Interesting fact from Texas victory... | The Boneyard

Interesting fact from Texas victory...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Crystal vs Texas.jpeg

One interesting statistic from last night's victory is UConn's runs to close out each of the four quarters. For example, in the final three minutes of the 1st period, UConn made a 9-2 run to cut the Texas lead to 3 points. Their push in the last 2 minutes, to close out the first half, was even better at 10-1. From down 8 points, the Huskies took a 1 point lead. ;)

The end of the 3rd period saw the same push, with UConn outscoring the Longhorns 7-4 to raise the lead to 6 pts. The game ended in similar fashion with a UConn mini-run of 6-3 to stretch the final margin to 4 points.

Taken together, UConn's edge in the final 3-4 minutes of each period adds up to a 32-10 advantage. To be sure, Texas had their runs as well, but a Huskies' trademark is conditioning and tenacity. It really shows in final moments of each period. :cool:

Go Huskies..!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
View attachment 27809

One interesting statistic from last night's victory is UConn's runs to close out each of the four quarters. For example, in the final three minutes of the 1st period, UConn made a 9-2 run to cut the Texas lead to 3 points. Their push in the last 2 minutes, to close out the first half, was even better at 10-1. From down 8 points, the Huskies took a 1 point lead. ;)

The end of the 3rd period saw the same push, with UConn outscoring the Longhorns 7-4 to raise the lead to 6 pts. The game ended in similar fashion with a UConn mini-run of 6-3 to stretch the final margin to 4 points.

Taken together, UConn's edge in the final 3-4 minutes of each period adds up to a 32-10 advantage. To be sure, Texas had their runs as well, but a Huskies' trademark is conditioning and tenacity. It really shows in final moments of each period. :cool:

Go Huskies..!!

As always, great stuff David.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
View attachment 27809

Go Huskies..!!

This would show that even without the bench, the Uconn players were less tired at the end of each quarter. Someone mentioned in another thread that the Huskies were exhausted because of playing only six. Well they were still not as tired as Texas playing 9.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure the spurts at the end of the Quarters were do to conditioning. More likely to 2 factors:
Determination and Azura Stevens. Gabby, and Kia and Danger are 3 of the toughest mentally and physically players on any team--Along with Z, KLS and Collier we are blessed to have them.

Thanks David..

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Of course, the corollary here is that Texas dominated the beginning of each quarter. Why was that? Because they are more talented but less durable? The adrenalin factor from the crowd? Because their starters couldn't go the whole quarter, but were better for as long as they could go?

This was most obvious in the first quarter. I think the combination of Texas having a defensive approach (not to mention a level of rebounding strength) that UConn needed to adjust to, and the crowd support factor, caused the first 5-6 minutes to go as they did. I'm not exactly sure when Texas had their 10-point lead (probably sometime in the early second quarter), but from that point in the game, UConn "won" by 13 points. That is not too different from what most of us expected before the game started.

BTW, Mississippi State last year followed a similar pattern. They took a 14-point lead early in the second quarter, and then were outplayed by 12 points for the rest of the game. The two games were really very similar.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Because they are more talented but less durable?

I've seen a few mentions in various threads about Texas perhaps having more talent than UConn. At the same time there are threads about UConn having 6 first team All-Americans and the top 6 players in the country. How would it be possible for any team to have more talent if UConn has the best 6 players? Seems to be a large disconnect going on here.

Reaction Score
I've seen a few mentions in various threads about Texas perhaps having more talent than UConn. At the same time there are threads about UConn having 6 first team All-Americans and the top 6 players in the country. How would it be possible for any team to have more talent if UConn has the best 6 players? Seems to be a large disconnect going on here.
UConn doesn't have the top six players in the country. KLS is likely one of the six best players in the country, but that's about it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have the top six players in the country. KLS is likely one of the six best players in the country, but that's about it.

I agree with you, but some UConn fans appear to sincerely believe they have the top 6.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
View attachment 27809

Go Huskies..!!

Thanks David. That is the kind of play (and stats) that will almost guarantee wins for the Huskies, and put a smile on the staff's faces. The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture of McCarty and Dangerfield is: there are two of the best guards in WCBB. BOTH of them will have jobs (WNBA) waiting for them upon graduation. After making a few $$$ playing professionally, the opportunity to stay in basketball in some fashion will no doubt be available to them if they wish. They sure are fun to watch. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree with you, but some UConn fans appear to sincerely believe they have the top 6.

You're right! Some UConn fans do believe this, but not ALL of us. Some of us are more realistic in our assessment of our team. We don't care whether they are the "top 6" or not. We would not trade any of them for any other player in WCBB. We like these 6. These are our girls!!! We believe in these 6, and we're extremely confident that these 6 will go into the NCAA tournament (with UConn Nation right behind them all the way) and win it all this year. I really really like our chances in 2018! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Wait a minute! Didn’t Karen Aston just say that UConn gets all the top players? Are you suggesting that Aston’s remarks were merely hyperbole? :oops:

The alternative is that Karen can't coach well enough, so maybe that's what she wants to believe.:D

To me it looked like Texas has switched to recruiting better athletes. The players that they have now are much more athletic than the players they had when we beat them by 50 in the tournament a few years ago and they are comfortable playing at a higher speed. If they can continue to improve and play consistently like they did last night, they will be a force in the tournament and possibly for years to come.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The alternative is that Karen can't coach well enough, so maybe that's what she wants to believe.:D

To me it looked like Texas has switched to recruiting better athletes. The players that they have now are much more athletic than the players they had when we beat them by 50 in the tournament a few years ago and they are comfortable playing at a higher speed. If they can continue to improve and play consistently like they did last night, they will be a force in the tournament and possibly for years to come.

You're right!! Like Mississippi State, they've arrived, and they aren't going away anytime soon.

Reaction Score
This would show that even without the bench, the Uconn players were less tired at the end of each quarter. Someone mentioned in another thread that the Huskies were exhausted because of playing only six. Well they were still not as tired as Texas playing 9.
All true. But in the NCAA tournament, once a team enters the round of 16, it is difficult to maintain that energy game after game, with little rest in between. In addition, if UCONN only plays six, they are easier to scout.

Reaction Score
It was really fun to watch the match up of Brooke and Crystal. They are two tough little players.

I don't know why UConn gets the runs at the end of quarters. Just digging deep, or maybe Texas nerves came into play. I don't see the difference in conditioning that so any Boneyarders seem to see. Our posts probably get winded the most, because they are really big people. But I didn't see any particular exhaustion in our guards. Brooke played all 40 and still seemed raring to go at the end.

Reaction Score
It was really fun to watch the match up of Brooke and Crystal. They are two tough little players.

I don't know why UConn gets the runs at the end of quarters. Just digging deep, or maybe Texas nerves came into play. I don't see the difference in conditioning that so any Boneyarders seem to see. Our posts probably get winded the most, because they are really big people. But I didn't see any particular exhaustion in our guards. Brooke played all 40 and still seemed raring to go at the end.
There is a difference in conditioning. UConn goes six deep even with foul trouble. Do you think Texas could do that? If Texas could use six players instead of the 8-9-10 or whatever they used the other night, UConn wins by 20. That's UConn's m.o. against good teams that hang around in the second half: wait until they are forced to sub in less talented players then drop the hammer, and by the next TV TO you're suddenly down 23 wondering if anyone caught the license plate of the truck that just hit you. After the 2015 title game, Muffet said they kept waiting for UConn to sub in order to make a run, but UConn never did, and that was the difference (in her opinion).

Reaction Score
You're right!! Like Mississippi State, they've arrived, and they aren't going away anytime soon.
Where the HELL did Mississippi State come from! The showed up on the scene like BAM!

Reaction Score
I am really, really worried. If WCBB goes back to the 20 minute half format, then 2 close-outs per game are eliminated. Whoa is UConn!!!!

Yep, the MEN use 20 minute halves--it seems only proper and fitting that the Women not deviate too far afield from the MEN. Certainly the 10 minute quarters ONLY favors UCoNN in any game. If the TX game were played by MEN's rules Tx would have Won by 40. Just saying (Heee Hee hee).
(let the poison arrows fly).

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

UT has a major advantage in recruiting in every sport. Texas as 1,442 public high schools. Compared to CT with 349 public high schools. And if you know Texans, they feel like Texas is the only state and it is tough to get a player to leave once any Texas school has offered specially UT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom