Iona Scouting Report | The Boneyard

Iona Scouting Report

Reaction Score
I've watched Iona live this year more than UConn (3x vs 1x), so it was nice writing today's preview more from my eyes than the statsheet. Enjoy!

Iona: 27-7
KenPom Rating: 74
NET ranking: 58th
No Quad 1 or 2 wins

Currently on a 14 game winning streak (3rd longest in the nation)

Best win:
  • 12/6/22 84-62 over Saint Louis

Worst Loss:
  • 1/8/23 81-58 to Quinnipiac

OFFENSE: 79th in KenPom efficiency:
  • 28th in tempo (16 seconds/possession)
  • 28th in turnover rate (15.3%)
  • 70th in offensive rebounding rate
  • 78th best 3P% (36.0%)
    • But just 32.1% of their shots are from three (313rd lowest rate)
  • 106th in A/FGM (53.3%)
  • 156th in 2p% (50.8%)
  • 131st in FT% (73.1%)
  • 261th in FTA/FGA (29.0%)

DEFENSE: 67th in KenPom efficiency
  • 4th in the nation in longest average possession length (18.8 seconds)
  • 4th in block rate (14.7%)
  • 8th in opp. 3p% (29.2%)
    • Also 89th in lowest 34.6 3PA/FGA (34.6%)
  • 44th in turnover rate (21.0%)
  • 51st in opp. 2p% (47.0%)
  • 96th in opp. FT% (70.2%)
  • 172nd in A/FGM (50.6%)
  • 183rd FTA/FGA (31.3%)
  • 272nd in defensive rebounding rate

In the last two seasons of Pitino’s three years at Iona, he has embraced more of a point guard by-committee offense rather than having “the guy” at point guard (which was Asante Gist in his first season at the helm).

Last season, AAC grad transfers Tyson Jolly and Elijah Joiner fit that mold while this year returning sophomore Walter Clayton Jr. and Pacific transfer Daniss Jenkins (combined 32.5 ppg, 8.1 apg) have been the stalwarts in the backcourt.

Their defense is all about their full-court press with 7’0 220 senior Osborn Shema guarding the inbounder with his seemingly limitless length and quick enough footwork to stay with guards in one-on-one situations. I’ve gotten to see him play live four times now, all just feet away from the baseline, and it’s a real joy to watch him do his thing on defense.

As seen below, their full court press starts with Shema (#55) and then at least two guards inside the foul line maximizing traps and using the corners as “extra defenders”.

2bphoVduky6T_rDNp1YvJ1jr0aWC3vO6EglLwV2vVSaS_YftnL0DlsgDufXptEcktx8XEhPJF1iII_wPA-_HFmy3SaWjh-RHf-8jLC20W1bLz6axEgsgIKS3wGbWnwcyIXgZUQuZVu-B9s-mpuftP5c

Personally, I think the best method of attacking their press is having a taller, smart and mistake-limiting forward like Karaban (team’s third lowest TO rate) help beat the press with Hawkins (team’s lowest TO rate) and another guard (Newton, Alleyne, Calcaterra) and then have Jackson (team’s second highest TO rate) as the athletic and lengthy recipient to receive the passes to get as out of the backcourt and lead the transition to our halfcourt offense. Diarra leads the team in TO rate (a whopping 29.6), so I wouldn’t expect minutes for him unless there’s foul trouble

vfcLVN0643LUmhggOYvwrWEJx8ApDRNSeM1X7CeYlEb2eMPLiTbczuQYde9uf63idQMyJXL0FqTZQFhPeicB6sWW0ihj_sH5KW7jxIEpBfa79ax3_3I5wEhF4KSo8cFKzYfz7JuiIAovFwDHG4lvSL8

Iona’s success starts with their All-MAAC trio of Clayton Jr., Junior Joseph (first team) and Daniss Jenkins (second team, but should be first team IMO). Assuming Pitino leaves this season, all three are high-major caliber players in my book.

As mentioned earlier Clayton Jr. and Jenkins share the PG duties with Clayton the more capable guard of creating his own offense. At Pacific, Jenkins was a poor 3P shooter (24% in two seasons), but improved his shot after a year of JUCO, with the 3P shot now a strength in his arsenal. Both are legit three-level scorers and are relatively efficient considering both have 25%+ possession usage. Of course, some of that is derived from playing in the MAAC, though.

Their backcourt mate is fifth-year firework wing JeanLouis. He reminds me a lot of Andre Jackson: the team’s glue guy who plays with unending energy, can defend four positions, usually has one or two highlight dunks per game, but is not a strong shooter. Unlike Jackson, JeanLouis is not counted on as a facilitator, so naturally, his TO rates are lower and actually the lowest on Iona’s roster.

That being said, I’d put our worst defensive guard on JeanLouis and then I love the idea of Jackson shadowing Dannis Jenkins with Newton on Clayton: if these two are stymied then Iona will be neutralized in the halfcourt as Iona loves playing in transition of turnovers caused by their press.

Toying with a three-point shot as a sophomore, Nelly Junior Joseph has smartly removed that shot from his game, but is very capable shooting and facilitating offense from the elbow. Out of all the players from Iona, I see NJJ as the guy Pitino will bring with him to his next job: he’s a true two-way forward/big who plays with a great motor in spite of his 240 frame. Honestly, a lack of a three-point shot is his only weakness: he has good footwork, physicality, decent passer, high BBIQ. He’s special.

As mentioned earlier, Osborn Shema is the team’s key on defense. Insane length, high-major athleticism and he’s bulked up from 190 to 220 allowing him to handle the physicality of the MAAC. He’s a true rim-running stretch forward with pretty form. Like many out of Africa, Shema was a soccer player and didn’t start playing basketball until he was 16, so his coachability and work ethic has really taken him far.

I don’t believe Iona has played a single game this season with all of their players healthy, so with starting PF Quinn Slazinski out for the year and key rotation Cruz Davis possibly also out, Pitino has had less success in the full court press with a smaller than expected rotation of nine players with a handful of minutes of Silas Sunday at the 5 to give a quick blow to Iona’s bigs.

Anton Brookshire (a transfer from Missouri) and Michael Jefferson (a three-year recruit from the 2021 class who played one year of JUCO) are their best bench pieces. Brookshire will be a future MAAC star, but for now, he’s a low-mistake combo-guard who does most of his work on the perimeter. Jefferson reminds me a bit of Karaban: a smart, offensive-savvy forward who will probably be a very good starter in the future, but for now, he keeps his game simple and helps facilitate the offense with his high BBIQ, court vision and passing. Both are two of Iona’s weaker defensive players.

Earning a scholarship after three-seasons as a walk-on, senior Parker Weiss is the team’s Chris Arcidiacono: a hard-working, team-first guard who doesn’t need the ball in his hands but usually does the smart thing: a secondary pass to set up a big play, only shoots when it’s the best available shot.
The one player in the rotation who I’m not that familiar with is freshman forward Sadiku Ibine Ayo (he played just 8 minutes in just one of the games I’ve watched live). Starting the year on the injured list, Ayo stepped up when PT was available after injuries to Slazinski and Jefferson. Profiled as a strong and physical two-way wing, his defense development is well ahead of his offense.

KenPom’s prediction: UConn wins 77-68.

If you'd like more original reading material, below is pieces from my blog:

Iona 22-23 Season Preview
Predicting the 22-23 MAAC Champs
Faced With Injuries, Pitino is Reimagining Iona's Identity

LET'S GO UCONN!!!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've watched Iona live this year more than UConn (3x vs 1x), so it was nice writing today's preview more from my eyes than the statsheet. Enjoy!

No Quad 1 or 2 wins

Best win:

Worst Loss:

• 78th best 3P% (36.0%)
  • 106th in A/FGM (53.3%)
  • 156th in 2p% (50.8%)
  • 131st in FT% (73.1%)

• 172nd in A/FGM (50.6%)
  • 183rd FTA/FGA (31.3%)

In the last two seasons of Pitino’s three years at Iona, he has embraced more of a point guard by-committee offense rather than having “the guy” at point guard (which was Asante Gist in his first season at the helm).

Last season, AAC grad transfers Tyson Jolly and Elijah Joiner fit that mold while this year returning sophomore Walter Clayton Jr. and Pacific transfer Daniss Jenkins (combined 32.5 ppg, 8.1 apg) have been the stalwarts in the backcourt.

Their defense is all about their full-court press with 7’0 220 senior Osborn Shema guarding the inbounder with his seemingly limitless length and quick enough footwork to stay with guards in one-on-one situations. I’ve gotten to see him play live four times now, all just feet away from the baseline, and it’s a real joy to watch him do his thing on defense.

As seen below, their full court press starts with Shema (#55) and then at least two guards inside the foul line maximizing traps and using the corners as “extra defenders”.

2bphoVduky6T_rDNp1YvJ1jr0aWC3vO6EglLwV2vVSaS_YftnL0DlsgDufXptEcktx8XEhPJF1iII_wPA-_HFmy3SaWjh-RHf-8jLC20W1bLz6axEgsgIKS3wGbWnwcyIXgZUQuZVu-B9s-mpuftP5c

Personally, I think the best method of attacking their press is having a taller, smart and mistake-limiting forward like Karaban (team’s third lowest TO rate) help beat the press with Hawkins (team’s lowest TO rate) and another guard (Newton, Alleyne, Calcaterra) and then have Jackson (team’s second highest TO rate) as the athletic and lengthy recipient to receive the passes to get as out of the backcourt and lead the transition to our halfcourt offense. Diarra leads the team in TO rate (a whopping 29.6), so I wouldn’t expect minutes for him unless there’s foul trouble

vfcLVN0643LUmhggOYvwrWEJx8ApDRNSeM1X7CeYlEb2eMPLiTbczuQYde9uf63idQMyJXL0FqTZQFhPeicB6sWW0ihj_sH5KW7jxIEpBfa79ax3_3I5wEhF4KSo8cFKzYfz7JuiIAovFwDHG4lvSL8

Iona’s success starts with their All-MAAC trio of Clayton Jr., Junior Joseph (first team) and Daniss Jenkins (second team, but should be first team IMO). Assuming Pitino leaves this season, all three are high-major caliber players in my book.

As mentioned earlier Clayton Jr. and Jenkins share the PG duties with Clayton the more capable guard of creating his own offense. At Pacific, Jenkins was a poor 3P shooter (24% in two seasons), but improved his shot after a year of JUCO, with the 3P shot now a strength in his arsenal. Both are legit three-level scorers and are relatively efficient considering both have 25%+ possession usage. Of course, some of that is derived from playing in the MAAC, though.

Their backcourt mate is fifth-year firework wing JeanLouis. He reminds me a lot of Andre Jackson: the team’s glue guy who plays with unending energy, can defend four positions, usually has one or two highlight dunks per game, but is not a strong shooter. Unlike Jackson, JeanLouis is not counted on as a facilitator, so naturally, his TO rates are lower and actually the lowest on Iona’s roster.

That being said, I’d put our worst defensive guard on JeanLouis and then I love the idea of Jackson shadowing Dannis Jenkins with Newton on Clayton: if these two are stymied then Iona will be neutralized in the halfcourt as Iona loves playing in transition of turnovers caused by their press.

Toying with a three-point shot as a sophomore, Nelly Junior Joseph has smartly removed that shot from his game, but is very capable shooting and facilitating offense from the elbow. Out of all the players from Iona, I see NJJ as the guy Pitino will bring with him to his next job: he’s a true two-way forward/big who plays with a great motor in spite of his 240 frame. Honestly, a lack of a three-point shot is his only weakness: he has good footwork, physicality, decent passer, high BBIQ. He’s special.

As mentioned earlier, Osborn Shema is the team’s key on defense. Insane length, high-major athleticism and he’s bulked up from 190 to 220 allowing him to handle the physicality of the MAAC. He’s a true rim-running stretch forward with pretty form. Like many out of Africa, Shema was a soccer player and didn’t start playing basketball until he was 16, so his coachability and work ethic has really taken him far.

I don’t believe Iona has played a single game this season with all of their players healthy, so with starting PF Quinn Slazinski out for the year and key rotation Cruz Davis possibly also out, Pitino has had less success in the full court press with a smaller than expected rotation of nine players with a handful of minutes of Silas Sunday at the 5 to give a quick blow to Iona’s bigs.

Anton Brookshire (a transfer from Missouri) and Michael Jefferson (a three-year recruit from the 2021 class who played one year of JUCO) are their best bench pieces. Brookshire will be a future MAAC star, but for now, he’s a low-mistake combo-guard who does most of his work on the perimeter. Jefferson reminds me a bit of Karaban: a smart, offensive-savvy forward who will probably be a very good starter in the future, but for now, he keeps his game simple and helps facilitate the offense with his high BBIQ, court vision and passing. Both are two of Iona’s weaker defensive players.

Earning a scholarship after three-seasons as a walk-on, senior Parker Weiss is the team’s Chris Arcidiacono: a hard-working, team-first guard who doesn’t need the ball in his hands but usually does the smart thing: a secondary pass to set up a big play, only shoots when it’s the best available shot.
The one player in the rotation who I’m not that familiar with is freshman forward Sadiku Ibine Ayo (he played just 8 minutes in just one of the games I’ve watched live). Starting the year on the injured list, Ayo stepped up when PT was available after injuries to Slazinski and Jefferson. Profiled as a strong and physical two-way wing, his defense development is well ahead of his offense.

LET'S GO UCONN!!!
Best report yet. You should get a scouting job somewhere.

Reaction Score

No Quad 1 or 2 wins

Best win:

Worst Loss:

• 78th best 3P% (36.0%)
  • 106th in A/FGM (53.3%)
  • 156th in 2p% (50.8%)
  • 131st in FT% (73.1%)

• 172nd in A/FGM (50.6%)
  • 183rd FTA/FGA (31.3%)

LET'S GO UCONN!!!
Excellent job @Hey Adrien! ..It would appear that among other things..Our success on the boards.. Esp. our Offensive Rebounding.. Will be key for us.

Reaction Score
I think an early hot start is critical here -- they haven't played anyone with our talent, and if we get going it may snowball and take them out of the game mentally. On the other hand, if they settle into the game, they'll build confidence, and the fact that they've won 14 in a row (albeit against bad competition) will be concerning.

Tactically, we should be able to kill them on the offensive glass. If we can handle their press -- ideally with passing over their smaller guards with Karaban and Jackson -- we'll be in good shape unless they shoot 3's at an uncharacteristic clip.

Edit: if their press relies on a 7-footer 90 feet from the basket, we should be able to kill them with quick passing or lobs to Clingan/Sanogo on the back end. Jackson will have a big role to play here and has to play with discipline that he usually doesn't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Best report yet. You should get a scouting job somewhere.
Thanks man!

Since my Twitter mainly focuses in Northeastern mid-majors, a decent proportion of my Twitter followers are Iona fans, so I just tweeted out this preview into the Iona Twittersphere.

Quite a few of them are very passionate and knowledge Iona fans, so I'm hoping a few open up accounts here to share their opinions. For a small school, they have a heck of a fanbase: literally every game I attended this year has been a sell out.

Reaction Score

No Quad 1 or 2 wins

Best win:

Worst Loss:

• 78th best 3P% (36.0%)
  • 106th in A/FGM (53.3%)
  • 156th in 2p% (50.8%)
  • 131st in FT% (73.1%)

• 172nd in A/FGM (50.6%)
  • 183rd FTA/FGA (31.3%)

LET'S GO UCONN!!!
Really like these reports, but always think we’re doomed after I read them.

Reaction Score
I'll piggy back on this with some more stuff. Shot charts:
UConn offense vs. Iona defense.

uconniona.png

Iona offense vs. UConn defense.

Both defenses excel at guarding the paint and perimeter while allowing some midrange shots. UConn is a lot more adept at finishing in the paint, so we should be a test for Iona's strong interior D.

Reaction Score
They won 14 in a row, so they are playing well, but they lost to Quinnipiac by 23 . I think our worst loss was by 11 and the game was closer than that.

Reaction Score
i hope i don't eat my words here, but i think we can get enough good looks off of offensive rebounds and transition/semi-transition to negate whatever turnover concerns there might be.

someone with stats can contradict this, but i also really don't think we have been bad against the press this year. if we can get the ball across midcourt quickly, we'll be able to get open threes. plus, they won't even be able to set up their press if we don't let them score.

win lose or draw, i will be in the building, screaming like hell! let's go huskies!!

Reaction Score

No Quad 1 or 2 wins

Best win:

Worst Loss:

• 78th best 3P% (36.0%)
  • 106th in A/FGM (53.3%)
  • 156th in 2p% (50.8%)
  • 131st in FT% (73.1%)

• 172nd in A/FGM (50.6%)
  • 183rd FTA/FGA (31.3%)

LET'S GO UCONN!!!
Great report as always :) You should send this to Kimani Young. He probably wouldn't read it, but give it a shot.

This could be the key right here. Defense is always important for the Huskies, but if they can neutralize Iona with the half court D that means Iona can't set up their press as easily.

Another thing I noticed, too, from watching the Siena-Iona highlights (first game) was that Osborn Shenma had a lot of trouble with Jackson Stormo's muscle and was easy to seal down in the blocks. Getting Shenma in foul trouble looks like it would defang their full court press as their guards are shorter. If Nelly Junior Joseph is guarding Karaban that means NJJ won't be near the basket as much to help out with their deficient defensive rebounding. If Pitino decides to put Shenma on Karaban he could get some wide open 3s with off the ball screen action as Shenma is probably not used to defending at the 3 pt line in their half court D.

Reaction Score
A lot of success will hinge on getting the ball down to the blocks and triggering the double teams. I expect Newton and/or Jackson to be tightly guarded on the perimeter to preclude this. Maybe some sporadic trapping thrown in to sow chaos in our sets.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
They won 14 in a row, so they are playing well, but they lost to Quinnipiac by 23 . I think our worst loss was by 11 and the game was closer than that.
Quinnipiac has good ball handlers, more than us. We just need to execute.

Reaction Score
A lot of success will hinge on getting the ball down to the blocks and triggering the double teams. I expect Newton and/or Jackson to be tightly guarded on perimeter to preclude this. Maybe some sporadic trapping thrown in to sow chaos in our sets.
good call. Alleyne should get major minutes in this game. The doubling of the posts will leave 3 point shooters open as long as the perimeter players make it easy for Sanogo to pass out of the double teams. Also, if UConn can get the ball out of any traps on pick and rolls or anywhere else beyond the 3 point line they should look to attack 4-3, make them pay for doing it.

Reaction Score
Lost by 12 at Providence and by 11 at home against St. John's. But your point stands.

Reaction Score
May sound odd but we need to execute our inbounds passing after their made baskets with speed and precision and not allow their inbound defender to trap in the corner(s) after the entry pass where he can use his size and length. If we can do that and get up-court quickly we might have secondary fast break opportunities and/or corner threes from our shooters.

Edit: Comments meant when Iona is pressing

Last edited:
Reaction Score
good call. Alleyne should get major minutes in this game. The doubling of the posts will leave 3 point shooters open as long as the perimeter players make it easy for Sanogo to pass out of the double teams. Also, if UConn can get the ball out of any traps on pick and rolls or anywhere else beyond the 3 point line they should look to attack 4-3, make them pay for doing it
Truth. Safe is death in this game. We need to attack the rim and then kick if it's not there. We will lose if it's all on Hawkins racing around screens waiting for shooting windows to develop.

Reaction Score
Well, the Iona fans will be able to look back on this season and remember that 14 game winning streak. It was really nice while it lasted.
I think we had a 14 game winning streak this season too.... There is something to be said for entering the tourney on a roll. The first 6 minutes of the game will be key. We can't let them get confident that they can hang. People are minimizing Iona and that makes me nervous. This team has no right to overlook anyone. The Seton Hall and St. John's home losses should have shown us that.

Reaction Score
Is Iona similar to St Johns, but maybe a slightly worse shooting team?

Reaction Score
May sound odd but we need to execute our inbounds passing after their made baskets with speed and precision and not allow their inbound defender to trap in the corner(s) after the entry pass where he can use his size and length. If we can do that and get up-court quickly we might have secondary fast break opportunities and/or corner threes from our shooters.

Exactly. The more we wait around for the "right guy" to come over for the inbounds, the more time Iona has to set up the press.

We should be practicing multiple press-break looks with quick inbounding from any player. Karaban, Newton, AJ, Hawkins...heck even Sanogo is more than capable of getting it started.

Reaction Score
I'm watching some Iona film and Pitino employs a lot of small lineups during MAAC play. I don't think he can afford to play small against UCONN. He has limited fouls and minutes at his disposal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom