Interesting Op Piece by Sherri Coale | The Boneyard

Interesting Op Piece by Sherri Coale

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"Actually, nobody owes you crap." That's what the bumper sticker on the otherwise nondescript Geo Prism in front of me read. I laughed out loud."

"An athlete on a team doesn't get to play in games because he participates in practice; he gets to play in games because when he participates in practice he plays better than the other guys. It's really not very complicated."

LINK

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks for finding and sharing Sherri's words. I enjoy her writing and completely agree with her thoughts on Aaron Rodgers.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
"
"An athlete on a team doesn't get to play in games because he participates in practice; he gets to play in games because when he participates in practice he plays better than the other guys. It's really not very complicated."
Actually, it's not that simple. I am speaking as a former coach. There are some athletes who perform much better in games than they do in practice. It is very frustrating for a coach, but it does in fact happen. If you don't put in a player just because he doesn't practice well, are you penalizing the player or the team? It is one of the more difficult decisions in coaching. So, for me anyway, it WAS complicated.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
"Guys who spend their time worrying about doing things right rarely have time to worry about what they're owed."

When I read this line I immediately thought of Kelly. Just the impression I get of the kid.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Actually, it's not that simple. I am speaking as a former coach. There are some athletes who perform much better in games than they do in practice. It is very frustrating for a coach, but it does in fact happen. If you don't put in a player just because he doesn't practice well, are you penalizing the player or the team? It is one of the more difficult decisions in coaching. So, for me anyway, it WAS complicated.
This is true. Some athletes do better in practice than in a game, and vice versa. I could be wrong, but I think Jerry Rice was like that. Incredibly hard worker, had an independent workout/fitness routine that was borderline insane, but dropped balls in practice that he ALWAYS made when the lights were on.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Cough, Willnett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul