Interesting Geno Quote Re WCBB and UConn In It | The Boneyard

Interesting Geno Quote Re WCBB and UConn In It

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Auriemma, when asked if he's made women's college basketball a better sport, said that's best left to others to answer. He then went on to say, "We're acutely aware of UConn's impact on college basketball since 1995. We know within our building and in our world what we've done and the impact we've had since 1995, where TV is today.
"We're the most constant. Others have come and gone, and some are just coming now. And I'm also aware we'll never get credit for certain segments of the women's basketball community. And I'm OK with that."

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=400609025

Seems it is a postgame quote. Wonder if Vandy coach's sniping had anything to do with this answer?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Only Geno can take. 9 time championship program and make it seem as if there is a lack of respect. He's very good!

Reaction Score
Love coach. He is aware of all of the slights and negative comments from outside our bubble at UConn. Some folks hate us because our program has been so successful for a number of years. Some folks will never accept our program, and coach is okay with that, like many of our fan base has accepted that fact. It is just crazy to think that after winning 9 NCAA titles in the WCBB, being a dominate program for 15-16 years, going to 7 Final Fours over the last 7 years, and other outstanding accomplishments, our Huskies (and coaching staff) still do not get the respect they deserves.

Reaction Score
Only crazy Uconn fans would say that the Uconn basketball programs do not get the respect they deserve.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Love coach. He is aware of all of the slights and negative comments from outside our bubble at UConn. Some folks hate us because our program has been so successful for a number of years. Some folks will never accept our program, and coach is okay with that, like many of our fan base has accepted that fact. It is just crazy to think that after winning 9 NCAA titles in the WCBB, being a dominate program for 15-16 years, going to 7 Final Fours over the last 7 years, and other outstanding accomplishments, our Huskies (and coaching staff) still do not get the respect they deserves.

I think the respect, both with other coaches, and the media, although still existent, is not as bad as with the men's game. Yes, UK has a plethora of good players, Duke has the rep, year in and year out (regardless if deserved), and KU and UNC are also always revered, and yet UCMBB is hardly ever considered a front runner. UC has had 4 'ships in the last 15 years, UK went 14 years b/w last two, but still doesn't get the respect it deserves.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"And I'm also aware we'll never get credit for certain segments of the women's basketball community" (from certain segments?)

I read this as a typo. I think he was referring to the Old Girls Club in wcbb. You know the ones that think wcbb coaching should be reserved for female coaches.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yes it should be "from" instead of "for" and yes, its the OGC he's probably referring to. Nuts, is what it is. But of course, other programs are furious that they don't get the respect due them, as was witnessed last year with the craziness of MMcG. So at least we have a legit claim now to not getting respect: we have Dangerfield!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"And I'm also aware we'll never get credit for certain segments of the women's basketball community" (from certain segments?)

I read this as a typo. I think he was referring to the Old Girls Club in wcbb. You know the ones that think wcbb coaching should be reserved for female coaches.
Exactly. He's still the mouthy upstart from Philly riding the coattails of the pioneers in wcbb to some of the old guard.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
topekaaces2sm.jpg
The "old guard" played a coaches game before the kick off media meeting for the SEC:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom