Iona Scouting Report | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Iona Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Defense.
uconnionatendenciesdefense.png

Note that Iona has one of the worst PPP allowed for Post-ups in the country.

Last edited:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I've watched Iona live this year more than UConn (3x vs 1x), so it was nice writing today's preview more from my eyes than the statsheet. Enjoy!

Iona: 27-7
KenPom Rating: 74
NET ranking: 58th
No Quad 1 or 2 wins

Currently on a 14 game winning streak (3rd longest in the nation)

Best win:
  • 12/6/22 84-62 over Saint Louis

Worst Loss:
  • 1/8/23 81-58 to Quinnipiac

OFFENSE: 79th in KenPom efficiency:
  • 28th in tempo (16 seconds/possession)
  • 28th in turnover rate (15.3%)
  • 70th in offensive rebounding rate
  • 78th best 3P% (36.0%)
    • But just 32.1% of their shots are from three (313rd lowest rate)
  • 106th in A/FGM (53.3%)
  • 156th in 2p% (50.8%)
  • 131st in FT% (73.1%)
  • 261th in FTA/FGA (29.0%)

DEFENSE: 67th in KenPom efficiency
  • 4th in the nation in longest average possession length (18.8 seconds)
  • 4th in block rate (14.7%)
  • 8th in opp. 3p% (29.2%)
    • Also 89th in lowest 34.6 3PA/FGA (34.6%)
  • 44th in turnover rate (21.0%)
  • 51st in opp. 2p% (47.0%)
  • 96th in opp. FT% (70.2%)
  • 172nd in A/FGM (50.6%)
  • 183rd FTA/FGA (31.3%)
  • 272nd in defensive rebounding rate

In the last two seasons of Pitino’s three years at Iona, he has embraced more of a point guard by-committee offense rather than having “the guy” at point guard (which was Asante Gist in his first season at the helm).

Last season, AAC grad transfers Tyson Jolly and Elijah Joiner fit that mold while this year returning sophomore Walter Clayton Jr. and Pacific transfer Daniss Jenkins (combined 32.5 ppg, 8.1 apg) have been the stalwarts in the backcourt.

Their defense is all about their full-court press with 7’0 220 senior Osborn Shema guarding the inbounder with his seemingly limitless length and quick enough footwork to stay with guards in one-on-one situations. I’ve gotten to see him play live four times now, all just feet away from the baseline, and it’s a real joy to watch him do his thing on defense.

As seen below, their full court press starts with Shema (#55) and then at least two guards inside the foul line maximizing traps and using the corners as “extra defenders”.

2bphoVduky6T_rDNp1YvJ1jr0aWC3vO6EglLwV2vVSaS_YftnL0DlsgDufXptEcktx8XEhPJF1iII_wPA-_HFmy3SaWjh-RHf-8jLC20W1bLz6axEgsgIKS3wGbWnwcyIXgZUQuZVu-B9s-mpuftP5c

Personally, I think the best method of attacking their press is having a taller, smart and mistake-limiting forward like Karaban (team’s third lowest TO rate) help beat the press with Hawkins (team’s lowest TO rate) and another guard (Newton, Alleyne, Calcaterra) and then have Jackson (team’s second highest TO rate) as the athletic and lengthy recipient to receive the passes to get as out of the backcourt and lead the transition to our halfcourt offense. Diarra leads the team in TO rate (a whopping 29.6), so I wouldn’t expect minutes for him unless there’s foul trouble

vfcLVN0643LUmhggOYvwrWEJx8ApDRNSeM1X7CeYlEb2eMPLiTbczuQYde9uf63idQMyJXL0FqTZQFhPeicB6sWW0ihj_sH5KW7jxIEpBfa79ax3_3I5wEhF4KSo8cFKzYfz7JuiIAovFwDHG4lvSL8

Iona’s success starts with their All-MAAC trio of Clayton Jr., Junior Joseph (first team) and Daniss Jenkins (second team, but should be first team IMO). Assuming Pitino leaves this season, all three are high-major caliber players in my book.

As mentioned earlier Clayton Jr. and Jenkins share the PG duties with Clayton the more capable guard of creating his own offense. At Pacific, Jenkins was a poor 3P shooter (24% in two seasons), but improved his shot after a year of JUCO, with the 3P shot now a strength in his arsenal. Both are legit three-level scorers and are relatively efficient considering both have 25%+ possession usage. Of course, some of that is derived from playing in the MAAC, though.

Their backcourt mate is fifth-year firework wing JeanLouis. He reminds me a lot of Andre Jackson: the team’s glue guy who plays with unending energy, can defend four positions, usually has one or two highlight dunks per game, but is not a strong shooter. Unlike Jackson, JeanLouis is not counted on as a facilitator, so naturally, his TO rates are lower and actually the lowest on Iona’s roster.

That being said, I’d put our worst defensive guard on JeanLouis and then I love the idea of Jackson shadowing Dannis Jenkins with Newton on Clayton: if these two are stymied then Iona will be neutralized in the halfcourt as Iona loves playing in transition of turnovers caused by their press.

Toying with a three-point shot as a sophomore, Nelly Junior Joseph has smartly removed that shot from his game, but is very capable shooting and facilitating offense from the elbow. Out of all the players from Iona, I see NJJ as the guy Pitino will bring with him to his next job: he’s a true two-way forward/big who plays with a great motor in spite of his 240 frame. Honestly, a lack of a three-point shot is his only weakness: he has good footwork, physicality, decent passer, high BBIQ. He’s special.

As mentioned earlier, Osborn Shema is the team’s key on defense. Insane length, high-major athleticism and he’s bulked up from 190 to 220 allowing him to handle the physicality of the MAAC. He’s a true rim-running stretch forward with pretty form. Like many out of Africa, Shema was a soccer player and didn’t start playing basketball until he was 16, so his coachability and work ethic has really taken him far.

I don’t believe Iona has played a single game this season with all of their players healthy, so with starting PF Quinn Slazinski out for the year and key rotation Cruz Davis possibly also out, Pitino has had less success in the full court press with a smaller than expected rotation of nine players with a handful of minutes of Silas Sunday at the 5 to give a quick blow to Iona’s bigs.

Anton Brookshire (a transfer from Missouri) and Michael Jefferson (a three-year recruit from the 2021 class who played one year of JUCO) are their best bench pieces. Brookshire will be a future MAAC star, but for now, he’s a low-mistake combo-guard who does most of his work on the perimeter. Jefferson reminds me a bit of Karaban: a smart, offensive-savvy forward who will probably be a very good starter in the future, but for now, he keeps his game simple and helps facilitate the offense with his high BBIQ, court vision and passing. Both are two of Iona’s weaker defensive players.

Earning a scholarship after three-seasons as a walk-on, senior Parker Weiss is the team’s Chris Arcidiacono: a hard-working, team-first guard who doesn’t need the ball in his hands but usually does the smart thing: a secondary pass to set up a big play, only shoots when it’s the best available shot.
The one player in the rotation who I’m not that familiar with is freshman forward Sadiku Ibine Ayo (he played just 8 minutes in just one of the games I’ve watched live). Starting the year on the injured list, Ayo stepped up when PT was available after injuries to Slazinski and Jefferson. Profiled as a strong and physical two-way wing, his defense development is well ahead of his offense.

KenPom’s prediction: UConn wins 77-68.

If you'd like more original reading material, below is pieces from my blog:

Iona 22-23 Season Preview
Predicting the 22-23 MAAC Champs
Faced With Injuries, Pitino is Reimagining Iona's Identity

LET'S GO UCONN!!!
Brilliant work, @Hey Adrien! I'm in awe. I think we will handle Iona and likely fairly easily, but if a lesser team is going to give us trouble it might be a team with three quality D1 players, a 7 foot center, on a winning streak and that likes to press. Get 'em prepared, DH.

Reaction Score
I'm watching some Iona film and Pitino employs a lot of small lineups during MAAC play. I don't think he can afford to play small against UCONN. He has limited fouls and minutes at his disposal.
Hopefully we dictate play and don’t worry about matching Iona

Reaction Score
If we get the defensive rebounds they will not be pressing. So it is in our best interest to control the boards. I watched their game against St Louis and their game from last year in the NIT and they are not close to a Big East team.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
F it, thanks to you I just emailed Kimani! :)

I'm not expecting it to be even opened or read, but no harm no foul!
It's too late now, but if you've got gmail, Streak.com is a free plugin that tells you when your emails are opened: https://www.streak.com/email-tracking-from-gmail

So you could get confirmation that he read it next time (and you'll also get indications of whether he opened it multiple times or even forwarded it along).

Reaction Score
slick rick is going down.

Kind of a sad this happens to a program like St. Peter's. Shaheen left and 8 kids transferred.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
If we get the defensive rebounds they will not be pressing. So it is in our best interest to control the boards. I watched their game against St Louis and their game from last year in the NIT and they are not close to a Big East team.
I heard they mostly press after made baskets, so yes use our defensive rebounding skills to limit those opportunities.

Reaction Score
I've watched Iona live this year more than UConn (3x vs 1x), so it was nice writing today's preview more from my eyes than the statsheet. Enjoy!

No Quad 1 or 2 wins

Best win:

Worst Loss:

• 78th best 3P% (36.0%)
  • 106th in A/FGM (53.3%)
  • 156th in 2p% (50.8%)
  • 131st in FT% (73.1%)

• 172nd in A/FGM (50.6%)
  • 183rd FTA/FGA (31.3%)

In the last two seasons of Pitino’s three years at Iona, he has embraced more of a point guard by-committee offense rather than having “the guy” at point guard (which was Asante Gist in his first season at the helm).

Last season, AAC grad transfers Tyson Jolly and Elijah Joiner fit that mold while this year returning sophomore Walter Clayton Jr. and Pacific transfer Daniss Jenkins (combined 32.5 ppg, 8.1 apg) have been the stalwarts in the backcourt.

Their defense is all about their full-court press with 7’0 220 senior Osborn Shema guarding the inbounder with his seemingly limitless length and quick enough footwork to stay with guards in one-on-one situations. I’ve gotten to see him play live four times now, all just feet away from the baseline, and it’s a real joy to watch him do his thing on defense.

As seen below, their full court press starts with Shema (#55) and then at least two guards inside the foul line maximizing traps and using the corners as “extra defenders”.

2bphoVduky6T_rDNp1YvJ1jr0aWC3vO6EglLwV2vVSaS_YftnL0DlsgDufXptEcktx8XEhPJF1iII_wPA-_HFmy3SaWjh-RHf-8jLC20W1bLz6axEgsgIKS3wGbWnwcyIXgZUQuZVu-B9s-mpuftP5c

Personally, I think the best method of attacking their press is having a taller, smart and mistake-limiting forward like Karaban (team’s third lowest TO rate) help beat the press with Hawkins (team’s lowest TO rate) and another guard (Newton, Alleyne, Calcaterra) and then have Jackson (team’s second highest TO rate) as the athletic and lengthy recipient to receive the passes to get as out of the backcourt and lead the transition to our halfcourt offense. Diarra leads the team in TO rate (a whopping 29.6), so I wouldn’t expect minutes for him unless there’s foul trouble

vfcLVN0643LUmhggOYvwrWEJx8ApDRNSeM1X7CeYlEb2eMPLiTbczuQYde9uf63idQMyJXL0FqTZQFhPeicB6sWW0ihj_sH5KW7jxIEpBfa79ax3_3I5wEhF4KSo8cFKzYfz7JuiIAovFwDHG4lvSL8

Iona’s success starts with their All-MAAC trio of Clayton Jr., Junior Joseph (first team) and Daniss Jenkins (second team, but should be first team IMO). Assuming Pitino leaves this season, all three are high-major caliber players in my book.

As mentioned earlier Clayton Jr. and Jenkins share the PG duties with Clayton the more capable guard of creating his own offense. At Pacific, Jenkins was a poor 3P shooter (24% in two seasons), but improved his shot after a year of JUCO, with the 3P shot now a strength in his arsenal. Both are legit three-level scorers and are relatively efficient considering both have 25%+ possession usage. Of course, some of that is derived from playing in the MAAC, though.

Their backcourt mate is fifth-year firework wing JeanLouis. He reminds me a lot of Andre Jackson: the team’s glue guy who plays with unending energy, can defend four positions, usually has one or two highlight dunks per game, but is not a strong shooter. Unlike Jackson, JeanLouis is not counted on as a facilitator, so naturally, his TO rates are lower and actually the lowest on Iona’s roster.

That being said, I’d put our worst defensive guard on JeanLouis and then I love the idea of Jackson shadowing Dannis Jenkins with Newton on Clayton: if these two are stymied then Iona will be neutralized in the halfcourt as Iona loves playing in transition of turnovers caused by their press.

Toying with a three-point shot as a sophomore, Nelly Junior Joseph has smartly removed that shot from his game, but is very capable shooting and facilitating offense from the elbow. Out of all the players from Iona, I see NJJ as the guy Pitino will bring with him to his next job: he’s a true two-way forward/big who plays with a great motor in spite of his 240 frame. Honestly, a lack of a three-point shot is his only weakness: he has good footwork, physicality, decent passer, high BBIQ. He’s special.

As mentioned earlier, Osborn Shema is the team’s key on defense. Insane length, high-major athleticism and he’s bulked up from 190 to 220 allowing him to handle the physicality of the MAAC. He’s a true rim-running stretch forward with pretty form. Like many out of Africa, Shema was a soccer player and didn’t start playing basketball until he was 16, so his coachability and work ethic has really taken him far.

I don’t believe Iona has played a single game this season with all of their players healthy, so with starting PF Quinn Slazinski out for the year and key rotation Cruz Davis possibly also out, Pitino has had less success in the full court press with a smaller than expected rotation of nine players with a handful of minutes of Silas Sunday at the 5 to give a quick blow to Iona’s bigs.

Anton Brookshire (a transfer from Missouri) and Michael Jefferson (a three-year recruit from the 2021 class who played one year of JUCO) are their best bench pieces. Brookshire will be a future MAAC star, but for now, he’s a low-mistake combo-guard who does most of his work on the perimeter. Jefferson reminds me a bit of Karaban: a smart, offensive-savvy forward who will probably be a very good starter in the future, but for now, he keeps his game simple and helps facilitate the offense with his high BBIQ, court vision and passing. Both are two of Iona’s weaker defensive players.

Earning a scholarship after three-seasons as a walk-on, senior Parker Weiss is the team’s Chris Arcidiacono: a hard-working, team-first guard who doesn’t need the ball in his hands but usually does the smart thing: a secondary pass to set up a big play, only shoots when it’s the best available shot.
The one player in the rotation who I’m not that familiar with is freshman forward Sadiku Ibine Ayo (he played just 8 minutes in just one of the games I’ve watched live). Starting the year on the injured list, Ayo stepped up when PT was available after injuries to Slazinski and Jefferson. Profiled as a strong and physical two-way wing, his defense development is well ahead of his offense.

LET'S GO UCONN!!!

Best ongoing legit thread on The Boneyard. You’re well respected in the BY community. Never any haters that I recall. True gold Hey Adrien!!!!

Reaction Score
This is a game that we should win, but the fact that they press (something we haven’t handled well) and have one of the five greatest college basketball coaches of all time on the sideline has to be a concern.

Others have said it, but we need to defend. Keep them from scoring and the press is a non-issue. If they do score, I would prefer that we get the ball inbounds as soon as possible. Don’t wait and let them set up the defense. This was the adjustment that a well-known former coach made in 1996 after getting throttled at Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Defense.

First thing I noticed when I saw this on Reddit. Not that we needed any more excuse to dump the ball to Sanogo and let him break some ribs, but this feels like the kind of game that he could drop 30 if we can efficiently break the press. I don't see a single player on their roster who could handle his physicality in the post.

Reaction Score
We're going to win this game with rebounds and in transition. The Iona press is an added bonus because we can use the reps given our late game blunders in situations like inbounding and breaking over half court. Would love to see a gave with ZERO turnovers in the back court. Make it happen Dan!
Our region is pretty wide open with a lot of interesting matchups.

Reaction Score
First thing I noticed when I saw this on Reddit. Not that we needed any more excuse to dump the ball to Sanogo and let him break some ribs, but this feels like the kind of game that he could drop 30 if we can efficiently break the press. I don't see a single player on their roster who could handle his physicality in the post.
This is what I alluded in more detail in my 2nd paragraph in post #14 in this thread. Shenma had his troubles with muscular bruising post up types whether it was him getting sealed in the post of getting beaten or sealed off for offensive rebounds.

I could see Pitino deciding to pack the paint and concede the 3 pt shot like Nova did to UConn in the first game at Hartford. If that happens the UConn players shouldn't feel more pressure to make the 3 pointers but instead have the mindset of being eager to add to their individual point total when the open shot presents itself-don't overthink it.

caw

Reaction Score
Defense.

Eye test agrees with this, they jump on every head fake. I imagine Pitino is trying to get them not to do that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My game play would be to push the ball when we can, when we can't, don't be afraid to launch threes but do so only with a couple of our players in rebound position. We should get a ton of putbacks so even if the threes aren't falling we should be in good shape.

Reaction Score

No Quad 1 or 2 wins

Best win:

Worst Loss:

• 78th best 3P% (36.0%)
  • 106th in A/FGM (53.3%)
  • 156th in 2p% (50.8%)
  • 131st in FT% (73.1%)

• 172nd in A/FGM (50.6%)
  • 183rd FTA/FGA (31.3%)

LET'S GO UCONN!!!
Congrats to all UConn fans on your great season. I'm known as the UConn good luck charm, though I'm a Syracuse fan. I sometimes sit next to Coach Hurley's lookalike in the stands. Always have a good time. Was at the Uconn vs Cuse football game this sesaon as well. Good luck to you guys in the tournament. Excellent recap above also!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom