Interesting potential direction for HBO

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Mano, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Mano

Mano

2. Robertelamin

Robertelamin

What a joke. That guy is paid millions and the best he can come up with is to copy Netflix. What a visionary (if this was 2010)!

3. nelsonmuntz

nelsonmuntz Point Center

Netflix is a studio and broadcaster that's equity is priced like its a software company. I don't like Netflix's strategy of controlling all their own content, because so much of it is crap. That said, I agree that HBO needs more content. The $11 a month charge is pretty steep for old movies and a handful of original programs. I don't have the right answer, but I think both HBO's and Netflix's strategies are losers. I think there is value to being a content aggregator.

4. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Hoping to see something that looks like basketball

Pure content aggregators are dead or soon will be. There's no value in it. The differentiation is entirely in having unique content.

Netflix though, has overdone it by producing massive volumes of crap. Their site is a disaster because you can't even find any third party content anymore, and 3/4 of their content is garbage. They need to focus more narrowly on producing quality shows and beefing up the 3rd party movies and shows, which are currently inadequate. It looks like a TV channel now.

It seems like HBO may be striking the right balance. What you need is a mix of content aggregation plus "must watch" exclusive content like GOT and Westworld. But if AT&T wants people to pay for it, they are going to have to beef up the aggregation end, it is too light right now. They have plenty of additional content that they can add.

Amazon is out there too. And has done a better job of producing content with impact.

It's an interesting competition. Good to have more players.

5. nelsonmuntz

nelsonmuntz Point Center

I don't have the answer on this, but I know that no single content creator, whether HBO or Netflix or AMC or whoever, has enough content to justify an increasing subscription model without aggregating content from other parties.