Interesting ... | The Boneyard

Interesting ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
That's uncalled for. The woman made some stupid comments but you don't harass her to the point she disconnects her landline.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This was a clear case of "don't blame the player, blame the system."

I agree with the article's author. FTA:
Melo clearly wasn’t adequately prepared for college-level work in a second language, but because he was a basketball phenom, Syracuse did what it could to keep him on the court. That anyone, let alone a message-board user who appears to be a Syracuse trustee, would blame the vacated wins on the 21-year-old trying to play basketball in a foreign country and not Boeheim, Syracuse, the NCAA, anybody else involved in profiting from his labor, or the concept of amateurism—and do so as a reaction to his death—tells all you need to know about big-time college athletics.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Melo clearly wasn’t adequately prepared for college-level work in a second language, but because he was a basketball phenom, Syracuse did what it could to keep him on the court. That anyone, let alone a message-board user who appears to be a Syracuse trustee, would blame the vacated wins on the 21-year-old trying to play basketball in a foreign country and not Boeheim, Syracuse, the NCAA, anybody else involved in profiting from his labor, or the concept of amateurism—and do so as a reaction to his death—tells all you need to know about big-time college athletics.
Yes, this take is probably the correct one.

America got what it needed out of Fab Melo

Reaction Score
Glad to see this handle re-surface. I hope you've been doing alright.

I thought Syracuse fans handled the news with a lot of class, generally speaking. That 2012 squad was the best Syracuse team I've ever seen. They lost one game all year with Melo eligible.

They cheated, that why the only lost one game.

Reaction Score
How far into college basketball millionaire fantasy world do you have to be to have that take on a deceased player? And then she doubled down! At least a bunch of Cuse fans rightfully gave her the riot act.

Reaction Score

And Joyce H. Years ago I got in a tussle with her on the Cuse board. Cuse put Fab through the wringer, used him, cheated to keep him in the game and in the end blamed him. I truly hope he at least got to make a few bucks here before going home. RIP Fab. Shame on Cuse.

Reaction Score
The Romans had a saying De mortuis nihil nisi bonum ("Of the dead, nothing unless good")
Pretty good advice for everyone to heed. Unless you're talking about all time historic villains.

Reaction Score
This story is now on Reddit and Barstool Sports and our little orange pal is taking a beating in the comments section.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Syracuse used him so much as the NCAA did. It wasn't as if Syracuse was the only party benefiting - in the end, Melo got more out of it than they did, seeing as he was declared ineligible at the worst possible time, when they had built their entire defense around him (remember, they may have become the first one seed to lose in the opening round were it not for some officiating shenanigans). He went in the first round, so I don't buy the narrative that they failed him.

He is, however, a compelling case study for overhauling the system. This was a kid who seemed to be doing what every other kid in his shoes would have been doing, and he was put through a lot of needless BS for it. I understand that certain standards have to be met to qualify at a University, but when so many other variables provide incentive to cheat, perhaps it is time to try something else rather than blaming the two parties who are merely operating in accordance with self-interest.

Reaction Score
This story is now on Reddit and Barstool Sports and our little orange pal is taking a beating in the comments section.

Her biggest mistake was probably doubling down with the non-apology. This is probably a non-story if she had merely done something to diffuse the situation. "I'm sorry you're offended" probably wasn't the right play there.

I'm sure most of us have been there where we're just not seeing something. Hopefully a happy ending can be salvaged from this.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
All this over a message board post. I would love to know who the rat is that made this epic.

My fondest memory of cto was when she was supplying all the meat (proteins!) for a Boneyard tailgate. She arrived a little late with the right side of her SUV caved in due to a collision on the way to Storrs. That accident would have made a lesser Yarder bail. High school senior, Dan Orlovsky, later dined on a burger and dog she supplied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom