a ring with the 2000 Lakers.

I remember the Billups trade, the Andrew Declerq deal lol.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I don't want to start a new thread but I was wondering where Yarders think Pitino will be coaching next year. I think he will not be staying at Iona. He's had success in the BE, ACC, and SEC. I'm thinking Indiana might be tired of irrelevance and Pitino can have a chance to be the top dog in the Big10. Just guessing. I'm much too casual to have any inside info.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom