Iona Scouting Report

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'll piggy back on this with some more stuff. Shot charts:
UConn offense vs. Iona defense.

uconniona.png

Iona offense vs. UConn defense.

Both defenses excel at guarding the paint and perimeter while allowing some midrange shots. UConn is a lot more adept at finishing in the paint, so we should be a test for Iona's strong interior D.
Time to go to bed when my first thought is that these shot charts look nice, full, round breasts.

Reaction Score
Goodman is joking that Hurley is hiding under his bed, dreading Pitino. He also said that Pitino should reject SJU and take the Miami job after Larranaga retires next year. Coral Gables > Utopia Parkway.

Reaction Score
Some advanced stats for their starters:
ionaRAPM.png

They have a very clear offensive top 3. Their PG Jenkins rates out as their best player in large part to his superior defense (and still good offense). Clayton and Junior Joseph rate out as superior offensively, but not as important defensively. Jenkins would rate out to be our 7th best player by RAPM, but he's the 5th best player from all low major teams.

Some nuggets from watching an hour of extended highlights and analytical play style inference about each player:

Scoring PG - Daniss Jenkins - Takes more mid-range jumpers and floaters than anyone on our team and actually hits them at a decent rate. He probably does that because he's a very poor finisher at the rim. Expect him to pull up, especially when Clingan is in the game. Because of this, he shoots a lot less FTs than a lead guard normally does. His assist rate is pretty strong, but not outstanding, on par with Newton. Protects the ball pretty well. Takes more off the dribble 3's by rate than anyone on our team (we're a heavy catch and shoot team).

Combo Guard - Walter Clayton - Has the best box score stats on the team and conference POTY. Sniper from beyond the arc, would be 2nd on our team in 3pt makes. Leads his conference in PRPG! (essentially efficiency adjusted by volume), around Trey Alexander-level. Good secondary playmaker and really takes care of the ball. Has the highest steal rate on the team. Very smooth handle with a bit of burst. Okay but not great finishing in the paint (and was pretty bad at the rim against top comp). One of the best FT shooters in the country.

Wing Forward - Berrick JeanLouis - About as large a role on offense as Karaban, but totally different player. Can't shoot. Physically reminds me of Sir'Jabari Rice of NMSU and now Texas. Good but not all world bounce, wiry but strong. Despite being a slasher-type, he doesn't really draw fouls, because he scores a lot of his points in transition. Based on reputation among their fans, I thought his Def-RAPM would be higher, but he does have a decent block rate.

Stretch Power Forward - Osborn Shema - Limited role in the offense. Spreads the court and takes 1/3 of his shots from 3 as a 7 footer, and also takes some midrange jumpers. Decent offensive rebounder when he's not at the arc. Only 220 lbs and vulnerable to get pushed around on the boards on the defensive end or to get out of position going for a block. Good, not great rim protector. Against good teams this year he was a bit of a turnover machine, but fine in the larger sample.

Center - Nelly Junior Joseph - He's shorter than Shema at 6'9ish, but operates much more like a traditional below the rim center. Has some faceup game and also a pivot post game, but almost everything ends up at the rim. A bit like a hybrid of Sanogo and RI Hurley guy Cyril Langevine. Part of their big 3, but is the one who played significantly worse against top 100 teams. For the season, he was a very strong rebounder and drew more fouls than anyone on the Huskies did this year, but did both significantly worse against better comp, especially in regards to drawing fouls and defensive rebounds (actually still got offensive rebounds at an elite clip). He protects the rim about as well as Shema, which gives them good coverage independent of defensive matchups.

Bench:
Their bench is pretty replacement level and doesn't get a ton of minutes. Michael Jefferson is a wing and can't shoot or finish. He's in for energy plays and some rebounding. Sadiku Ibine Ayo is similarly an athletic wing type, but with a bit more skill, although also can't really shoot. Anton Brookshire is a jitterbug guard that's a bit more involved in the offense as mostly a volume 3pt shooter.

Most intriguing matchup - They feature the same stretch 7' footer paired with bruising energy offensive rebounding PF/C of Xavier (Nunge/Hunter) that gave us a ton of trouble this year. But Shema is a lot worse in the post than Nunge, so I'd be interested in inverting our guys and having Karaban guard Shema and Sanogo take Junior Joseph. Might also be interesting to use double bigs in this matchup.

There's also no real natural player for Jackson to guard, since their guards are quick types, JeanLouis isn't impactful, and their 4 is more of a center. I assume he'll either take JeanLouis and play a bit of free safety or try to stick with one of the guards and let Hawkins rest a bit on D.
So what you're saying is we don't have a chance.
Quick guards who handle the ball well plus a couple good bigs, all playing loosely because they have nothing to lose. No pressure on them so one or two of the subs will have their career games.
Whereas our guys will be tight as a drum because they've never won an NCAA game.
Good Grief. I think I'll dvr the game so I don't get nerved up......

Reaction Score

Davis hasn’t played since 2/10, so would be a boost for Iona’s depth (their biggest bugaboo this year has been injuries affecting depth).

Davis is a freshman and an Oregon State decommit who averaged 6.7 ppg in 19.3 mpg. More of a penetrating guard and offense creator than a shooter.

Once held offers from Houston, TCU and Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Sorry not completely on topic, but….

how to watch Iona loose on FUBO tv? I don’t see the game listed

Reaction Score
Sorry not completely on topic, but….

how to watch Iona loose on FUBO tv? I don’t see the game listed
You can't.

I switched from Fubo to Direct TV Stream yesterday to be able to watch the Turner networks and then get ready for Yankees.

Reaction Score
We play with swagger, confidence and loose and we will win.

Reaction Score
You can't.

I switched from Fubo to Direct TV Stream yesterday to be able to watch the Turner networks and then get ready for Yankees.
Thanks, that sucks. Time to head to a bar, so not a total loss

Reaction Score

Davis hasn’t played since 2/10, so would be a boost for Iona’s depth (their biggest bugaboo this year has been injuries affecting depth).

Davis is a freshman and an Oregon State decommit who averaged 6.7 ppg in 19.3 mpg. More of a penetrating guard and offense creator than a shooter.

Once held offers from Houston, TCU and Georgetown.

He's got some athleticism and quickness, but cant shoot and is a bit prone to turnovers.

Reaction Score
Watching their conference tourney championship game, they aren’t impressive defensively in the half court. Ball and body movement will get us EASY buckets. The game is going to come down to not allowing them to score and set up that pressure. Push off of misses, and when settled in the half court apply constant ball and body movement. And we shouldn’t have too much of an issue.

Update: also run their guards of the 3 point line. Donovan might be huge in this game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's got some athleticism and quickness, but cant shoot and is a bit prone to turnovers.
Which means he’s the guy to triple team once we notice he gets 5 points in 10 minutes. It’s always this guy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
F it, thanks to you I just emailed Kimani! :)

I'm not expecting it to be even opened or read, but no harm no foul!
Hey, worst case scenario, he doesn’t read it, best case scenario he’s impressed and you get a job on staff.

Believe Angels In The Outfield GIF

Reaction Score
Wonder how many emails a day someone like Kimani gets. Prolly not on his email all day either…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom