Iona Coach Tim Cluess... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Iona Coach Tim Cluess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think if theirs not too many upsets in the conference tourneys then Iona is deserving. They def can beat some BE teams but I don't know how they would fare in the brutal BE schedule. Machado and Mo Mo are a nice combination.

Reaction Score
But so much of that stuff is purely a function of the conference you're in. Just by virtue of being in the MAAC, Iona doesn't get to play top 50 teams. When it gets the rare chance it is on the road. So even if they went undefeated and won every game by 20, their RPI would be significantly lower than most Big East teams.

though the committee always denies it, they give RPI a very high degree of weight in setting the field. One of the other statistical gurus ran an analysis and found a very close statistically significant correlation between tournament seeding and RPI.

Reaction Score
But so much of that stuff is purely a function of the conference you're in. Just by virtue of being in the MAAC, Iona doesn't get to play top 50 teams. When it gets the rare chance it is on the road. So even if they went undefeated and won every game by 20, their RPI would be significantly lower than most Big East teams.

though the committee always denies it, they give RPI a very high degree of weight in setting the field. One of the other statistical gurus ran an analysis and found a very close statistically significant correlation between tournament seeding and RPI.
Two things:
1. Iona had chances and lost. They did get fewer chances, but I'm not sure what you can do about that. They are playing worse teams, and shouldn't get rewarded more for playing sub-par teams.
2. I imagine there is a high correlation, and that generally seems fine to me. Higher RPIs usually go with more road wins, more top 50 wins, a high SOS, etc. It doesn't shock me that they would correlate, and I don't particularly have a problem with that.

Reaction Score

1) Harvard plays in the Ivy League and their RPI is still strong.

2) You're right in that small conference teams don't get to play anybody great once conference play starts. But as long as you beat the teams you should beat (see Murray State and possibly the Drexel/VCU loser) you can still find a way to get an at-large if you play a decent non-conference schedule and dominate your league. Iona's problem isn't that they lost to a decent Fairfield team or to Marshall on the road. Their problem is they also lost to a 14-17 Siena team and a 11-22 Hofstra team. Their RPI would be significantly higher if you just take away those 2 losses. Seton Hall may end up getting burned for losing to DePaul - that loss isn't anywhere near as bad as those two losses for Iona.

Reaction Score
Iona has about 10x as much talent as anyone else in their league. Losing it is unacceptable. Coach Clueless is just sad because he knows he screwed up big time.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately like Will Munny says in Unforgiven " Deserve's got nothin' to do with it." Iona is now a long shot and headed to the NIT. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately like Will Munny says in Unforgiven " Deserve's got nothin' to do with it." Iona is now a long shot and headed to the NIT. Sorry.
Don't lose to Siena and Hofstra. Then you might get in, and deserve to get in.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Most teams with high win totals and a lousy RPI are from smaller conferences and haven't beaten anybody all year. Cincy is different in that they've beaten Uconn, Marquette, Louisville, Georgetown, Notre Dame, and even Seton Hall. Nobody else on the bubble has 6 wins as good as those - they'll get in.

I tend to agree with you. I think they're top 50 record should get them in.

However, with an overall SOS of 102 and an absolutely horrific OOC SOS, they're no lock. The committee tends to punish teams with poor OOC SOS. At 318, they better hope the committee is somewhat forgiving, because that's just scary bad

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with you. I think they're top 50 record should get them in.

However, with an overall SOS of 102 and an absolutely horrific OOC SOS, they're no lock. The committee tends to punish teams with poor OOC SOS. At 318, they better hope the committee is somewhat forgiving, because that's just scary bad
I think Cincy is likely in, but should make sure to win--or lose to a good team--just to make sure.

willie99

Reaction Score
conversely what is the range where teams lower than that rarely get left out?

IDK, but somewhere around 35

Reaction Score
IDK, but somewhere around 35-40
No major conference team in the modern era has ever been left out with an RPI under 37 (Florida State in 2008 had a 37 and was left out).

Reaction Score
Has the MAAC ever gotten an at large bid? I feel like Siena and Manhattan may have but I'm to lazy to look.

willie99

Reaction Score
BTW: Iona's RPI as dropped to 42,46 or 48 depending on the service

they're out

Reaction Score
No major conference team in the modern era has ever been left out with an RPI under 37 (Florida State in 2008 had a 37 and was left out).
so if we beat depaul, and got left out, the committee would be breaking new ground.

Reaction Score
Has the MAAC ever gotten an at large bid? I feel like Siena and Manhattan may have but I'm to lazy to look.
I thought Iona or St peters and manhattan did around 10 years ago. It might have been Siena...One team I think won a first round game. Manhattan I think lost on a last second shot that went around the rim and out.

Reaction Score
Good for them--VCU style.

That being said, much like USC last year, BYU had little right to be in this field.

Maybe so, but if I were Buzz I'd be getting a little nervous right now.

Reaction Score
and now, Cluess looks clueless as his team managed to blow a game in which they led by 20+ points....

55 points in the first 16 minutes followed by 17 in the next 24 minutes... just terrible... guy should worry about finishing teams and games before he worried about how many Big East teams he could beat... cuz he just lost to a BYU team that was getting run off the floor in the first half...

Reaction Score
How you feeling about spouting off now Tim? Nice coaching job losing a 25 point lead.............should have shut up and played in the NIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom