Interesting fact from Texas victory... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interesting fact from Texas victory...

Reaction Score
I am really, really worried. If WCBB goes back to the 20 minute half format, then 2 close-outs per game are eliminated. Whoa is UConn!!!!
Bags- I think it would be the exact opposite as the UConn conditioning would outlast the other teams and the runs would be even longer as we saw in past years.

Reaction Score
UT has a major advantage in recruiting in every sport. Texas as 1,442 public high schools. Compared to CT with 349 public high schools. And if you know Texans, they feel like Texas is the only state and it is tough to get a player to leave once any Texas school has offered specially UT.
Texas has cities bigger than our whole state. The DFW metro area is made up of a bunch (8?) of counties that total twice the size and population of Connecticut.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Enjoyed the game, even in a losing effort.

UConn just does more of the little things better than any team in women's basketball.

One thing UConn doesn't get enough credit for is their defense. I haven't looked at all the stats, but I don't think UConn allowed Texas any fastbreak points. Texas is great in transition, and it's a huge part of our offense. Perhaps UConn sacrificed sending more players to crash the boards (and content to lose the rebounding battle) because the strategy was to get back on defense quickly and prevent any fastbreak baskets. For Texas, it was great that we were very good offensively despite not scoring much (if any) in transition. Typically, we struggle in a half-court offense, and rely on easy fastbreak points every game.

dannykuconn

Cheerman of Board
Reaction Score
Texas has cities bigger than our whole state. The DFW metro area is made up of a bunch (8?) of counties that total twice the size and population of Connecticut.
When they had their capitol building built they didn't have the money they needed. They came up with a deal to trade land for a cattle farm and that cattle ranch (XIT Ranch) was bigger then the size of Connecticut. When I go to all the games I sightsee and during the tour that was what the tour guide said. Naturally when I heard the word Connecticut I got LOUD. Since then the ranch was subdivided, (XIT Ranch - Wikipedia )
26756789_1673157216075865_1361713265541168258_o.jpg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Of course, the corollary here is that Texas dominated the beginning of each quarter. Why was that? Because they are more talented but less durable? The adrenalin factor from the crowd? Because their starters couldn't go the whole quarter, but were better for as long as they could go?

This was most obvious in the first quarter. I think the combination of Texas having a defensive approach (not to mention a level of rebounding strength) that UConn needed to adjust to, and the crowd support factor, caused the first 5-6 minutes to go as they did. I'm not exactly sure when Texas had their 10-point lead (probably sometime in the early second quarter), but from that point in the game, UConn "won" by 13 points. That is not too different from what most of us expected before the game started.

BTW, Mississippi State last year followed a similar pattern. They took a 14-point lead early in the second quarter, and then were outplayed by 12 points for the rest of the game. The two games were really very similar.
One of the main differences was the free throw shooting. UCONN missed an unusually large amount of free throws against MS but only two against Texas. If their free throw accuracy against Texas had been the same as it was against MS, UCONN would have lost that game also.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Of course, the corollary here is that Texas dominated the beginning of each quarter. Why was that? Because they are more talented but less durable? The adrenalin factor from the crowd? Because their starters couldn't go the whole quarter, but were better for as long as they could go?

This was most obvious in the first quarter. I think the combination of Texas having a defensive approach (not to mention a level of rebounding strength) that UConn needed to adjust to, and the crowd support factor, caused the first 5-6 minutes to go as they did. I'm not exactly sure when Texas had their 10-point lead (probably sometime in the early second quarter), but from that point in the game, UConn "won" by 13 points. That is not too different from what most of us expected before the game started.

BTW, Mississippi State last year followed a similar pattern. They took a 14-point lead early in the second quarter, and then were outplayed by 12 points for the rest of the game. The two games were really very similar.
Except for that inconsequential W/L thing. ;)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
You may have heard I was recently in Texas. While there I visited the state capital and took the tour. The tour guide explained that when Texas decided to build their capital be sold off some land to pay for it (the only capitol funded that way).

The land was sold to a syndicate from Chicago who turned it into a ranch called the XIT Ranch.

The tour guide explained that the ranch was roughly the size of Connecticut.

So they not only have cities with as many people as Connecticut they had a ranch as big as Connecticut. (If has subsequently been sold off in pieces.)

Ooops, I see Danny beat me to it.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
One of the main differences was the free throw shooting. UCONN missed an unusually large amount of free throws against MS but only two against Texas. If their free throw accuracy against Texas had been the same as it was against MS, UCONN would have lost that game also.

And if UConn shot as well against MS State as we had against Texas, who knows what would have happened. But we'd have at least a 112 game win streak.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Where the HELL did Mississippi State come from! The showed up on the scene like BAM!

I know, it makes you scratch your head doesn't it. One year they get embarrassed, and sent home from the tournament by UConn via a 65 point blowout. The very next year, they bounce back, return the favor by inflicting a measure of "revenge" :eek: on the Huskies by knocking them out of the tournament on an overtime buzzer beater (a stake right through the heart), then they begin the next season 19-0. Their closest MOV this season was a 3 point win over Oklahoma State 79-76 in Starkville. The MOV in the rest of their wins were by a comfortable margin.

Like it or not, at some point, you're going to have to deal with Mississippi State in the tournament. Right now, they're clicking on all cylinders. They've got a huge game this Sunday (1/21) @ #6 Tennessee - 3:0o pm est ESPN2. That is a must see game, #3 vs #6. That game will follow UConn's game at 1:00 pm est vs Temple. ESPN2.

Right now, the Bulldogs are ranked #3 in the top 25, and looking point blank at a #1 seed in the tournament. They might be sent home before it's over, but they're not going down easy. Somebody is going to have to figure out how to stop their 6'7" post player Teaira McCowan (20.9ppg/12.9rpg) who has shed her cocoon like a butterfly, and is posting double-doubles nightly as easy as you please. Their second leading scorer is Victoria Vivians averaging 19.3ppg. It's going to be a scramble for the top 8 seeds this year (musical chairs?). Everyone can't be a one seed. It would not surprise me if UConn and Mississippi State met again in the post season. It would be an interesting match up.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I know, it makes you scratch your head doesn't it. One year they get embarrassed, and sent home from the tournament by UConn via a 65 point blowout. The very next year, they bounce back, return the favor by inflicting a measure of "revenge" :eek: on the Huskies by knocking them out of the tournament on an overtime buzzer beater (a stake right through the heart), then they begin the next season 19-0. Their closest MOV this season was a 3 point win over Oklahoma State 79-76 in Starkville. The MOV in the rest of their wins were by a comfortable margin.

Like it or not, at some point, you're going to have to deal with Mississippi State in the tournament. Right now, they're clicking on all cylinders. They've got a huge game this Sunday (1/21) @ #6 Tennessee - 3:0o pm est ESPN2. That is a must see game, #3 vs #6. That game will follow UConn's game at 1:00 pm est vs Temple. ESPN2.

Right now, the Bulldogs are ranked #3 in the top 25, and looking point blank at a #1 seed in the tournament. They might be sent home before it's over, but they're not going down easy. Somebody is going to have to figure out how to stop their 6'7" post player Teaira McCowan (20.9ppg/12.9rpg) who has shed her cocoon like a butterfly, and is posting double-doubles nightly as easy as you please. Their second leading scorer is Victoria Vivians averaging 19.3ppg. It's going to be a scramble for the top 8 seeds this year (musical chairs?). Everyone can't be a one seed. It would not surprise me if UConn and Mississippi State met again in the post season. It would be an interesting match up.
I think McCowan is less like a butterfly,and more like Mothra! She is tough!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Some posters on here were complaining about what they perceived to be a foul disparity as called by the officials. From the official stats:

The Official Website of the University of Texas Athletics

UConn whistled for 17 fouls; Texas whistled for 18 fouls. Yet, UConn went to the free line 19 times while Texas only went to the charity stripe 14 times.

UConn was more aggressive driving to basket, so most of Texas' fouls were when UConn was in the act of shooting; Texas, IMO, did not attack the basket as much. It's been a common theme this year for Texas to go to the free throw line significantly less than its opponent. We've actually shot free throws very well this season; unfortunately, two of our best free throw shooters each only went 2-4 at the line.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think McCowan is less like a butterfly,and more like Mothra! She is tough!

Good one!! LOL! You're right. Mothra did have more of a "rough edge" to it. And it did not get along well with others either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom