International Break | Page 3 | The Boneyard

International Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't see anything good in Morales. Other than winning the free kick, he was awful, IMO.

Zardes, also failed to impress but he has some skills. Needs to learn the game.

Both center backs and Chandler were again horrible.

I don't know what to do with Shea. He is clearly limited, but his goal per minute rate has to be the best in the US pool.

I think you're missing the boat on Morales. He was out of position yesterday and I think he was their to clog up the left side and he did well. Watch the little things he does, he's a very technically sound player. Probably not ready to start in the big tournaments yet, but he'll kick butt against CONCACAF.

I watched parts of both games, but not the entirety of either game. My non-expert take-away is the US can play with the average to above average teams in Europe (not the elite tems just yet). We played against 2 sides who are both actively competing and pretty much shoe-ins to qualify for European Championships, so they are tuned up and playing in full from. They played a good Swiss team to a draw without a couple of of our better players up front (Dempsey and Johannson) and probably our 3rd or 4th best keeper...and only gave up the equalizer while playing a man down. They were outplayed/possessedby Denmakr but still held a late lead before once again giving up 2 late goals to lose.
Up front we seem to be finding a decent rhythm, but guys need to bury some of these point blank opportunities they're missing.
Midfield is okay, would like to see how they fare when everyone is playing in their correct position
Backline is brutal. Having Cameron will help, but way too many breakdowns
Goal keeping is not a concern as Guzan is solid and if Howard can defy time for the next 4 years, we should be okay.

I love the schedule of playing as many games as possible on European soil in prep for 2018. In the Arena and Bradley era it just felt like most of our friendlies were CONCACAF with the occassional CONMEBOL or UEFA team making a visit (not sure if that's factual, just felt that way). Now it feels like we are attempting to build a team and culture that can compete in Europe, historically we were content with a team that could compete in CONCACAF. We moved into a bigger fish tank...so we'll either get eaten or grow. Right now we have a few nibbles taken out of our back fin, but we're still swimming.

Exactly right. Arena and Bradley were pretty cowardly in their friendly scheduling. Our next three are against Mexico, Netherlands and Germany and then we have the Gold Cup, which will be be a step down until we have to play Mexico or Costa Rica.

Also, this team is so much better when we have a true #6 playing in front of the back four. Danny Williams did a good job in a really unsung performance. We're so much better when we have a Kyle Beckerman type player shielding the back four. It just makes it easier for everyone else to do their jobs.

Honestly, I think Klinsmann has a pretty good idea of what his best 11 is. I just think he's playing it close to the vest. He's called in 55 different players since the WC. I think he just wants to look at a lot of guys which is fine.

But, the thing I don't get is guys like Miguel Ibarra and Julian Green. Ibarra has been called into every camp since Donovan farewell and he has only gotten on the field twice. Green is obviously a mess and he should be playing with the U23s. Tim Ream is mainstay at Bolton, and he gets called in and plays for a grand total of 5 minutes. He must feel like his time has been wasted.

Reaction Score
I think you're missing the boat on Morales. He was out of position yesterday and I think he was their to clog up the left side and he did well. Watch the little things he does, he's a very technically sound player. Probably not ready to start in the big tournaments yet, but he'll kick butt against CONCACAF.

Exactly right. Arena and Bradley were pretty cowardly in their friendly scheduling. Our next three are against Mexico, Netherlands and Germany and then we have the Gold Cup, which will be be a step down until we have to play Mexico or Costa Rica.

Also, this team is so much better when we have a true #6 playing in front of the back four. Danny Williams did a good job in a really unsung performance. We're so much better when we have a Kyle Beckerman type player shielding the back four. It just makes it easier for everyone else to do their jobs.

Honestly, I think Klinsmann has a pretty good idea of what his best 11 is. I just think he's playing it close to the vest. He's called in 55 different players since the WC. I think he just wants to look at a lot of guys which is fine.

But, the thing I don't get is guys like Miguel Ibarra and Julian Green. Ibarra has been called into every camp since Donovan farewell and he has only gotten on the field twice. Green is obviously a mess and he should be playing with the U23s. Tim Ream is mainstay at Bolton, and he gets called in and plays for a grand total of 5 minutes. He must feel like his time has been wasted.

I agree. Playing very competitive friendlies in Europe also helps Klimsmann to 'play' with the UMSNT line-up and formation outside of the glare of US media, which is admitted limited outside of the World Cup. That said, there will be pressure internally and externally to beat Mexico at home, so I expect the best available players on the field for that one. For the Gold Cup, I expect to see what Klimsnan's sees as the potential 2018 WC qualifying team and formation will be.

Reaction Score
That said, there will be pressure internally and externally to beat Mexico at home...
Can't wait. Playing Mexico in San Antonio is not going to feel much like a home game.... Remember the Alamo!!

Reaction Score
Can't wait. Playing Mexico in San Antonio is not going to feel much like a home game.... Remember the Alamo!!

It's also a Mexican and US Federation cash grab.

Reaction Score
I agree. Playing very competitive friendlies in Europe also helps Klimsmann to 'play' with the UMSNT line-up and formation outside of the glare of US media, which is admitted limited outside of the World Cup. That said, there will be pressure internally and externally to beat Mexico at home, so I expect the best available players on the field for that one. For the Gold Cup, I expect to see what Klimsnan's sees as the potential 2018 WC qualifying team and formation will be.

Best available=Best US Players in MLS and Liga MX+Deandre Yedlin

Reaction Score
If were the NT manager, this would be my lineup against Mexico. Assuming of course it's MLS,NASL and Liga MX and Yedlin

Altidore
Villareal Dempsey Zardes
Bradley Jones
Shea Besler Orozco Yedlin
Yarbrough

Bench

Hedges
Nguyen
Feilhaber
Rimando
Alvarado
Agudelo
Garza
Ibarra

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:

I think he falls into the Joe Corona zone. Good with the ball in the warmup circle, but not a factor once the whistle blows.

He's young and maybe he learns postioning, tactics and to stay on the ball but, I saw a lot of terrible give aways and ball watching. That could be said for a lot of the young guys.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
If were the NT manager, this would be my lineup against Mexico. Assuming of course it's MLS,NASL and Liga MX and Yedlin

Altidore
Villareal Dempsey Zardes
Bradley Jones
Shea Besler Orozco Yedlin
Yarbrough

Bench

Hedges
Nguyen
Feilhaber
Rimando
Alvarado
Agudelo
Garza
Ibarra

This is the same Orozco-Fiscal from past cycles. Nowhere near good enough for this team. Plenty of other choices at centerback. I wish JK would cull the rotation to 3-5 guys. Brooks doesn't belong yet either but at least he has potential and 3 years to develop.

Where is a 32 yo, MOF fitting in for 2018? Jermaine Jones is better has a better shot at making the squad and I only say that because JK loves the guy. Neither would sniff my 2018 squad.

Reaction Score
This is the same Orozco-Fiscal from past cycles. Nowhere near good enough for this team. Plenty of other choices at centerback. I wish JK would cull the rotation to 3-5 guys. Brooks doesn't belong yet either but at least he has potential and 3 years to develop.

Where is a 32 yo, MOF fitting in for 2018? Jermaine Jones is better has a better shot at making the squad and I only say that because JK loves the guy. Neither would sniff my 2018 squad.

I'm just talking about the match in about two weeks and maybe for the Gold Cup. It's going to be an MLS squad and Jones in MLS. Other than Beckerman, I don't know who would be the best #6. Jones is really a box to box guy but he is better used as #6 right now. Beckerman is in the same boat age wise and he is a true #6, but he didn't even get called in for January. The other MLS guys available would be Will Trapp and Perry Kitchen but they aren't on the same level and I am assuming that Jurgen is actually going to go for a win here.

I am also assuming that the Jermaine Jones center back thing is dead, but you never know with Jurgen.

For the Gold Cup, I am thinking that Danny Williams will figure into the mix as a #6.

Jurgen pigeon holes center backs. You're either left or right. Besler and Brooks are the guys on the left. I think Omar Gonzales, Orozco, Cameron and Alvarado would be fighting for the right. Although Cameron can be used in other spots. Tim Ream and Matt Hedges are on the outside looking in.

Apparently Orozco would have been on a plane to Brazil if not for a late knock he took. Jurgen likes him.

As for 2018. I suspect that very few names we see on the roster now as mainstays will make it. There are too many guys, on the U-20 and in that age group that will be 22-23 years old and playing. Plus guys like Trapp and Harry Shipp will be mature like Zusi and a few other MLSrs did last cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom