Interview with OU president David Boren | The Boneyard

Interview with OU president David Boren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are some new information here so I will post it as a new thread:

http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra...6c7-5571-5ebe-9392-3911e9337f83.html?mode=jqm

Boren says the best way for the Big 12 to proceed is to first invite two schools and raise membership to 12.

“We have been, as a group, looking at expansion, discussing expansion, and we have had outside consultants helping us look at what schools are the possible best fit,” Boren said. “So there are more than two out there that could be a good fit. There may be six or seven, and we could pick from that group the right two. We have to be very careful. We don’t want to go out and get Okefenokee A&M or something just to have a name.

“We’ll look at the fan base, we’ll look at the size of their programs, we’ll look at the academics of the institutions. We’ll look at them comprehensively as to which is the best fit. And also we’ll consider geography to a certain degree.

I think the last sentence could be a reference to us.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Good find.

If you sift the available schools through the screens Boren references, you really come up with a list of three. Four, if you can somehow justify Houston.

I don't think UCF or USF have prospects; you don't expand with the fourth or fifth best programs in any state. Boise is in Idaho and while some Big 12 fans might like the idea of Memphis, I think they're toxic to university presidents. Their history and academics are the stuff of nightmares.

UConn, BYU and Cincinnati are the three largest athletic departments and likely the three most valuable schools in terms of geography and network value. Cincinnati is a laggard in terms of academics compared to UConn and BYU, but I don't think the Big 12 would be that fussy. I don't know what to make of Houston. In some ways, they're our doppelgänger from the old Southwest Conference - we may be matching up to see who's realignment's biggest historical victim here.

So the parameters laid out by Boren do not work against us. Everyone they're looking at has significant flaws in terms of their fit in the Big 12, save Cincinnati. I don't know how the Big 12 expands without Cincy - geographically, they're close enough to West Virginia and while they're pedestrian in terms of academics, they're in line with most of the B12's bottom half.

So that leaves one spot for three teams - UConn, BYU and Houston. BYU is better and bigger at football, we're a flag ship and put them in a new and huge market and Houston has a brilliant football season and politicians standing by with public checkbooks. If expansion does come, it will be hammer and tongs for that last seat in the lifeboat.

One thing is for sure - in terms of Big 12 peace and harmony, Boren just shot the Arch Duke Ferdinand. War is imminent.

Reaction Score
The Big 12, at one time when looking at expansion, could not agree on division structure. Texas schools want to play each other. The northern schools don't want to be isolated playing almost as OOC to a Texoma conference. That may still come up in expansion.

The FSU President emailed as much to boosters in 2012....

"Given that the Texas schools are expected to play each other (the Big 12 is at least as Texas centered than the ACC is North Carolina centered), the most likely scenario has FSU playing Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and West Virginia on a recurring basis and the other teams sporadically (and one more unnamed team has to join to allow the Big 12 to regain a championship game)....."

UConn would fit nicely alongside Kansas, Kansas State, WVU, and Cincy.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not sure I recall university presidents and athletic directors (WVU AD) being this up front about realignment.

UConn needs to do whatever it takes to get in the Big 12. Reduced revenue initially, home games in NYC, subsidizing the extra travel to CT for teams, etc.

Even if we forfeit most of our tv revenue up front, we'll have our Tier 3 rights back (believe the IMG and SNY deals) and the increased ticket revenue from playing a Big 12 schedule.

One last thing from an exposure angle, with UConn in the Big12 it would open up the 7pm time slot for week night hoops on ESPN. I believe the only members in EST are WVU and also potentially Cincinnati.

The only legitimate negative for UConn as a longer term add is our geography, but that's a way bigger deal for UConn than the schools making one trip a year out here.

Reaction Score
What concerns me most is that Boren is clearly very frustrated with the status quo and that the conference missed opportunities with Louisville and other bigger name programs. Even if the Big 12 expands, how committed can everyone be if they are not thrilled with the programs they will seemingly be settling for? If the conference can't immediately add top football programs, is it really a solid plan which Oklahoma can commit to? We may be watching a large scale implosion and it's just a matter of how good our seats will be to see it.

Reaction Score
Not sure I recall university presidents and athletic directors (WVU AD) being this up front about realignment.

UConn needs to do whatever it takes to get in the Big 12. Reduced revenue initially, home games in NYC, subsidizing the extra travel to CT for teams, etc.

Even if we forfeit most of our tv revenue up front, we'll have our Tier 3 rights back (believe the IMG and SNY deals) and the increased ticket revenue from playing a Big 12 schedule.

One last thing from an exposure angle, with UConn in the Big12 it would open up the 7pm time slot for week night hoops on ESPN. I believe the only members in EST are WVU and also potentially Cincinnati.

The only legitimate negative for UConn as a longer term add is our geography, but that's a way bigger deal for UConn than the schools making one trip a year out here.
Should the boneyard raise money so Jonathan can sit courtside to the next Thunder-Spurs game?

Reaction Score
Should the boneyard raise money so Jonathan can sit courtside to the next Thunder-Spurs game?
Yes.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 30

pj

Reaction Score
If Boren was correct that the networks will raise the B12 pay on a pro-rata basis if they add 2 members, and with new members willing to take reduced payouts, all B12 teams can increase their income by $2 mn per year by adding two schools (network payout of $15 mn per school less new school income of $5 mn per year * 2 new schools / 10 incumbent schools). Then when the new TV deal expires Oklahoma can leave for greener pastures in the B1G or SEC.

Presumably Texas is turning down this money to retain greater control (fewer votes in the league). I doubt it's because of concern over dilution post-2025, since Oklahoma leaving will dilute the conference anyway.

Must be frustrating to Oklahoma to have conference mates who turn down free money.

Reaction Score
What concerns me most is that Boren is clearly very frustrated with the status quo and that the conference missed opportunities with Louisville and other bigger name programs. Even if the Big 12 expands, how committed can everyone be if they are not thrilled with the programs they will seemingly be settling for? If the conference can't immediately add top football programs, is it really a solid plan which Oklahoma can commit to? We may be watching a large scale implosion and it's just a matter of how good our seats will be to see it.
Could not agree more...sounds like there is a huge rift about the B12 expanding and, even if the Big12 agrees to expand, the available programs would not be acceptable to a lot of the existing B12 programs. Basically the B12 may be doomed if it doesn't expand but expansion may also cause its destruction.

That said, from a UCONN perspective we need to start "climbing one hand hold at a time." Sure, the B12 is very far from stabile and may dissolve. However, IMO, the programs that have been "P5" are more likely to find a new home than an" up and coming" G5 program. If the Big12 dissolves and UCONN is still AAU it will be a lot harder to get into a P5 conference. UCONN would be better off being part a dissolving B12 than where we are now.

If there are only a few spots in your lifeboat you always invite a cousin before some dude you've never meet. Getting into a P5 makes you a "cousin" for the other P5 conferences.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If Boren was correct that the networks will raise the B12 pay on a pro-rata basis if they add 2 members, and with new members willing to take reduced payouts, all B12 teams can increase their income by $2 mn per year by adding two schools (network payout of $15 mn per school less new school income of $5 mn per year * 2 new schools / 10 incumbent schools). Then when the new TV deal expires Oklahoma can leave for greener pastures in the B1G or SEC.

Presumably Texas is turning down this money to retain greater control (fewer votes in the league). I doubt it's because of concern over dilution post-2025, since Oklahoma leaving will dilute the conference anyway.

Must be frustrating to Oklahoma to have conference mates who turn down free money.

Maybe (and this is total speculation), others believe they should wait to see what happens to the ACC. If the ACC has a meltdown in the next few years, B12 expansion choices vastly improve. My guess is that internal struggle at the B12 is centered around whether it is wise to expand now or wait on the ACC. There is also the second issue, convincing UT that the LHN is a drag on the collective future.

pj

Reaction Score
Maybe (and this is total speculation), others believe they should wait to see what happens to the ACC. If the ACC has a meltdown in the next few years, B12 expansion choices vastly improve. My guess is that internal struggle at the B12 is centered around whether it is wise to expand now or wait on the ACC. There is also the second issue, convincing UT that the LHN is a drag on the collective future.

There's no scenario in which an ACC meltdown leads top schools to go to the B12 over the B1G or SEC. If B12 wants Pitt, Syracuse, BC, and Wake Forest, they might as well take Cincy, UConn, and BYU.

Also, there's no scenario in which Texas hands over its LHN income to a collection of weak B12 schools. Texas already shares B12 revenue equally which is a subsidy to the other B12 schools. They won't give a further subsidy.

Reaction Score
Feb. 4. Circle it on your calendar, it's the next Big 12 meeting.

All signs over the last 24 hours pointing at OU and Boren heading in there guns blazing ready to push for expansion, won't be a secret.

If he doesn't have the votes to get it done, you can bet the chatter of OU to the B1G or SEC is really going to pick up.

Reaction Score

Could be something to this theory. IMO, the Big 12 would like nothing better than grabbing FSU and Clemson. It would then be the power house conference - a big notch ahead of the SEC. I believe the Big 12 wants a SE expansion just to do that and poke the SEC in the eye over the A&M and Mizzou departures. Who wouldn't trade A&M and Mizzou straight up for Clemson and FSU? Then the Big 12 should go to 14 and take us and Cincy too. If the B1G ain't possible for the foreseeable future this would be a pretty good deal. (and hockey stays in HE)

Reaction Score
I've refrained from commenting on this board after the spring game stuff but have been following this forum closely - probably too closely (work productivity in the hopper). Here's my uninformed, not connected to anyone or anything take/ideal scenario
1. We know Delaney is strategic
2. Silence is deafening in Storrs. Herbst sent out media deflection message
3. We're working feverishly to raise our profile - almost as if we were provided a roadmap from someone
4. SEC and Big 10 do a massive 180 on Big 12 Championship game. Why? They know that will start the realignment tremors. See item 1.
5. Tremors are good for us
6. OK and UConn to Big
7. OK State and ? to SEC
8. Texas goes ND model
9. AAC schools and remaining Big 12 merge

Reaction Score
Also, there's no scenario in which Texas hands over its LHN income to a collection of weak B12 schools. Texas already shares B12 revenue equally which is a subsidy to the other B12 schools. They won't give a further subsidy.
That's why Boren says it has to be revenue neutral for Texas. As someone posted on another board, give them their $15 million a year or whatever they get from the Longhorn Network for the rest of the Longhorn Network contract.

Reaction Score
I've refrained from commenting on this board after the spring game stuff but have been following this forum closely - probably too closely (work productivity in the hopper). Here's my uninformed, not connected to anyone or anything take/ideal scenario
3. We're working feverishly to raise our profile - almost as if we were provided a roadmap from someone
4. SEC and Big 10 do a massive 180 on Big 12 Championship game. Why? They know that will start the realignment tremors. See item 1.
6. OK and UConn to Big
7. OK State and ? to SEC
8. Texas goes ND model

The only concern/wildcard here is Kansas. On an overall basis, both schools are about the same in men's basketball and football with UConn having a major advantage over the Jayhawks with the respect to UConn's overall sports program (women's basketball and men's hockey especially) and market (NYC/Boston >>>> Kansas City); but, Kansas is AAU (even if right now UConn looks to be the stronger academic school) and would serve as a land bridge to Oklahoma. What is more important to the B1G?

Reaction Score
6. OK and UConn to Big
7. OK State and ? to SEC
8. Texas goes ND model

Jonathan should just happen to walk by the B1G office in New York. Or maybe he should just stay there!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
One thing that Flugs has gotten completely right, by the looks of it, is that OU and UConn have a very good relationship. He tweeted something along the lines of the 4 year OU/UConn WBB scheduling is proof of a continued, good relationship. Reading between Boren's lines, it really seems like he likes what UConn can bring to the B12 and is going to battle for us. Unless there is tremendous political pressure on Texas to bring along deadweight Houston to the B12, I can't for the life of me figure out how UT doesn't also see the value we would bring to their middling LHN. That is, of course, until it is blown up and replaced by a B12N.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
6. OK and UConn to Big
7. OK State and ? to SEC
8. Texas goes ND model

Interesting and not unreasonable.

Reaction Score
6. OK and UConn to Big
7. OK State and ? to SEC
8. Texas goes ND model

If this comes to fruition I'll buy your beer at The Rent for the entire 2016 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom