Interesting stat | The Boneyard

Interesting stat

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well to me anyway.

Last 7 opponents, we've played 4 ranked (Duke, Rutgers, Louisville and GT), and 3 unranked (Syracuse, USF and OK). We ran our little gauntlet.

Against the ranked teams we gave up an average of 57 pts a game (171 pts). Against the ranked teams we gave up 40.25 (161 pts). Yea we gave up more point against 3 unranked teams than we did against 4 ranked teams.

I'm thinking we should play more ranked teams.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
talk about "playing down to the competition"

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well to me anyway.

Last 7 opponents, we've played 4 ranked (Duke, Rutgers, Louisville and GT), and 3 unranked (Syracuse, USF and OK). We ran our little gauntlet.

Against the ranked teams we gave up an average of 57 pts a game (171 pts). Against the ranked teams we gave up 40.25 (161 pts). Yea we gave up more point against 3 unranked teams than we did against 4 ranked teams.

I'm thinking we should play more ranked teams.

You did not divide the ranked opponents by 4. the averaged scored by the ranked opponents was 42.75 (171/4) not 57.

Yikes! Phil, you are right I have no clue bout nuttin' in Meyers post because of the errors. Which was the ranked or the unranked. Divided by 3 or 4 ...

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Against the ranked teams we gave up an average of 57 pts a game (171 pts). Against the ranked teams we gave up 40.25 (161 pts).

I wish we had an edit function.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We do for 20 minutes on our own posts, plus we do have a preview function. But yeah it would be nice to fix our own when we see them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Oops, sorry, yea make that

Against the UNranked teams we gave up an average of 57 pts a game (171 pts / 3). Against the ranked teams we gave up 40.25 (161 pts / 4).

Geez, two little letters.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Oops, sorry, yea make that

Against the UNranked teams we gave up an average of 57 pts a game (171 pts / 3). Against the ranked teams we gave up 40.25 (161 pts / 4).

Geez, two little letters.

I invite your attention to what Mark Twain had to say about this type of situation: "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug."

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I invite your attention to what Mark Twain had to say about this type of situation: "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug."

Heh, I was just about to post that. You're too quick for me.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
if it was just one game i'd say maybe an anomaly. but 4 ranked and 3 unranked is enough to at least use the stats for a reasonable analysis. of course, not sure what conclusions can be drawn from it, and i can picture Meghan asking Geno about it on the Geno show -

"Geno - the fine folks on the BY noticed this statistic in the last 7 games regarding ranked vs. unranked opponents. why do you play the ranked teams better, statistically?"

"i have no idea"...

but i wonder if the staff looks at that at all, or if they just focus on the game and opponent. i'm betting they don't look at those type of stats even tho fans certainly do...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I'm betting part of it is that in those games Geno gets the bench in a lot more (and I don't mean bench as in KML) they don't play together as much, and their defense isn't as cohesive as the starting 5 + KML. So I think a lot of those points might come in the last part of games. Geno has a tendency to leave his starters in against ranked teams, not to run up the score but because there is more danger of them coming back, I suppose.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
I'm guessing the UCONN shooting percentages might be down against unranked teams (in the 7 games used in the comparison). Lack of concentration, perhaps (on defense, based upon points allowed, as the original poster noted)?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Not that it matters all that much, but using ranked vs. Unranked is less analytically correct than using RPI which at this point is a far more accurate measure of how good teams are.. For example Oklahoma is around 19 I believe in RPI and they certainly looked at least that good last night.. Them being unranked is even more stupid than WVU being unranked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom