Interview with Delany | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Interview with Delany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Population (BTN, Washington D.C. DMA), Geography ("Contiguous" to Maryland, Football Recruiting Grounds), Academics (AAU public research university) and neighbor and rival to the basketball brand and alma mater of Delany: UNC.
All good points but not great points. When is the last time UVA filled the Garden? Or had a NC in football or basketball? Yes, their basketball team was good last year but their pedigree in these sports over time is not a good one. I mean over the past 25 years or so, how many years was UVA not even ranked in the AP top 25 at any time during the season in bball or football ? A lot!!!! Delaney opened an office in NYC not in Richmond. I just don't see Delaney going crazy over UVA at this point, if he did it would be a bigger mistake than the ACC grabbing Louisville, IMHO.

Reaction Score
Hockey is VERY important to the schools who play it, but not so vital that schools are champing at the bit to add hockey programs, and its weight in what decisions are being made across the board is minimal.

The B1G made its decision because it added some value to the BTN, but as a result of seizing an opportunity rather than seeking one out. If Penn State hadn't added hockey, though, the B1G would have been just fine leaving things as it was.

UConn made the decision it did to try and elevate hockey because things came to a situation where it would be either now or never. While Commissioner Bertagna had been on record saying he'd like to have all the New England publics playing HEA hockey, there was no way Hockey East would wait forever for us, especially not when Notre Dame had just signed on and unbalanced things. And although as much as we would like to say success will elevate our athletic prestige even further...we've got enough prestige in other sports, and none of it has helped our conference future. Some might even say chasing prestige in a sport which only certain regions of the country care about, and which only eight "major conference" schools even play, is a futile gesture on UConn's part.

I think you make some reasonable points. Thats said, Uconn has agreed to build a new hockey arena as part of joining the BEC. Since, IMO, even a modest arena is going to likely cost in the $60-75 million range (for comparison, PSU's was approx. $90M), plus the cost of the extra scholarships, it is hard, IMO, to make the case that hockey is not an important add.

Reaction Score
The way I read the tea leaves, Delany would like to be the NCAA sports player in the Northeast. The Northeast represents a huge population that is underserved/fragmented in the arena of college sports. Delany doesn't appear interested in selling out his conference's identity, e.g., Swofford/ACC, in pursuit of his objective. What is the B1G identity? Large state universities with high academic standards and highly competitive athletic programs. In short, those institutions that appeal to and are able to serve large, diverse populations of talented, motivated students. The Northeast is not exactly chock-a-block with such institutions.
UVA would be a natural fit with Maryland to anchor the southern end (Balto/DC) of the region.
Oh sure, you're absolutely correct. The University of Virginia and UNC are the first schools I'd think of for adding quality ice hockey programs to the B1G's new ice hockey league. Maryland is the absolute farthest south the B1G will go. And on top of that, the ad dollars just are not there in rural Virginia, like they are in New Jersey, New York State, Connecticut, and Mass. Delaney getting a hard on for UVA and UNC is some idiot posters fantasy. Talk about losing a leagues identity.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
All good points but not great points. When is the last time UVA filled the Garden? Or had a NC in football or basketball? Yes, their basketball team was good last year but their pedigree in these sports over time is not a good one. I mean over the past 25 years or so, how many years was UVA not even ranked in the AP top 25 at any time during the season in bball or football ? A lot!!!! Delaney opened an office in NYC not in Richmond. I just don't see Delaney going crazy over UVA at this point, if he did it would be a bigger mistake than the ACC grabbing Louisville, IMHO.

I want to preface my statement on Virginia with I love them as a school, but they don't do all that much for me athletically. Would I welcome them into the Big10? You bet. Am I chomping at the bit for them to join? Nope.

1. They are part of a very large market. Virginia is a heavily populated area with several large markets. They are the flagship school for the State of Virginia and would bring Richmond and, with UMD, Washington DC.

2. Virginia is a great recruiting area for both athletics and the general student population. Having the flagship school in that area would be a boon for the Big10.

3. They are an elite academic institution that would very much so appease the existing Big10 presidents. Elitists like to associate with other elitists.

4. UVA is the gateway to the big prize in the Mid-Atlantic: UNC. It's a long shot but if the Big10 can somehow convince UVA to sign up, it just might make UNC think about the Big10. UNC is the longest of long shots, but they wouldn't be out anything if they just got UVA out of it. UConn is the endgame for the NE (unless you think UMass or Buffalo is in the picture). They are the last school needed in the NE. UVA is just a piece of the puzzle in the Mid-Atlantic. A nesacary piece if UNC is going to be in the Big10.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Oh sure, you're absolutely correct. The University of Virginia and UNC are the first schools I'd think of for adding quality ice hockey programs to the B1G's new ice hockey league. Maryland is the absolute farthest south the B1G will go. And on top of that, the ad dollars just are not there in rural Virginia, like they are in New Jersey, New York State, Connecticut, and Mass. Delaney getting a hard on for UVA and UNC is some idiot posters fantasy. Talk about losing a leagues identity.

They are if you have the identity of a group of large, elite group of flagship schools. They fit perfectly with the other highly rated institutions.

Reaction Score
I want to preface my statement on Virginia with I love them as a school, but they don't do all that much for me athletically. Would I welcome them into the Big10? You bet. Am I chomping at the bit for them to join? Nope.

1. They are part of a very large market. Virginia is a heavily populated area with several large markets. They are the flagship school for the State of Virginia and would bring Richmond and, with UMD, Washington DC.

2. Virginia is a great recruiting area for both athletics and the general student population. Having the flagship school in that area would be a boon for the Big10.

3. They are an elite academic institution that would very much so appease the existing Big10 presidents. Elitists like to associate with other elitists.

4. UVA is the gateway to the big prize in the Mid-Atlantic: UNC. It's a long shot but if the Big10 can somehow convince UVA to sign up, it just might make UNC think about the Big10. UNC is the longest of long shots, but they wouldn't be out anything if they just got UVA out of it. UConn is the endgame for the NE (unless you think UMass or Buffalo is in the picture). They are the last school needed in the NE. UVA is just a piece of the puzzle in the Mid-Atlantic. A nesacary piece if UNC is going to be in the Big10.
The University of Virginia is not a flagship school in any athletic sense, and if you are talking football it's an even bigger joke, especially being in Frank Beamers back yard.

Reaction Score
They are if you have the identity of a group of large, elite group of flagship schools. They fit perfectly with the other highly rated institutions.
Virginia is highly rated athletically? In what sense?

Reaction Score
The University of Virginia is not a flagship school in any athletic sense, and if you are talking football it's an even bigger joke, especially being in Frank Beamers back yard.

The man added Rutgers. Let that sink in. He is obviously not concerned about athletic pedigree in football or anything else.

Reaction Score

Thanks for these compliments, but just as I explained to my friend from Penn State, UVA is not interested in changing conferences. The ACC has a bright future ahead of it, and UVA is very happy to be a part of it.

Reaction Score

The Big Ten visitors on your site agree that UConn would be a great addition to our conference. The discussion about UVA is about finding a partner for UConn and most us think UVA would also be a great fit. However, UVA is content in the ACC and not moving to the Big Ten so the question once again becomes who comes with UConn to the Big Ten. Your thoughts?

dayooper

Reaction Score
Thanks for these compliments, but just as I explained to my friend from Penn State, UVA is not interested in changing conferences. The ACC has a bright future ahead of it, and UVA is very happy to be a part of it.

I absolutely don't think you are. Rob asked why the Big10 was so interested in UVA and those are the reasons I why I believe so.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Virginia is highly rated athletically? In what sense?

They are highly rated academically. They are peer institutions to the best of the Big10. We, as fans, might care less whether the new schools are highly rated, but I believe the Big10 presidents do.

Oh, and the Big10 opened a satellite office in Baltimore. Just saying.

Reaction Score
Virginia does well in the "small sports".

Virginia is to soccer much as UConn is to basketball...six NCAA Championships (and three for the women).

The Cavs have won five NCAA Lacrosse championships (and the women have won three).

Reaction Score
I absolutely don't think you are. Rob asked why the Big10 was so interested in UVA and those are the reasons I why I believe so.

I understand. UVA fits all the metrics that the Big Ten looks for, and we are in a state of 8 million people contiguous with Maryland. But we are happy where we are.

Reaction Score

Virginia is to soccer much as UConn is to basketball...six NCAA Championships (and three for the women).

The Cavs have won five NCAA Lacrosse championships (and the women have won three).
That's all fine and dandy but big time college sports doesn't revolve around soccer and lacrosse, it revolves around football and basketball, sports that can make money, fill up the Garden, football stadiums, etc.

Reaction Score

Hopefully UVA can keep the momentum going and add to our 5 ITA Men's Indoor Tennis titles and 1 NCAA title. Also with a little luck perhaps the baseball team can break through and win one as well. They have been close before, but had some bad breaks against South Carolina. The funny thing is that the team is ranked #1, but they are in second place in the Coastal. Miami just refuses to lose.

The criticism of football is fair. What the football team has been doing lately is unacceptable. The AD knows this.

Reaction Score
That's all fine and dandy but big time college sports doesn't revolve around soccer and lacrosse, it revolves around football and basketball, sports that can make money, fill up the Garden, football stadiums, etc.

Basketball is such a distant second to football regarding "sports that can make money" that your statement seems to emphasize that a basketball school without a good football program is at a disadvantage...

Reaction Score
Basketball is such a distant second to football regarding "sports that can make money" that your statement seems to emphasize that a basketball school without a good football program is at a disadvantage...
Though it is 2nd to football on average, it is definitely not a distant 2nd. $25 million a year is not chump change to any University. And these are 2012 numbers, while UCONN was on probation. You couldn't be more wrong……

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2013/11/14/most-profitable-football-and-basketball-programs/

Reaction Score
No...$25 million is not chump change...

But when the majority of the top ten revenue earning programs are reporting basketball earning in percentages of 20% or less of football earnings ....it is what it is. Basketball is a secondary sport as far as revenue producing goes for the guys pulling in the big bucks.

And NO top ten earning school has a basketball program that pulls in even one half of what the football program brings in.

Reaction Score
"Tailspin"? Really? Hyperbole much!? Of the three major sports at BC, the biggest, the FB program, had two consecutive losing seasons in the last 12 and turned it around last year with a winning season. The new staff has revitalized the program and recruiting is better than it has been in quite some time. Hockey remains an elite program. Basketball has been in free fall the past couple of seasons. You can argue about the head coaching hire - but take a look at the assistants they brought on - very well regarded Northeast recruiters. We shall see how it all works out.

Meanwhile, FB is back. In the end, that is what drives the bus.

Football and bball are in tailspin. Hard to believe you can see it any other way. 20-30 in football last 4 years. Basketball has fallen off a cliff.

Reaction Score
SEC and Big XII fans are certainly not going to talk about Basketball. Kentucky and Florida have great basketball teams, but they have no competition in their league. You can go back 25 years, and I doubt anyone else has won that league in basketball.

The Big XII was really hyped by ESPN this year in basketball. They do have Kansas who is good. The rest folded as usual. The ACC had a bad tournament showing this year, but we have more than 1 or 2 teams that can do well going forward.

Arkansas!!!

Reaction Score

My god, you compared soccer to basketball, and are now talking bball as distant second? Someone pull up the tournament ratings. You'll see how wrong you are.

Reaction Score
No...$25 million is not chump change...

But when the majority of the top ten revenue earning programs are reporting basketball earning in percentages of 20% or less of football earnings ....it is what it is. Basketball is a secondary sport as far as revenue producing goes for the guys pulling in the big bucks.

And NO top ten earning school has a basketball program that pulls in even one half of what the football program brings in.
Louisville is at $95 million and about to jump $20 million in TV revenue and its basketball pulls in 3x as much as its football.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
btstimpy said:
Hopefully UVA can keep the momentum going and add to our 5 ITA Men's Indoor Tennis titles and 1 NCAA title. Also with a little luck perhaps the baseball team can break through and win one as well. They have been close before, but had some bad breaks against South Carolina. The funny thing is that the team is ranked #1, but they are in second place in the Coastal. Miami just refuses to lose.

The criticism of football is fair. What the football team has been doing lately is unacceptable. The AD knows this.

Did he just say men's indoor tennis? There are no words, just no words.

Reaction Score
Arkansas!!!
Yes Arkansas has been very good in the past, and LSU has as well when Dale Brown was there. Tennessee is occasionally good along with Missouri. But SEC basketball isn't exciting to me. Maybe it is to the fans in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom