Interesting Opening Day/Week Games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interesting Opening Day/Week Games

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
South Carolina is much more watchable than in past years. They are big, fast, and athletic. I think they are a top 2-3 team, possibly better than LSU. They added a certified shooter in PaoPao. They are beatable, but they are really, really good.

Reaction Score
I know its game one but South Carolina and USC look pretty scary. And, on the flip side Notre Dame . Of course, itand Ohio State are struggling to score which was kind of a concern coming into the season for both teams. Bight spot for ND is both Hannah Hidalgo and Nat Marshall. Marshall has been great in her minutes.
Both SCs were excellent Defensive teams last year and are starting that way this year. Offense takes a little longer to it a groove.

Hidalgo lived up to expectations

Reaction Score
Well, the SC ND game was an eye opener for me, I thought ND would upset SC. I knew Cardoso would be a handful but the Freshman PG was amazing. They looked FF or even NC capable to me.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is much more watchable than in past years. They are big, fast, and athletic. I think they are a top 2-3 team, possibly better than LSU. They added a certified shooter in PaoPao. They are beatable, but they are really, really good.
Sounds weird to say about a team that was the best in the nation last year, but I think this team has a higher ceiling. Last year's team was great but flawed. Against a top tier opponent, they were always prone to a tight whistle or awful shooting.

Reaction Score
Well, tOSU battled back but they could not overcome USC.

Reaction Score
Freshman guards on opening day have been brilliant all day. Juju. Hidalgo. With 30! Fulwiley off the bench . Wow.

Makayla and LSU still to come

Reaction Score
Their supposed star McMahon did not have a good game.
I was wondering what was up (only watched the 2nd half and with the sound off). Did the announcers talk about it at all?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sounds weird to say about a team that was the best in the nation last year, but I think this team has a higher ceiling. Last year's team was great but flawed. Against a top tier opponent, they were always prone to a tight whistle or awful shooting.

This year's team looks like a better shooting team. They may not have the automatic buckets inside, but Cardoso isn't much of a step down from Boston. Last year's team lived on the O boards. This year's team can actually make first shots. I'm not sure that Fulwiley is a shooter, but she's quick, a tenacious defender, and a gifted distributor. I've seen her listed at between 5'6" and 5'10". I think she's on the taller side of that.

Reaction Score
JuJu Watkins(the real deal) has 16 points at the half. Plus 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block in USC's 46-28 lead at the half. Game is on Tru TV
I really wanted to land JuJu and wondered aloud whether SoCal might not be a rising force.

Reaction Score
This year's team looks like a better shooting team. They may not have the automatic buckets inside, but Cardoso isn't much of a step down from Boston. Last year's team lived on the O boards. This year's team can actually make first shots. I'm not sure that Fulwiley is a shooter, but she's quick, a tenacious defender, and a gifted distributor. I've seen her listed at between 5'6" and 5'10". I think she's on the taller side of that.

She's definitely around 5'10.

Reaction Score
She is a hot/cold shooter from 3. Today was an off day. I expect more consistency as she matures but she has the touch. She made a logo 3 in the charity event against Rutgers and I believe was 3-6 from downtown up until junk time.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. Maybe not quite as good defensively or on the boards, but much better/more balanced offensively with (maybe mostly the same thing) much better passing all around. I'm also pleased to see Tehina looking like her best former self after a really difficult last season in Eugene for many different reasons. The move has obviously been very good for her, as it has, I believe, for Dawn as well, since I don't think she's had a point guard on the roster like Tehina since Harris.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve got good news and bad news.
The good? SC smokes Notre Dame!
The bad? SC smokes Notre Dame!:rolleyes:
Clearly “The reports of SC’s decline have been greatly exaggerated!” I’ve been pretty critical of all the pundits who are saying Dawn will have to step back and regroup now that she lost Boston and three other of her top line players. I think this SC team is better than they were last year! Those people who were looking forward to a slightly less menacing presence at the top of the SEC need to reevaluate quickly!
I realize ND is still missing their stud leader in Miles but let me tell you, they have another stud in Hidalgo, who merely produced 31, 4, 3, 3 in her first game against one of the best teams in the country! So, no tears for ND but perhaps some concern for the (at least slightly) unexpected juggernaut that is South Carolina! Kim better be paying attention because her road to a repeat suddenly looks waaaay more difficult! In addition, those who are savoring thoughts of another possible undefeated season at UConn may need to reevaluate the likelihood of that happening. Not that it can’t but only that it may he a bit more difficult to accomplish such a feat!
Finally, it seems everywhere you look these days, you find truly great players scattered around the country! JuJu just made her debut at USC and led the 21 ranked Trojans to an upset over the #7 Buckeyes. Iit’s getting scary out there!

Reaction Score
Not sure about them being a better shooting team. PaoPao is a great shooter but as a team they were 31% from 3 and under 70% from the free throw line. Still might be a pain point for them. They are definitely playing a faster pace and will be a better team offensively in terms of first shot. They are very well constructed this year so there won't be too many bad match ups for them.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Good think Duke won handily earlier, cuz @triaddukefan is probably being caused some pain by what Va Tech is doing to High Point. That's the good and the bad about having so many teams to root for. Some are gonna win, some are gonna lose on any given day.

Reaction Score
Well, the SC ND game was an eye opener for me, I thought ND would upset SC. I knew Cardoso would be a handful but the Freshman PG was amazing. They looked FF or even NC capable to me.
LOL. Accessed a 1:54 YouTube video of USC's 29-point pummeling of ND. Low and behold, every single second showed a Notre Dame score, rebound or steal. What's that about (I'm wondering)? Well, at the end I realize the video was "ACC Highlights".

Highlights?

Reaction Score
I also didn't really follow the hype around Ohio State and well yeah.

Ohio State started off rough last season and finished strong. Not to mention, much different roster than last year with Mikesell graduating. Outside shooting from 3 may be a challenge this season.

Another thing to consider is that the team also has to adjust to the new rules. For example McMahon was tagged with two offensive fouls, which likely wouldn't have been called against her last season. She has to adjust her style of play and that's going to take time.

Reaction Score
Ohio State started off rough last season and finished strong. Not to mention, much different roster than last year with Mikesell graduating. Outside shooting from 3 may be a challenge this season.

Another thing to consider is that the team also has to adjust to the new rules. For example McMahon was tagged with two offensive fouls, which likely wouldn't have been called against her last season. She has to adjust her style of play and that's going to take time.
Starting 19-0 and being ranked 2 in the country is starting rough?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well this is surprising. Jeff Judkins was the head coach at BYU for 20+ years. I assumed he retired after leaving there at the end of last season. He didn't. He's now an assistant coach at Utah. Huh.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Good think Duke won handily earlier, cuz @triaddukefan is probably being caused some pain by what Va Tech is doing to High Point. That's the good and the bad about having so many teams to root for. Some are gonna win, some are gonna lose on any given day.

20231001_001123.jpg

We kept them under 100. No one scores 100 on my Panthers, except for UConn in 2021.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Mark Campbell's debut at TCU, got a nice little 30 pt/11 rebound game from Arizona transfer Maddie Conner. TCU beat Oral Roberts by 20.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom