Interesting Nurse and Hartley comparison | The Boneyard

Interesting Nurse and Hartley comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller's blog today:

Time with family just what UConn's Jefferson needed

...NURSE CONTINUES TO SHINE

In the take it for what it is worth department, after 10 games as a freshman Bria Hartley had 137 points. Yesterday was Kia Nurse's 10th game at UConn and she also has 137 points.

Obviously they are playing with different teammates and against different teams but it is interesting to compare stats and see how the points are being accounted for.

First of all, Hartley played five more minutes per game than Nurse and attempted 15 more shots. Nurse has the edge is FG percentage (57.1 to 49.5) and assist/turnover ratio (38/15 for Nurse, 29/19 for Hartley). Hartley attempted 12 more 3-pointers and made four more. The biggest difference is at the free-throw line as Nurse has attempted nearly twice as many foul shots but she is shooting just 64 percent from the line while Hartley was at a sizzling 86.4 percent at this point in her career.

I did some research on best scoring starts through 10 games but forget to include Jen Rizzotti on the list. Although I know Rizzotti had 96 points in her first eight games thanks to some previous research I did, I don't have her 10-game numbers. But here are the numbers of some prominent UConn stars both then and now.

Breanna Stewart (12-13) 169Maya Moore (07-08) 165
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (11-12) 158Rebecca Lobo (91-92) 143
Bria Hartley (10-11) 137
Kia Nurse (14-15) 137Nykesha Sales (94-95) 134
Svet Abrosimova (97-98) 131
Shea Ralph (96-97) 130

[LINK] to complete article

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Wow, that's pretty good company to be in. If she has a career anywhere near those other five I'd be very happy.

I'd say we got the steal of the freshman class with Nurse...

Reaction Score
...I'd say we got the steal of the freshman class with Nurse...

I agree. I can't figure out why she wasn't more competitively recruited. She's gonna be a UConn star for sure.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I agree. I can't figure out why she wasn't more competitively recruited. She's gonna be a UConn star for sure.
Off the radars of the major recruiting services but Geno's radar is much more powerful.... it can detect prospects as far away as Russia. ;)

Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller's blog today:

Time with family just what UConn's Jefferson needed

...NURSE CONTINUES TO SHINE

In the take it for what it is worth department, after 10 games as a freshman Bria Hartley had 137 points. Yesterday was Kia Nurse's 10th game at UConn and she also has 137 points.

Obviously they are playing with different teammates and against different teams but it is interesting to compare stats and see how the points are being accounted for.

First of all, Hartley played five more minutes per game than Nurse and attempted 15 more shots. Nurse has the edge is FG percentage (57.1 to 49.5) and assist/turnover ratio (38/15 for Nurse, 29/19 for Hartley). Hartley attempted 12 more 3-pointers and made four more. The biggest difference is at the free-throw line as Nurse has attempted nearly twice as many foul shots but she is shooting just 64 percent from the line while Hartley was at a sizzling 86.4 percent at this point in her career.

I did some research on best scoring starts through 10 games but forget to include Jen Rizzotti on the list. Although I know Rizzotti had 96 points in her first eight games thanks to some previous research I did, I don't have her 10-game numbers. But here are the numbers of some prominent UConn stars both then and now.

Breanna Stewart (12-13) 169Maya Moore (07-08) 165
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (11-12) 158Rebecca Lobo (91-92) 143
Bria Hartley (10-11) 137
Kia Nurse (14-15) 137Nykesha Sales (94-95) 134
Svet Abrosimova (97-98) 131
Shea Ralph (96-97) 130

[LINK] to complete article
Very revealing, thanks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Off the radars of the major recruiting services but Geno's radar is much more powerful.... it can detect prospects as far away as Russia. ;)
Uconn actually thought she was a 2015 recruit initially so there might have been some misinformation out there. Uconn got in rather late to the party as a few schools had been recruiting her much earlier. It is always tough to know exactly what is going on with foreign players and while Canada is a neighbor it is a different school system and kids have different options.

Reaction Score
Uconn actually thought she was a 2015 recruit initially so there might have been some misinformation out there. Uconn got in rather late to the party as a few schools had been recruiting her much earlier. It is always tough to know exactly what is going on with foreign players and while Canada is a neighbor it is a different school system and kids have different options.

Yes, I know a lot of Canadians who went to high school for 5 years It's quite common and could have led to the confusion.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Nurse imo could be one of the all time greats at UConn. Her experience on an international level has been shining. Its almost like she is playing down a notch playing against college teams. She is that good. She still has areas where she can improve but right now she is far better then most guards in the country. Her leadership experience is shining right now. Shes tuff and has guts and I love kids with guts. ESPN watchers are in for a surprise tomorrow nite.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I cannot recall a WBB player who, as a freshman on a high-level college team, was able to add so much at both ends of the floor. Anyone? Well, I guess Stewie wasn't too shabby. Even so, it might be close. Maya? DT?

Kia is so impressive in an interview as well. She comes across as extremely bright, thoughtful, and confident. Tough to find fault with that.

Last edited:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Stewie? I mean, I love Nurse, but Stewie was MOP of the Final Four as a freshman. And scored the most points through her first 10 games of any UConn player, ever.

Or Maya, who was named an All-American as a freshman. Or Tamika Catchings. She was pretty unbelievable as a freshman. Or Katie Smith (rewatch the Ohio State-Texas Tech final, she was amazing).

I mean, still really good company to be in.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Agreed! I edited my post while you were replying. We were thinking the same things.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya was a consensus AA as a frosh and a top-2 vote-getter for AP POY. On defense, her blocks and rebounding were spectacular, but Kia's individual defense may be better.

I'm not sure how good Kia will be over 4 years, but she could surpass Rene and maybe even Sue. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom