Interesting Vic Schaefer quote | The Boneyard

Interesting Vic Schaefer quote

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Regarding having 3 players 6'5" and taller on his roster. "If you can run, got hands and have size, you’ve got a chance. You can’t never have too many bigs. You win with guard play, but you win championships with size.” This from a coach with zero championships? I guess he was thinking I had one BIG but Mulkey had two BIGs. Notre Dame had two BIGs the previous year.

"can't never" - really Vic?!

Reaction Score
Regarding having 3 players 6'5" and taller on his roster. "If you can run, got hands and have size, you’ve got a chance. You can’t never have too many bigs. You win with guard play, but you win championships with size.” This from a coach with zero championships? I guess he was thinking I had one BIG but Mulkey had two BIGs. Notre Dame had two BIGs the previous year.

Southern drawl....or drivel?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Mulkey had Griner for 4 years (a few coupled with Sims) and one championship.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I don't think that's what he means at all.....just emphasizing the importance of having size in today's day and age. I'm sure Baylor is fresh in his mind after seeing them dominate the paint this tournament. Plus in the two title games he's played in, the best player on the opposing team was Jess Shepard (post) and A'ja Wilson (post). Before that, UCONN won 4 straight with gogo gadget arms Stewie, and Baylor won before that with 6-8 Griner. Size is important, that's what he's saying.

And Vic has never had great English....that isn't changing anytime soon and I'm not sure why that matters.

Reaction Score

Zero championships? The Bulldogs have won the SEC regular season championship at least once during Vic's tenure, and last season they also won their first SEC conference tournament championship. Those should count.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
JMSDAWG. Stewies Frosh year, she started like a whirlwind and then in the Paradise Jam she hit a road block, her CONFIDENCE hit it's lowest point until the NCAA's, a few great games--zoom the confidence came back and never departed. SIZE, with talent, and must have Confidence at any size (DT,Sue, Maya, Rene, CW, Walker, Danger, ONO, etc) is a must have. The one characteristic Geno likes most is Confidence, he can teach other things but Confidence most certainly came from Momma.\
Ania and her Momma have it..

Reaction Score
It seems like he said guard play can take you pretty far (just look at UConn the last few years), but talented bigs make championships easier to obtain (see any of the champions the last 10 years and most had good if not great bigs that contributed to the championships).

Reaction Score
It seems like he said guard play can take you pretty far (just look at UConn the last few years), but talented bigs make championships easier to obtain (see any of the champions the last 10 years and most had good if not great bigs that contributed to the championships).
Stewie would have won with the last 3 Uconn teams, and it wouldn't have come down to last second shots.

Reaction Score
quality big posts equal easy baskets..............when your outside shooting is off or you just need a basket, it's a wonderful thing to have a 6'5" post that can grab an offensive rebound or just bull her way to an easy layup......................every good team should have a couple..................;)

Reaction Score
I think controlling the glass is probably the most important single thing in basketball, but there are many others. Dominant big plus decent talent around her seems to equal about 25 wins in wbb.

Reaction Score
Methinks you're all in a twitter about nothing. Vic HAS won championships, and let's not forget that many Aggie faithful credit him with a HUGE role in helping Texas A&M cut down the nets. You don't have to have won championships to know what it will take to win one. I don't throw 100 MPH but I can tell you if you have one on your roster that can make it move a bit, you're gonna win some games.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
.....and, he's right; Who wouldn't want plenty of good, big players, and good guards?
A lot of people always mention teams which had a shortage of big players, or "not the best guards.".....Well, there are always exceptions, but I'll go with plenty of big players and some good guards.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Southern drawl....or drivel?
Hard to detect a "drawl", Southern or otherwise, from the written quote. Drivel ,on the other hand, has no geographic boundaries. As to the double negative, I've heard it all my life and in too many locations to count. It is casual, common language. Not my cup of tea, but it is so ubiquitous in spoken language that it is hardly notable. Vic is a coach, being interviewed. As far as I know he does not teach modern English at Mississippi State. Please do not hold him to a standard that is inapplicable.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And Vic has never had great English....that isn't changing anytime soon and I'm not sure why that matters.

I think you mean it ain't never changing.

I'm one who enjoys vernacular. I think the way I speak depends on whom I'm talking to, where I am (Maine vs. Virginia), etc. It's all good.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I'm one who enjoys vernacular. I think the way I speak depends on whom I'm talking to, where I am (Maine vs. Virginia), etc. It's all good.
Don't make me no nevermind!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

I am a vernacularphile, too, And I was wondering how anyone, even Vic ,"has never had great English". Can one "have" English, great or otherwise? But @bballnut90 has clearly pointed out that it does not really matter. This is basketball, not Fowler's. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom