Interesting stats in the game last night. | The Boneyard

Interesting stats in the game last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Won't steal David's thunder, but some interesting things from last night.

Not very often you see a team (especially UCONN, but really any team) outshot 48% to 47% and 38% to 35% (3pt) AND out rebounded 36-35 but still win the game by double digits. They even out blocked us, which doesn't happen very often either. 5-2.

Luckily we did win the FT 17/22 vs 3/8 and the TOs 14 to 22.

If we can get Butler up to speed, that may help with the rebounding.

Reaction Score
To me these numbers are a bit worrisome. They indicate exceptional resilience, but fading finesse.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Someone else on the board noted that even good teams have bad games from time to time. That's true and great team find a way to win even against a good opponent. That's what we saw last night. It seemed to me that we typically got the shots we wanted, the ball just didn't go in. I can't remember the last time I saw a UConn team that missed so many open shots. That's not to take anything away from Maryland, who played well.

We often complain on the board about how the rest of college basketball hasn't stepped up to compete against UConn. Well, under the be careful what you wish for heading, I think that we are seeing the impact of teams raising the resources, effort and expectations for WCBB. Notre Dame, DePaul and now Maryland have all figured out how to compete. Keep in mind that this is very good UConn team, with possibly the best guard, big combo we've ever had...and yet teams are competing. It's great for the sport, and long overdue. Is it good for UConn? Perhaps not, but it is great for the fans because the number of competitive games is increasing.

All that said, if UConn and Maryland meet again when Natalie is back at full strength, I think that Jones will find the post a much more difficult place to operate. JMHO.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
UCONN brought its B- game last night. Maryland brought its A game. Despite the couple of times MD took a lead, there was never any sense of panic or worry. Geno was calm on the sidelines, at least visibly, and didn't shout the whole game.

Not worried about any negative trend showing. Teams are bringing their A game and UCONN always has the target on their back. This is nothing new. This OOC schedule is good prep for what is coming and for the tournament run.

Reaction Score
Won't steal David's thunder, but some interesting things from last night.

Not very often you see a team (especially UCONN, but really any team) outshot 48% to 47% and 38% to 35% (3pt) AND out rebounded 36-35 but still win the game by double digits. They even out blocked us, which doesn't happen very often either. 5-2.

Luckily we did win the FT 17/22 vs 3/8 and the TOs 14 to 22.

If we can get Butler up to speed, that may help with the rebounding.

Geno has had 17 months and using Natalie against Stokes and Stewie to get her "up to speed". I suspect once the thumb issue is less (not fully recovered because that will be months) she will be a down low asset--defensively if not offensively. The AAC is a great arena to test her effectiveness even with a thumb issue.
Loved the numbers---in the 3rd quarter and beyond, Uconn seemed to make an effort to get fouled--

Reaction Score
UCONN brought its B- game last night. Maryland brought its A game. Despite the couple of times MD took a lead, there was never any sense of panic or worry. Geno was calm on the sidelines, at least visibly, and didn't shout the whole game.

Not worried about any negative trend showing. Teams are bringing their A game and UCONN always has the target on their back. This is nothing new. This OOC schedule is good prep for what is coming and for the tournament run.
Come on----Uconn brought it's B game?? Do you think Maryland had anything to do with that?? They had a game plan to rough up Uconn bump hard on cuts, everyone to the basket of rebounds--and she used a semi--platoon system, with lots of subbing (learned from Bruno)
I'm not a a fan of the MD or their coach--they did bring their AAA game. Give them a bit of credit. The sky isn't falling and Geno will fix what he saw (if he can)--some of the issue was Jones---just too big and strong for anyone on Uconn to handle. When was the last time anyone got 12 of 14 against Uconn??? Jones did. Hope Butler will fix that before the NCAA's.
I never felt that game was falling to MD even with a point or two lead--it was a fun game to watch.

Reaction Score
Someone else on the board noted that even good teams have bad games from time to time. That's true and great team find a way to win even against a good opponent. That's what we saw last night. It seemed to me that we typically got the shots we wanted, the ball just didn't go in. I can't remember the last time I saw a UConn team that missed so many open shots. That's not to take anything away from Maryland, who played well.

We often complain on the board about how the rest of college basketball hasn't stepped up to compete against UConn. Well, under the be careful what you wish for heading, I think that we are seeing the impact of teams raising the resources, effort and expectations for WCBB. Notre Dame, DePaul and now Maryland have all figured out how to compete. Keep in mind that this is very good UConn team, with possibly the best guard, big combo we've ever had...and yet teams are competing. It's great for the sport, and long overdue. Is it good for UConn? Perhaps not, but it is great for the fans because the number of competitive games is increasing.

All that said, if UConn and Maryland meet again when Natalie is back at full strength, I think that Jones will find the post a much more difficult place to operate. JMHO.

"Great for the fans"? Not according to Geno. Coach said on the first "GA Show" that UConn fans have three expectations: win, win big, win beautiful. If, as you say, other teams are raising their game, two of the three expectations are likely to go unmet. The Huskies didn't win big (the 10 pt. margin was achieved at the very end of the game by Chong's trey and Jefferson's two FTs). They certainly didn't win pretty: threw the ball away repeatedly, got beat down the court repeatedly, missed bunnies, and were generally manhandled. I wonder how many fans are prepared to relinquish their expectations in order to have games like the one last night. Not me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Great for the fans"? Not according to Geno. Coach said on the first "GA Show" that UConn fans have three expectations: win, win big, win beautiful. If, as you say, other teams are raising their game, two of the three expectations are likely to go unmet. The Huskies didn't win big (the 10 pt. margin was achieved at the very end of the game by Chong's trey and Jefferson's two FTs). They certainly didn't win pretty: threw the ball away repeatedly, got beat down the court repeatedly, missed bunnies, and were generally manhandled. I wonder how many fans are prepared to relinquish their expectations in order to have games like the one last night. Not me.
I enjoy competitive games, particularly when the good guys win, but if you prefer blow outs, take heart, the conference schedule is upon us.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I didn't think UCONN played a B- game, I just thought that MD was well prepared and came out with believe that they could win. MD played good defense, which affected UCONN's shooting percentage.

But, guess what, UCONN won again, so a 10 point win over a very good MD team is a pretty darn good performance.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
UCONN women against Maryland certainly didn't win pretty: they threw the ball away Repeatedly, got beat down the court repeatedly, missed easy shots, and were generally manhandled.

GENO has some work to do ! All teams will SCRUTINIZE this replay tape. Refs want close games due to advertisers $$$$. Talent is growing in Women's basketball as jobs shrink and audience increases. Kiah Stokes was VERY Athletic, UCONN needs a BIG center, Badly, as MD made CLEAR Mon Night !

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
GENO has some work to do ! All teams will SCRUTINIZE this replay tape. Refs want close games due to advertisers $$$$. Talent is growing in Women's basketball as jobs shrink and audience increases. Kiah Stokes was VERY Athletic, UCONN needs a BIG center, Badly, as MD made CLEAR Mon Night !

Really?? When did this become a factor and what the hell does that second phrase even mean???

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UCONN women against Maryland certainly didn't win pretty: they threw the ball away Repeatedly, got beat down the court repeatedly, missed easy shots, and were generally manhandled.

Refs are worried about advertising dollars? Maybe ESPN does, but I'm quite certain that refs don't.

Did Sarah Palin write that post?

Reaction Score
Refs are worried about advertising dollars? Maybe ESPN does, but I'm quite certain that refs don't.

Did Sarah Palin write that post?

Yo East - I would stay away from politics---it can get rough and ugly.
By the way - Palin played basketball and was a starter. Obama shot 1 for 20 in the recent past and that's on video. Let's not go there.

Reaction Score
The difference in free throws is a clue here. MD played rough and hard, perhaps accounting for our (relatively) poor percentage from the floor. But that style of play had its effects, among them the benching of some of their key players and giving us lots of opportunities at the foul line.

Reaction Score
By the way - Palin played basketball and was a starter. Obama shot 1 for 20 in the recent past and that's on video. Let's not go there.
From Wikipedia: During her senior year, she was co-captain and point guard of the basketball team that won the 1982 Alaska state championship, earning the nickname "Sarah Barracuda"
sarah-heath-basketball.jpg

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I guess you don't have to be intelligent to be a good player and that being intelligent doesn't make you a good player.

Reaction Score
I guess you don't have to be intelligent to be a good player and that being intelligent doesn't make you a good player.

Thank you for your opinion. Stay with your strength--WBB. I guess knowing about Red lines, JV teams, keeping your plans, no lobbyists & transparency (among hundreds of items)--really shows intelligence (and keeping one's word.) Yea--that's the ticket!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
From Wikipedia: During her senior year, she was co-captain and point guard of the basketball team that won the 1982 Alaska state championship, earning the nickname "Sarah Barracuda"
sarah-heath-basketball.jpg
Cool socks. :D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Thank you for your opinion. Stay with your strength--WBB. I guess knowing about Red lines, JV teams, keeping your plans, no lobbyists & transparency (among hundreds of items)--really shows intelligence (and keeping one's word.) Yea--that's the ticket!

Good lord, it was a joke...not a statement on anyone's policies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

But thank you for saying that my strength is WBB. I feel quite certain that there are many who will disagree with that observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom