Interesting List: Top 33 Teams that Didn't Win the Tournament | The Boneyard

Interesting List: Top 33 Teams that Didn't Win the Tournament

Reaction Score
At the Sporting News

I say interesting because, of the 33 teams, I think UConn is affected in quite a few.

Obviously, best team NOT to win in 1999 ? Duke.

Oddly, they think the best team not to win in 1995 was Arkansas. I'd say that under mines their credibility some. UConn managed to hang 20 more points on UCLA than did Arkansas. Maybe UCLA was the best team that year. I'm about 99.9% confident that in a UConn / Arkansas matchup, I'm taking UConn every single time.

Another odd one is Pitt as the best team not to win in 2009. Not one of the other final four teams, but perpetual loser Pitt. The team that lost to an 11 seed, Nova, in the Elite Eight and WVU in the BET. Granted, UConn lost both games to Pitt that year, but that was more of a matchup thing and a conference rivalry than objective evidence of which team was better. Fact is, UConn was probably THE best team in the country until Dyson got hurt. I'd put up the drubbing of Louisville on their home court, 68-51 as evidence.

Other UConn tidbits - best team not to win in 2998 ? UNC. Just confirming UConn's bad luck in the draw in previous years. Best team not to win in 2014 - Wichita St. Best team not to win in 2004 ? St. Joes. Ah, the vastly overhyped Jameer Nelson / Delonte West team. LOL! I doubt very seriously they were actually the 2nd best team that year. Similarly, you'll be shocked to find out the vastly overrated Mark Macon team when he was a freshman was the best team to not win that year. Please! Best team not to win in 2011 - Ohio State.

Reaction Score
At the Sporting News

I say interesting because, of the 33 teams, I think UConn is affected in quite a few.

Oddly, they think the best team not to win in 1995 was Arkansas. I'd say that under mines their credibility some. UConn managed to hang 20 more points on UCLA than did Arkansas. Maybe UCLA was the best team that year. I'm about 99.9% confident that in a UConn / Arkansas matchup, I'm taking UConn every single time.

Another odd one is Pitt as the best team not to win in 2009. Not one of the other final four teams, but perpetual loser Pitt. The team that lost to an 11 seed, Nova, in the Elite Eight and WVU in the BET. Granted, UConn lost both games to Pitt that year, but that was more of a matchup thing and a conference rivalry than objective evidence of which team was better. Fact is, UConn was probably THE best team in the country until Dyson got hurt. I'd put up the drubbing of Louisville on their home court, 68-51 as evidence.

Other UConn tidbits - best team not to win in 2998 ? UNC. Just confirming UConn's bad luck in the draw in previous years. Best team not to win in 2014 - Wichita St. Best team not to win in 2004 ? St. Joes. Ah, the vastly overhyped Jameer Nelson / Delonte West team. LOL! I doubt very seriously they were actually the 2nd best team that year. Similarly, you'll be shocked to find out the vastly overrated Mark Macon team when he was a freshman was the best team to not win that year. Please! Best team not to win in 2011 - Ohio State.

Are you a time-traveler?

Reaction Score
The three best teams to not win the tournament in my mind were UNLV in '91, Kentucky two years ago and Duke in '99. I have a hard time going much further than that, although I've always thought very highly of both UConn and UMass' 1996 teams. Both were really, really, really good.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Good article.

I felt like Uconn in 95 was the best team we ever had not to win it all. 96 is right there too.
'96 was better IMO. If Ricky stays healthy we meet UK in the final, and we're currently sitting on 5 nattys.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
At the Sporting News

Nova was a 3 seed in 2009.

But I agree that with Dyson we have 5 banners.

the Q

Reaction Score
I hate this BS about 2011-2012 UNC.

Kansas owned that game.

and UNC should've lost to Ohio. A cheap eye poke that should've stopped play was the only reason they were even still in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Internally, my vote is for the '06 team. The roster was spectacular and experienced with a #1 seed - Marcus Williams, Rudy Gay, Jeff Adrien, Josh Boone, Rashad Anderson, Hilton Armstong plus more. It was almost too much for one team. We struggled against U of Washington (I'm too lazy to look up their star - but remember him being awesome in this game and a terrific pro but his career was cut short due to injury). And then we got beat by Mason. Should've have been a NC with that roster.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Internally, my vote is for the '06 team. The roster was spectacular and experienced with a #1 seed - Marcus Williams, Rudy Gay, Jeff Adrien, Josh Boone, Rashad Anderson, Hilton Armstong plus more. It was almost too much for one team. We struggled against U of Washington (I'm too lazy to look up their star - but remember him being awesome in this game and a terrific pro but his career was cut short due to injury). And then we got beat by Mason. Should've have been a NC with that roster.
Only one ball-handler, tho. 2006 is it if AJ's available, but he wasn't.

1996 & 2009 were felled by injuries. 2006 was internally broken just enough to be vulnerable, and same with 1994, while 1990, 95 and 2002 maxxed themselves out but just weren't quite good enough.

the Q

Reaction Score

Brandon Roy.

He was amazing.

that team is just so disappointing.

Reaction Score

1996 & 2009 were felled by injuries. 2006 was internally broken just enough to be vulnerable, and same with 1994, while 1990, 95 and 2002 maxxed themselves out but just weren't quite good enough.

Good call with Price. I feel like this team more than any other reminds me of modern day Kentucky. Built to win - a loaded roster - but the elite guys were already looking forward to the NBA instead of focusing on the present. I was in the car on a trip listening to the Albany game...thinking that we're going to be the first team to lose to a #16 seed and scratching my head at how this could be possible.

Reaction Score
The three best teams to not win the tournament in my mind were UNLV in '91, Kentucky two years ago and Duke in '99. I have a hard time going much further than that, although I've always thought very highly of both UConn and UMass' 1996 teams. Both were really, really, really good.
I gotta go with the 1985 Georgetown team. Considering that for Nova to win that game they had to shoot about 80% in the second half, it's no mistake that's one of the biggest upsets of all time. I suppose I might give the nod to UNLV '91 considering their NBA chops, but the '85 Hoyas were awfully good.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Good article.

I felt like Uconn in 95 was the best team we ever had not to win it all. 96 is right there too.

96 was IMO or should have been.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I gotta go with the 1985 Georgetown team. Considering that for Nova to win that game they had to shoot about 80% in the second half, it's no mistake that's one of the biggest upsets of all time. I suppose I might give the nod to UNLV '91 considering their NBA chops, but the '85 Hoyas were awfully good.

Still the greatest upset in NCAA history.

Reaction Score
I honestly think the 1995 team was probably in the top 3-4 UConn teams ever and lost the only matchup that was bad for them in UCLA. As for 1999 Duke, I guess they were the best team not to win that year but it’s sort of irrelevant since that UConn team was at worst their equal and Ivthink it was superior. The only position where Duke was better was the 5 and Calhoun figured out how to neutralize their guy. Our backcourt was superior. Hamilton was better than anyone they had.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Still the greatest upset in NCAA history.
Texas Western over Kensucky
Only because Nova and Gtown played each other twice before that season and knew each other so that is a built in advantage for the underdog
TW came from nowhere and absolutely shocked the world

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I honestly think the 1995 team was probably in the top 3-4 UConn teams ever and lost the only matchup that was bad for them in UCLA. As for 1999 Duke, I guess they were the best team not to win that year but it’s sort of irrelevant since that UConn team was at worst their equal and Ivthink it was superior. The only position where Duke was better was the 5 and Calhoun figured out how to neutralize their guy. Our backcourt was superior. Hamilton was better than anyone they had.
Yeah that 1995 had it all but met the wrong team at the wrong time. I guess same could be said about the 2006 team vs GM yet the 95 team played a real good game but UCLA played like they hadn't all year. The 06 team just plain sucked vs GM

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Duke, George Mason and Florida are up there but I don't know if I have ever been as depressed after a Uconn loss as I was after that Mississippi State game.
Yup. I honestly believed that we'd never get there after that game – that Calhoun would peak as a good-not-great coach who couldn't win the big one.

Until these past two years that really was the worst I'd ever felt as a UConn fan (I'm 41 and my memory starts with the Earl Kelley era).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Duke, George Mason and Florida are up there but I don't know if I have ever been as depressed after a Uconn loss as I was after that Mississippi State game. Crushing.....that was a truly great Husky team.

We were 30-2 and 17-1 in the Big East and we just blew teams out ALL year.

we were never out of top 10 for whole season.

Reaction Score
Duke, George Mason and Florida are up there but I don't know if I have ever been as depressed after a Uconn loss as I was after that Mississippi State game. Crushing.....that was a truly great Husky team.

At that time my buddy and I lived in an apartment that was the hang out/drink/get laid party place for us and all of our friends. Watched that game and ended up smashing our floor model television with a sledgehammer....was drunk and disgusted. That team, for sure, was loaded and should have gone all of the way

Reaction Score
We were 30-2 and 17-1 in the Big East and we just blew teams out ALL year.

we were never out of top 10 for whole season.

There was not a doubt in my mind we were headed to the FF. Great team, dominant, fun to watch etc. And lose to Mississippi State?! Brutal.

Then made worse by fact UMess and Cuse made it to FF after we lost....

A depressing month....

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
There was not a doubt in my mind we were headed to the FF. Great team, dominant, fun to watch etc. And lose to Mississippi State?! Brutal.

Then made worse by fact UMess and Cuse made it to FF after we lost....

A depressing month....
Misery loves company my friend. Still can't believe we lost to Mississippi State too in the very the next game. We were so much more talented and were fresh off of destroying Stephon Marbury and Georgia Tech.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

I came back to this thread thinking of 2006 and how deficient the article was for not putting this in the top 33. But what you've written is on the money all the way around and has elevated all the comments afterward. More than anything, it makes me grateful to have witnessed and to be able to remember each of these years. We have been blessed as a fanbase.

I particularly like that you gave recognition to how much Freshman Ricky's injury mattered against MSU.

MY permanent imagining is that Freshman Adrien was just as essential and JC erred in not 'relying' on him to beat George Mason by having him do what they did to us. He was built like their players and it would have been fighting fire with fire, necessary for that game to get to the damn F4.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
'95, '06 and '96

I mean '95 was a machine and only a Toby Bailey career game from winning #1. '06 was a tremendous team but as pointed out by Matrim they needed another ball handler. They were so dominant down low and Williams had a tremendous year, "if" AJ was on that team would they have been the best ever in Storrs? '96 Ricky vs Adonal Foyle was a killer (shouldn't have been in the game lol) and then not only is Sheffers hammy bothering him the 2 guards form the Bulldogs have their career games.

Crazy stuff happens in the NCAA tourney that's what makes it so fun. Of course you need to be there to have fun :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom