International Break | Page 2 | The Boneyard

International Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Soccer is amazing. But last night I read reviews of all the players. Some said Orozco was great, some said he was rubbish. Some people liked Morales once he got up to speed, others said he was rubbish.

Yedlin has regressed bigtime.

Rubin should be with the U-20s.

Shea is horrid. He should never wear a US jersey again. HORRID.

I want my back line of Beasley Besler Gonzales/Cameron and Johnson back. Of course Beasley retired from int play, but Jurgen should try to get him back for the Gold Cup.

Reaction Score
Not sure any of that back four is worthy of a spot in 2018. Certainly not right now. Chandler looks so slow. Having Zardes playing above him is a disaster. Garza also looks overmatch quite often.

I've never seen so many giveaways inside 30 yds in front of your own goal in one game.

I can see Jozy and AJ up top, especially if Dempsey ages too quickly. All in all a very poor effort by everyone. The only bright spot was converting the few chances they did create. That game had 5-1 written all over it.

Jozy, AJ, Bradley even Bedoya (playing out of position) looked good at times. All players from Brazil last summer hmmmm. Johnson is our best Right Back, he should play Right Back. Chandler plays well for his club but he's lackluster with the national team.

Jurgen needs to look at the roster from Brazil and get the band back together. Thoise guys know the standards. I don't see many newbies that deserve spots more than those guys. Brad Davis can stay home though.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I suspect the Gold Cup roster will have a very Brazilian flavor. JK does need to evaluate guy, get guys capped, and press certain guys to improve. I get it. Chandler just doesn't seem to bring his A game to the nats. I am beginning to think that the over 30 crowd will not make it to Russia. Playing in the MLS, and winding down their pro careers will cause them to be Donovan'd.

Zardes does look like a player, just not player that knows the game vary well.

Reaction Score
I suspect the Gold Cup roster will have a very Brazilian flavor. JK does need to evaluate guy, get guys capped, and press certain guys to improve. I get it. Chandler just doesn't seem to bring his A game to the nats. I am beginning to think that the over 30 crowd will not make it to Russia. Playing in the MLS, and winding down their pro careers will cause them to be Donovan'd.

Zardes does look like a player, just not player that knows the game vary well.

Hopefully he can figure out who the A Team is before we get smoked by Mexico in San Antonio. There's already been multiple reports that players are tuning JK out. The fitness and MLS comments didn't sit well with a bunch of guys.

If we don't qualify for the Confed Cup I think Jurgen is going to be terminated.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Soccer is amazing. But last night I read reviews of all the players. Some said Orozco was great, some said he was rubbish. Some people liked Morales once he got up to speed, others said he was rubbish.

Yedlin has regressed bigtime.

Rubin should be with the U-20s.

Shea is horrid. He should never wear a US jersey again. HORRID.

I want my back line of Beasley Besler Gonzales/Cameron and Johnson back. Of course Beasley retired from int play, but Jurgen should try to get him back for the Gold Cup.
I wonder how much of Yedlin's regression is a result of him going to Tottenham and not seeing the field. Makes you wonder why JK is so adamant about these guys not playing in MLS when all they do is not see the field in Europe. Not sure how he expects them to grow if they aren't receiving PT

Reaction Score
We didn't look all that good last night. But we were playing a pretty good Danish team. Have to remember these teams are right in the middle of Euro 2016 qualifying. So you're gonna get a pretty good team.

We on the other hand are still experimenting quite a bit. Also it was in Denmark on a poor pitch in a cold windy rain. I don't think we were ever gonna look good in these conditions. And we didn't. Only really good things were, we scored when we had the chance and we didn't allow them to score as many as they probably should have.

2) none of them is really a defensive leader. They really don't have anyone (like a Bocenegra) marshaling the troops back there. Not sure who that would be though.

Rimando, I thought, didn't have a very good game. Terrible in the air. Had to punch everything back into play instead of grabbing the ball and giving the defense a break. Bobbled some shots (granted the weather/wind/pitch didn't help). Didn't have any control over his defense.

That's a big question for me. Tim's keeping skills are tremendous as world saw against Belgium last year; but, his ability to organize lead and often threaten the backline into shape was to me a very underrated talent that he had. I would bet there were players on the USMNT who were more afraid of Tim Howard than the other team. Rimando does not have the edge in my opinion. Is there a keeper in the US pipeline who does?

Reaction Score
I wonder how much of Yedlin's regression is a result of him going to Tottenham and not seeing the field. Makes you wonder why JK is so adamant about these guys not playing in MLS when all they do is not see the field in Europe. Not sure how he expects them to grow if they aren't receiving PT
Yedlin, he has not been in England so long to have regressed so much. He played all of last season with Seattle, so he hasn't missed that much field time (a month or two tops). And if he can't crack Tottenham's back four, that is not good. They are a very frustrating bunch to watch.

Reaction Score
That's a big question for me. Tim's keeping skills are tremendous as world saw against Belgium last year; but, his ability to organize lead and often threaten the backline into shape was to me a very underrated talent that he had. I would bet there were players on the USMNT who were more afraid of Tim Howard than the other team. Rimando does not have the edge in my opinion. Is there a keeper in the US pipeline who does?
That's a good call on TH. He organizes and commands the backline very well, and probably made up for a lot of talent gaps back there by directiung the play and positioning guys throughout the run of play. Guzan is close to that (not quite to the same degree) but I haven't seen it out of anyone else coming up the ranks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well Brad Guzan (plays in EPL for Aston Villa and is 6-4) does a pretty good job of organizing. He's not quite a vocal as Howard (might have somewhat to do with Howard's Tourette's??) Guzan is not the shot stopper Howard is, but probably a bit better at distribution. Guzan might be better at positioning too, a little, but Howard is just so quick and athletic, he makes all those crazy saves. Guzan is only 30, so he's got a few good years in him. Guzan's wife is about to have a baby, so that's why he wasn't called in for these 2 friendlies. I imagine he'll be the GK for the Gold Cup.

Rimando is already 35, so he's not long for the NT. I think he can fill in ok for friendlies and such and is a pretty good 3rd GK with experience in the locker room.

After that you are looking at Bill Hamid (DC United, 6-3, 24 years old) and Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire, 6-4, 25 years old). Unless someone else really starts showing up.

A couple others. Cody Cropper is a backup for Southampton, he 22. And they just called in for the first time William Yarbrough who plays for Leon in Mexico. He's 26. Don't know much about them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yedlin, he has not been in England so long to have regressed so much. He played all of last season with Seattle, so he hasn't missed that much field time (a month or two tops). And if he can't crack Tottenham's back four, that is not good. They are a very frustrating bunch to watch.
Well he's behind Walker who's a England International. Actually has been starting most of the games at RB for England recently.

Reaction Score
Well he's behind Walker who's a England International. Actually has been starting most of the games at RB for England recently.

Yedlin will get the spring to continue to acclimate at Spurs. Everyone seems to think that he'll be loaned out the summer window. Hopefully it will be to a team in the Championship where he starts and plays two matches a week.

Reaction Score

He looked awful against Panama. And on Wednesday he looked lost. He did nothing for the defense and all seven of his completed passes were back passes.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Yedlin will be loaned out before too long. I agree that guys should play in Europe but not at the expense of playing time.

I half wish the USMNT would sponsor one of the MLS squads but that might be against FIFA rules.

Reaction Score
Yedlin will be loaned out before too long. I agree that guys should play in Europe but not at the expense of playing time.

I half wish the USMNT would sponsor one of the MLS squads but that might be against FIFA rules.

If MLS wasn't single entity and there was free agency, the richest team would be stacked with USMNT players.

Reaction Score

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Is it just me or does that pitch look small?

Anyone see the goal by one African team got while the other African team was too busy celebrating after their own goal to get back? Worse of course was what happended to Russia's Igor Akinfeev at the friendly with Montenegro. What is it with playing soccer in the Balkans?

http://www.espnfc.us/european-champ...t-supporters-after-russia-qualifier-abandoned
Unreal. There's a simple answer to this. Not only remove them from Euro 2016 qualifying but from all international play in UEFA for the 2020 Euro's as well. It wasn't a single incident. It happened multiple times throughout the game. You wanna send a message, remove the country from competition for the next 5 years. If that doesn't send the message, remove them permanently. If I was a player from any country needing to go there, I'd simply refuse and would hope my nation's team would do the same. A game isn't worth risking your life.

Reaction Score
I hate say anything really bad, but over here (in Germany) I run into a lot of these guys from the Balkans. Some of them are just animals. It's kind of scary sometimes.

Reaction Score
Home sick today, so I got to watch the USA v. Switzerland game. Missed large parts due to said illness. Overall, good effort put in; but, that back line is very suspect. Brek's goal was spot on. Switzerland deserved the equalizer as the US back 4 looked clueless on several corner kicks and paid the price for it. No issue with eth double yellow given to Altidore as he should know better; but, if the ref is going to card the US for dissention, then several Swiss players should have been carded, too. Will take a 1 to 1 draw away against a solid Euro club playing a man down.

Reaction Score
Home sick today, so I got to watch the USA v. Switzerland game. Missed large parts due to said illness. Overall, good effort put in; but, that back line is very suspect. Brek's goal was spot on. Switzerland deserved the equalizer as the US back 4 looked clueless on several corner kicks and paid the price for it. No issue with eth double yellow given to Altidore as he should know better; but, if the ref is going to card the US for dissention, then several Swiss players should have been carded, too. Will take a 1 to 1 draw away against a solid Euro club playing a man down.

Took a long lunch and watched at home because I am sicko.

I think we learned a great deal from this match. Players like Morales and Danny Williams showed up and looked good. Altidore is looking sharper and sharper as gets more consistent. Bradley is still not a center attacking midfielder but we had nobody else to play there so he had to move up.

Lineup 4-4-2 diamond

Jozy, Zardes

Bradley
Morales, Bedoya
Williams
Shea, Brooks, Orozco, Chandler
Rimando

Subs:
Yarbrough-Rimando
Alvarado-Orozco
Yedlin-Bedoya
Ream-Williams
Morris-Zardes

I thought the first half was a very good showing. Michael "World Class my ass" Bradley missed and easy sitter and Bedoya should have put a header in the back of the net. It very easily could have been 2-0 at the half. My impression was that we had the Swiss really frustrated and I wish we had gotten more for that.

Brek Shea reminds of some of our younger UConn running backs. Has a brilliant game and then he forgets how to play. I thought that even before the goal that he was the best player for us. I don't like him at left back though. I think he is left wing still.

The game really turned on Jozy getting sent off. He totally deserved it, he told the ref to to himself not once but twice. Stupid. That changed the game in my opinion because Altidore, Bradley and Zardes were doing a good job pressing high and disrupting the Swiss. Once that dried up the Swiss went into attack mode and it was only a matter of time.

I've seen statues and turnstiles that defend better than Tim Chandler and Deandre Yedlin. Alfredo Morales is a stud. He's normaly a center mid, but I think Jurgen had him there to help contain Shaquiri and I think Shaquiri wants to press charges for theft as a result. He looked really good and I can finally see why Jurgen loves this guy so much.

Danny Williams looked solid as a Dmid. There's a reason why he starts every game for Reading.

I still think that Matt Besler is a better Left Center Back than John Brooks. Brooks should become better someday, but even with his upside, he makes some errors that caused a moments.

Alvarado (Club America) and Yarbrough (Leon) are solidly US players. Jurgen uses these camps like a college coach uses official visits. Mexico was looking at these guys and they are totally onboard. Both are starters for quality Liga MX Clubs. Alvarado is a good option on the right side. I think Yarbrough will be our third keeper in the near term.

Next friendly is on April 15 against Mexico in San Antonio I believe. It's not a FIFA date but so we probably won't have any European based players, although it would be nice if FIFA came through finally on Gedion Zelalem's paperwork. Also, I doubt Tottenham will miss Yedlin much. Brad Friedel was the analyst today and he gave an update on Yedlin's status. He's integrated with the club well, but he won't play until the friendlies this summer.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
What caused Jozy to go off on the ref like that? Sounds rather stupid to pull that move and he's been around long enough to be disciplined enough to know better then that. Was he frustrated from the game? Sounds odd.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I don't see anything good in Morales. Other than winning the free kick, he was awful, IMO.

Zardes, also failed to impress but he has some skills. Needs to learn the game.

Both center backs and Chandler were again horrible.

I don't know what to do with Shea. He is clearly limited, but his goal per minute rate has to be the best in the US pool.

Reaction Score
I watched parts of both games, but not the entirety of either game. My non-expert take-away is the US can play with the average to above average teams in Europe (not the elite tems just yet). We played against 2 sides who are both actively competing and pretty much shoe-ins to qualify for European Championships, so they are tuned up and playing in full from. They played a good Swiss team to a draw without a couple of of our better players up front (Dempsey and Johannson) and probably our 3rd or 4th best keeper...and only gave up the equalizer while playing a man down. They were outplayed/possessedby Denmakr but still held a late lead before once again giving up 2 late goals to lose.
Up front we seem to be finding a decent rhythm, but guys need to bury some of these point blank opportunities they're missing.
Midfield is okay, would like to see how they fare when everyone is playing in their correct position
Backline is brutal. Having Cameron will help, but way too many breakdowns
Goal keeping is not a concern as Guzan is solid and if Howard can defy time for the next 4 years, we should be okay.

I love the schedule of playing as many games as possible on European soil in prep for 2018. In the Arena and Bradley era it just felt like most of our friendlies were CONCACAF with the occassional CONMEBOL or UEFA team making a visit (not sure if that's factual, just felt that way). Now it feels like we are attempting to build a team and culture that can compete in Europe, historically we were content with a team that could compete in CONCACAF. We moved into a bigger fish tank...so we'll either get eaten or grow. Right now we have a few nibbles taken out of our back fin, but we're still swimming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom