Interview With Gerry DiNardo | The Boneyard

Interview With Gerry DiNardo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look, this has probably been posted, but I didn't see it.

http://www.offtackleempire.com/2013/2/12/3974794/ote-interview-with-gerry-dinardo-part-2

The success of the network is really driving realignment. OSU President E. Gordon Gee hinted in December that more expansion is coming, and 14 is probably not the final number. How many teams do you think the B1G will end up adding, and who do you feel are the next one or two teams are?​
I don't think we'll ever play with a 14 team team conference, I think it'll be 16 (by 2014, when Maryland and Rutgers join). And I don't think they're going to go through all this conversation and all this realignment and do it again for just two more schools. Where are they going to come from? Hard to say, but I would guess the footprint would continue to grow southeast, so that would leave me to believe that would be the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think it is appropriate for Herbst to reach out to both the Big 10 and ACC and get some answers. Acquirers and acquisition targets have these discussions all the time. Is UConn on their radar, what does UConn need to do, etc.

If the Big 10 is going to expand, then there is a rationale for continued investment in the football program at least for a couple of years, although I think the C7 for hoops and football independence would be the best solution for UConn in that situation.

While I am generally very pessimistic about UConn's chances overall, I think UConn is higher on the Big 10's list than most on this board give UConn credit for. I think UConn is a solid #3 behind UVa and UNC. I think BCU and Syracuse's vendetta against UConn makes an ACC invitation problematic even if it is raided.

Reaction Score
While I am generally very pessimistic about UConn's chances overall, I think UConn is higher on the Big 10's list than most on this board give UConn credit for. I think UConn is a solid #3 behind UVa and UNC. I think BCU and Syracuse's vendetta against UConn makes an ACC invitation problematic even if it is raided.

Still waiting for the compelling case for a B1G interest in UNC now. Nothing against the Tar Heels, just an illogical next target. Even the professional leagues don't attempt to carry New York with just one team. Each of the four major leagues has at least two teams situated in greater New York. But the B1G is going to do it with just Rutgers? Beyond New York, you're saying the B1G is going to carry the Boston-Washington region with just 3 teams? The NFL thinks they need six. So does baseball...so does hockey. The NBA is soldiering on with just five. That's how big the region and New York are. Nine teams in New York and 23 in the northeast and the B1G's plan is to tackle all that with just Rutgers, UMD, and UVA? Why? So they can (possibly) fall on their swords in North Carolina? Baseball doesn't consider North Carolina worth a team. And football and hockey need both states as a package deal (Carolina Panthers and Hurricanes) in order to find the region worthy of a franchise.

Reaction Score
I think it is appropriate for Herbst to reach out to both the Big 10 and ACC and get some answers. Acquirers and acquisition targets have these discussions all the time. Is UConn on their radar, what does UConn need to do, etc.

If the Big 10 is going to expand, then there is a rationale for continued investment in the football program at least for a couple of years, although I think the C7 for hoops and football independence would be the best solution for UConn in that situation.

Nelson, do you really think that Herbst has not reached out and asked these questions? Of course she has. I think that's why you see the emphasis we have seen on the research side of her speaking. The fact that we are not heavily investing in football tells me that we probably know the most likely answer that she got. I agree with you on the B1G, at the same time I doubt we ever get there and if and when we go to the ACC we are still going to be in a situation where we are still left out from the big boy table so I could really care less about the ACC. Unless a B1G invite is coming there is no reason for any heavy football investment.

Reaction Score

Precisely. She's been adding professors, enhancing research footprint, hunting for grants, pushing for AAU, building BBall practice facility, looking to add LAX, upgrade Hockey, rebranding the University, and on and on. All of these efforts while positive in their own right seem part of an extremely accelerated game plan, unlike anything seen in the last ten years at least. Would it truly surprise you to discover that many of these efforts are being made to meet some specific criteria set out as key prerequisites by others in more attractive landing spots.

Reaction Score
Precisely. She's been adding professors, enhancing research footprint, hunting for grants, pushing for AAU, building BBall practice facility, looking to add LAX, upgrade Hockey, rebranding the University, and on and on. All of these efforts while positive in their own right seem part of an extremely accelerated game plan, unlike anything seen in the last ten years at least. Would it truly surprise you to discover that many of these efforts are being made to meet some specific criteria set out as key prerequisites by others in more attractive landing spots.

Sometimes people can't see the obvious, you have to spell it out to them

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Syracuse's vendetta? For what?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
All true but are the efforts aimed at a specific timeline? Are they in repsonse to a specific request? Did Herbst use CR anxiety as a basis to do a series of things that were postitive in their own right? Is she just trying to position UConn as well as she can without any pending offer? Too soon to tell.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If Herbst's moves on the academic side are to try and get in the Big Ten, other than to try and improve the academic side, then she's insane.

They're moves to help the university academically. That's it. That's all it is.

And that's all it should be. If it happens to help their case with the Big Ten, great. But that has never been, nor should ever be, the goal, especially since THE BIG TEN HAS NO INTEREST IN UCONN.

zls44

Reaction Score
You have no clue if the big 10 is interested in Uconn. No one here does.

No one here does. Exactly!!!

To this point, the Big Ten has shown no interest in UConn. Nothing has happened to change that. To suggest they have any interest is fallacy. It's people converting dreams into facts. They haven't "reached out" or "explored" or "researched" the idea of adding a school with a tiny football base in a recruiting nonentity to their conference.

There is no interest based on a wealth of evidence and from talking to people. None. Zero.

A dream without a plan is a wish.

Reaction Score

To this point, the Big Ten has shown no interest in UConn. .

There are several variables to expansion, and you have no clue what teams have been in the discussion. If you would have read the article, you would have known that even MD didn't know until the end if they were the school of choice. Stop trying to prove your baseless point. You know nothing. To suggest that we shouldn't try to court the big 10, because YOU haven't heard anything is total arrogance on your part.

Shh.gif

zls44

Reaction Score
There are several variable to expansion, and you have no clue what teams have been in the discussion. If you would have read the article, you would have known that even MD didn't know until the end if they were the school of choice. Stop trying to prove your baseless point. You know nothing. To suggest that we shouldn't try to court the big 10, because YOU haven't heard anything is total arrogance on your part.

Shh.gif

I know people more in the know, and more powerful, than you do. You can keep going at the masses to improve your 'like' count, or you can talk to reporters and administrators who actually make decisions.

Maryland added tangible value. Rutgers added tangible value. Connecticut is a total redundancy. Adds little more than another mouth to feed. That is reality.

When you decide to start talking to real people and not West Virginia message board morons, get back to me. I'm sure you think the WVU guys are all over it.

Go get your frigging shine box.

Reaction Score
I know people more in the know, and more powerful, than you do. You can keep going at the masses to improve your 'like' count, or you can talk to reporters and administrators who actually make decisions.

When you decide to start talking to real people and not West Virginia message board morons, get back to me. I'm sure you think the WVU guys are all over it.

okay, so you really are an insider and know more than susan or warde, please your reasoning right now is circular. You're standing on nothing, but you keep on trying to prove your point. At least you have the determination to continue, I applaud you for that.

zls44

Reaction Score
okay, so you really are an insider and know more than susan or warde, please your reasoning right now is circular. You're standing on nothing, but you keep on trying to prove your point. At least you have the determination to continue, I applaud you for that.

What has Susan or Warde said or done that indicates we are going to the Big Ten?

Susan is expanding the university's research funding because the university's research funding sucks. Not to join the Big Ten. That's not her job.

Was it when Warde locked into a contract with a rival hockey conference? That's an action that could be interpreted as anti-Big Ten. It wasn't, it was to help the hockey program. But show me the counter-indicative action that shows they're trying to get in?

Reaction Score
I am sure the Big 1G has looked at UConn as has the ACC. With the exception of AAU status (which UConn is working on), UConn fits the profile, and UConn would deliver its home state for the BTN (at full rate, not the low rate the BTN gets in non-member markets.) In addition, the Big 1G will soon find out that Rutgers does not deliver NYC and adding UConn would help deliver the market. Schools like UNC and UVA are better fits for the Big 1G as they are in bigger markets and are AAU, although UVA athletics are below UConn's at this time. Plus, I question if UNC would want to go to a northern conference.

The SEC could get 2 ACC schools at anytime, but three schools that would beg to go, NC St., Clemson, and Florida St., are not in the SEC's top 2 choices.

Sure, it's speculation, but clearly more realignment is coming as mentioned by many insiders, so that can not be denied. It doesn't mean that it is happening this year or in five years, but sometime in the future. All of this is speculation until the Maryland exit lawsuit is settled. Once that happens, ACC schools can then make economic decisions.

Reaction Score

To this point, the Big Ten has shown no interest in UConn. Nothing has happened to change that. To suggest they have any interest is fallacy. It's people converting dreams into facts. They haven't "reached out" or "explored" or "researched" the idea of adding a school with a tiny football base in a recruiting nonentity to their conference.

There is no interest based on a wealth of evidence and from talking to people. None. Zero.

A dream without a plan is a wish.

You are doing what you accuse other of: taking an admitted lack of information and transforming that into fact, i.e., no B1G interest in UConn. Except that your conjecture is worse. The case for UConn is extensive: its geography, statements from the B1G about New York and southern New England, the Rutgers/UMD deal... Its called extapolation: taking existing knowns to make deductive conclusions about unknowns.

Reaction Score
Maryland added tangible value. Rutgers added tangible value. Connecticut is a total redundancy. Adds little more than another mouth to feed. That is reality.

Utter nonsense. The Jets are total redundancy, just another mouth for the NFL to feed. The Mets are total redundancy, just another mouth for MBB to feed. The Nets are total redundancy, just another mouth for the NBA to feed. The Islanders are total redundancy, just another mouth for the NHL to feed.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Go get your frigging shine box.

I understand being a realist - like Fishy. What I dont understand is why someone would bother being so devoid of hope. Why participate in this forum as a Uconn fan if you dont think the university and its programs have any value.

When does being a realist = being a non fan in general.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So you're an insider now, you were at the big 10 meetings I guess. You have no clue if the big 10 is interested in Uconn. No one here does. It's amazing how many sports analysts we have on this board, truly a wealth of knowledge.

ZLS doesn't know anything. Nor does Nostical who made a good case for the moves being directed at specific B1G criteria. None of us knows jack-.

The moves we are making on the academic side are for the benefit of the university as a whole, certainly. But LAX? In a region where it is huge at the HS level, we never had it. Why now, when our althetic department income may soon be reduced? Hockey I think is easier...we got an invite to the best league in the country (with regional rivals we now lack in other sports), and needed to do what it takes to keep that. Each thing can easily be explained away on its own (except LAX), but combined they do provide some circumstantial evidence that at the least, UConn is making itself attractive for the B1G. That doesn't mean the B1G is going to ask us to dance, or has given us some preconditions. That jump is just conjecture. As is the crazy notion that we turned down the ACC.

Reaction Score
ZLS doesn't know anything. Nor does Nostical who made a good case for the moves being directed at specific B1G criteria. None of us knows jack-.

UConn is making itself attractive for the B1G. That doesn't mean the B1G is going to ask us to dance, or has given us some preconditions. That jump is just conjecture. As is the crazy notion that we turned down the ACC.

Correct. I never suggested that uconn was big 10 or acc bound, I just posted the article because I though it was interesting.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Reporters don't make decisions. That's why they are called reporters...because...well...they report. Administrators aren't going to be forthcoming to you much longer (if they are presently) if you keep on leaking their info, even if it is anonymously.

I believe that the B1G is not interested in UConn as is, but they are "monitoring" UConn's actions. I believe that Herbst is postitioning the University acedemically and brandwise as a means of aiming for the B1G. The way the ACC has treated UConn has relegated themselves to consolation status of the larger prize.

Herbst is an SEC girl. She knows the school benefits acedemically (i.e. $$ wise) along with a well positioned athletic department. You don't get the $100,000 for the new chemistry labs by performing experiments in the quad. No one pays to see that.

Reaction Score
THE BIG TEN HAS NO INTEREST IN UCONN.

There have been quotes posted on this board of people that don't believe the B1G will ever be a 14 team league. Who does the B1G add? We saw with Texas remaining in the B-12 that schools would prefer to be in a conference that they essentially run over more money, so this leads me to believe that UNC will not leave the ACC for the B1G. Also I know that UNC considers themselves a southern culture so if they were to go anywhere they would prefer SEC. We also know that Notre Dame doesnt plan on leaving independence anytime soon.

So if the B1G were to go to 16 maybe they add UVA who else do they add? I don't buy Georgia Tech as a realistic option as because I don't believe the the B1G wants to add a team that is so far second second in their state to an SEC school. Also assuming UNC doesn't bite GT would be quite an outlier in the B1G but I don't think that would be a deal breaker.

FSU? Maybe They would be an extreme outlier in the B1G but I don't believe they are as high on the B-12 as most here. I think that they add enough to the B-12 that if they really had interest in the B-12 they would probably be there by now. The B1G played with 11 for several years so FSU wouldn't need someone else to go with them. Not sold that the B1G would want FSU but I could see it as a possibility.

If the B1G were to add FSU I think UVA makes less sense much like UCONN, UVA adds another mouth to feed in a market the B1G already has access to.

See how some posters can desire a B1G invite? None of the options for B1G expansion are perfect. Not trying to antagonize what is your opinion besides the B1G won't add UCONN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom