Interesting article on the addition of Memphis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interesting article on the addition of Memphis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Syracuse and Pitt are bowl poison too. I have no idea how the new schools will travel. My bigger point is that bowls are getting shaved off and I think may be obsolete in the not too distant future. Making an expansion plan around bowls is like Xerox running their copier business in the 90's in order to sell more ink. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but was fatal in the long-term.

I think TV is the only thing that should have mattered, which leads me to think Temple or UMass would have been much better choices for expansion. I am confident that the Big East will have fair access to any future playoff system, so in a post-bowl world the Big East will actually be on a more even playing field than they are now with WVU, Syracuse and Pitt. TV contracts are what will decide who wins and loses in the future, and the linked article did not focus on TV at all as a factor.

I agree TV is the driving force going forward with bowl games. And I think SMU, Houston, UCF and Boise are going to draw better in their markets and nationally than Pitt or SU. WVU is a better name program than any of the new teams.

But, TV contracts notwithstanding, a bowl does need to have people in the seats too. And the newest version of the BE is better suited for putting fans in seats than the last group.

I don't know how the new schools will travel either. But I know SMU will fill up a Dallas or Houston bowl. UCF and USF will fill up any Florida bowl. Memphis, Louisville and Cincy will travel well to Memphis. Rutger's and Uconn can fill up Yankee's stadium.

A couple of years further down the road adds Navy. They will sell well in a DC bowl or can fill up a San Diego or Florida bowl.

All the new markets added are way bigger than Syracuse and Morganstown and most are bigger than Pittsburgh.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Chin,

My point is, I don't know that there will be bowls in 10 years. The business model is terrible for the schools, and with all the TV deals getting cut and exposure during the regular season, guaranteeing $5k tickets for a bowl in east nowhere, Florida that is played at 5:30 in the afternoon on the Tuesday after Christmas seems less attractive. 6-7 bowls will be eliminated with the new 7 win rule, and if there is a playoff, I expect most of the rest will go away too, if not all of them. Making expansion decisions around bowls seems like a bad idea.

Reaction Score
As long as we are in a league with Memphis, Houston, San Diego State and Boise, all complaining will not stop. I don't care about the money, I care about our image and reputation. Navy, SMU and even UCF I can live with.

San Diego State has a 30% acceptance rate, what is your issue with them other than being jealous of their weather and large female population?

BTW the marketing department at UCF is requesting to use your stamp of approval in their brochures.

Reaction Score
Speaking of bowls. For the record, we've lost teams from Syracuse, Morganstown and Pittsburgh which host a grand total of zero bowl games in or near their cities.

We've gained teams from Memphis, Houston, Dallas, Orlando, San Diego and Boise. The first five cities all host bowl games.

Boise has a bowl game too.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
San Diego State has a 30% acceptance rate, what is your issue with them other than being jealous of their weather and large female population?

BTW the marketing department at UCF is requesting to use your stamp of approval in their brochures.

It is just slightly irregular to have San Diego State in the Big East. They are part of the string of CA "State" Universities, none of which are particularly high caliber (Long Beach, San Jose, etc.). US News rank is #164. It is probably the best of that group of schools (Cal Poly SLO may be better). Pretty similar to UCF I suppose, but I'd prefer no schools beyond the central time zone.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Chin,

My point is, I don't know that there will be bowls in 10 years. The business model is terrible for the schools, and with all the TV deals getting cut and exposure during the regular season, guaranteeing $5k tickets for a bowl in east nowhere, Florida that is played at 5:30 in the afternoon on the Tuesday after Christmas seems less attractive. 6-7 bowls will be eliminated with the new 7 win rule, and if there is a playoff, I expect most of the rest will go away too, if not all of them. Making expansion decisions around bowls seems like a bad idea.

The dumb part of all this is the lesser bowl are irrelevant. There's no money in them. 8 pay $750,00 or under and there's another 7 that pay $1.5 mil or under. By the time the ex[enses ar epaid and it goes into the conferene pool it's chicken feed. Some say its good for recruiting and separates the top half of the teams from the bottom half. Kdis like going to bowls. Their parents like it. Financially it works out to little for these lower tier bowls except in bonus money for staff and some gifts for the kids.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The dumb part of all this is the lesser bowl are irrelevant. There's no money in them. 8 pay $750,00 or under and there's another 7 that pay $1.5 mil or under. By the time the ex[enses ar epaid and it goes into the conferene pool it's chicken feed. Some say its good for recruiting and separates the top half of the teams from the bottom half. Kdis like going to bowls. Their parents like it. Financially it works out to little for these lower tier bowls except in bonus money for staff and some gifts for the kids.

I'm fairly certain that 5-10 years from now that there's only going to be about 20-25 bowl games.
What is nice for the conference as a whole is that more teams will have bowls in their home towns or very nearby which increases the chances of better crowds and smaller travelling costs. That means lower expenses for schools and more money left over.

By no means is Uconn playing in a conference I would dream up, but the new schools better position us with more bowls than the old schools.

Bottom line? At least were banging the fat chick with a cute face?

Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said: "Bottom line? At least we're banging the fat chick with a cute face?"

Isn't that Adele?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said: "Bottom line? At least we're banging the fat chick with a cute face?"

Isn't that Adele?
after the throat surgery i bet some things are quite nice.

Reaction Score
Memphis was added to get to 12 football schools and position the conference with another decent TV market. The future of the Big East will depend on what kind of TV deal is struck. The Big East is the only league available for the near future and with NBC adding an all sports network is in a strong negotiating position.

If the conference gets a great deal, all the complaining will stop. If the deal sucks, the instability of the past 12 months will continue.

Yes ... you all can bitch. But OUR Druken Friar typed out the Truth.

Since 2004, we have heard nitwits from BC & other schools tell us their superiority. Really? On just a little old John Swofford decision, there's all this looking down noses. UConn, as proud as I am over the last 30 years, cannot look down their nose at a Cincinnati, Louisville or USF. And, now Memphis ... UCF, Boise, SMU, Houston. O ... we WANT to be associated with Navy. Foolish. It is a football conference. It is about the eyeballs. We can be the 2012-2015 version of the AFL: a wide open fun league to watch in contrast to that Clemson - BC rivalry on the other network. OR ... maybe you think we will devolve into the XFL. Academic concerns tie us because it is college sports. But, we take the Boise with the Georgetown/ND. But, in Football, they are an attraction: they have a buzz.

I think there is $$$ for our TV content. Hoop & Football. And, like in 2003-2004, we have a lot of eager schools with something to Prove. They all want to be something beyond the C-USA.

Reaction Score
Thank you for allowing me in The Boneyard. One of your posting members invited us to come in.

I can see that some of you guys are not thrilled with the idea of my Tigers being in the conference with you. I want to tell you what I think about it.

I worked in downtown Hartford for six years in the 90s. Even though I have been a Tiger fan for decades, I went to Gampel Pavilion to cheer Rebecca Lobo, Kara Wolters, Jennifer Rizotti (who coaches where I received one of my graduate degrees), Nykesha Sales, Ray Allen, both Donyell and Donny Marshall, Travis Knight, Kevin Ollie and all of the Huskies. It was my local team and I loved going to Main Pub or Bidwell Tavern to watch games with friends. Coaches, in the mid 90s, was one of the best sports bars I have ever seen.

We love The Nutmeg State and hated to leave. It was a great place to live and work and have fun. I have waited for years to be able to be in the Big East and one of those reasons is to go back to football games at a stadium that is located on what was an airfield when I lived ten miles from there. I will be blessed if we can get that game on the first weekend of October. There is not a better place on earth than Connecticut at that time.

So, yes, I am disappointed that some of you guys that live and love one of the places I love thinks so poorly of the school from where I was reared and live and also love as my home. Time will just have to take care of that, I guess. Maybe you can come to Memphis in mid to late October and spend a weekend on Tiger Lane at the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium and enjoy something that means more to me than anything else besides my Maker and my family.

In the meantime, let me tell you about Memphis. Like most river towns, it is eclectic, crazy, stunningly wonderful, heartbreaking, vibrant, blighted, full of personality, exceeding its limit in woes, abundant in riches, overgrown in troubles, resilient and full of history of its very own. We are more than just Barbeque (Little Mark's in Vernon, CT. was our favorite when there), Elvis and Beale Street Blues. We have a culture that is unique and cultural institutions, such as The Brooks Museum of Art and The Memphis Symphony, that rival any city in the nation. Our problems are exacerbated by stereotype and prejudice but it is more accepting of other cultures than many of the ethnic neighborhoods I was acquainted with in New England. I drove through the North End in the evenings going to school after work and I went to a "swap meet" in Stafford Springs one time with some friends. Memphis does not corner the market on blight and I found that rednecks are universal.

The University of Memphis is not the low rent community college some seem to portray. The University has 25 Chairs of Excellence and five endowed Centers of Excellence that is world class. The FedEx Institute of Technology (as you may have heard, FedEx supports the local university) does world renown research and introduces leading practical applications of theoretical interdisciplinary innovation. Our music school is also renown and we have one of the world's leading Egyptology experts. I will stop with that but I could go on.

We also have a well known heritage in athletics and it didn't just start with John Calipari. For what it is worth, a lot of our folks didn't like him either, so we have that in common with Coach Calhoun. John did lead our basketball through some of the most exciting times but left with a lot to answer for. Let's just say that most Tiger fans are in love with our coach now, Josh Pastner. Gene Bartow, who very recently passed away, and Larry Finch and Dana Kirk, both who also recently passed away, had great success as coaches here prior to Josh and Calipari.

Now, football. Yeah, we have had some hard times recently and, in our 100 years as an institution, have had others. However, it was just a few years ago that we went to five bowl games in six years (2003-2005, 2007, 2008). In 2004, our football and basketball teams were shown on ESPN more than any other school in the country. We had great success against some of the current Big East members. We got left behind when the Big East took traditional rivals Louisville and Cincinnati and our football coach went through the 2006 signing period with three blocked arteries and had bypass surgery just a couple of days after Signing Day. Our program suffered for a few reasons, not the least of which was that we got behind on football facilities. We, at one time, had the best football facilities in the south. The SEC schools did not have what we had. We did not capitalize on that.

Now, because of large and small donations and a realization that we HAD to step up, we are an unfinished indoor practice field away from having facilities that are Top 25 in the nation. Even with all of the renovations that have been done to our stadium within the past three years, much more is about to be done. Ask Cincinnati what they think. They just played in the Autozone Liberty Bowl last month and their fans and administration were shocked at what we have done since they left CUSA.

We have a young, energetic football coach now in Justin Fuente and one of the best staffs I remember in the history of the program. I can't wait until Labor Day weekend.

Friends, your home is where I left a part of my heart and soul. I will always love my friends there and cannot wait to see them when we travel there as Big East members. But, my home is Memphis and I am proud of what we are and what we aspire to. Come see us when you can. I hope you leave some of your heart and soul here, too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fair enough - very well said.

Reaction Score
The Memphis Pharoahs of the Arena Football League has cool helmets!

Reaction Score
Fair enough - very well said.

Yes, that was pretty good. Hopefully, Memphis will do us all proud. Personally, I think the southern teams are going to do very well. They want to win down there and they will not only invest in it but they also have shown a willingness to "do what they have to do". I think Memphis will be just fine.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
So, yes, I am disappointed that some of you guys that live and love one of the places I love thinks so poorly of the school from where I was reared and live and also love as my home. Time will just have to take care of that, I guess. Maybe you can come to Memphis in mid to late October and spend a weekend on Tiger Lane at the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium and enjoy something that means more to me than anything else besides my Maker and my family.
When you say Maker you are referring to your bourbon, correct? Great post.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thank you for allowing me in The Boneyard. One of your posting members invited us to come in.

I can see that some of you guys are not thrilled with the idea of my Tigers being in the conference with you. I want to tell you what I think about it.

I worked in downtown Hartford for six years in the 90s. Even though I have been a Tiger fan for decades, I went to Gampel Pavilion to cheer Rebecca Lobo, Kara Wolters, Jennifer Rizotti (who coaches where I received one of my graduate degrees), Nykesha Sales, Ray Allen, both Donyell and Donny Marshall, Travis Knight, Kevin Ollie and all of the Huskies. It was my local team and I loved going to Main Pub or Bidwell Tavern to watch games with friends. Coaches, in the mid 90s, was one of the best sports bars I have ever seen.

We love The Nutmeg State and hated to leave. It was a great place to live and work and have fun. I have waited for years to be able to be in the Big East and one of those reasons is to go back to football games at a stadium that is located on what was an airfield when I lived ten miles from there. I will be blessed if we can get that game on the first weekend of October. There is not a better place on earth than Connecticut at that time.

In the meantime, let me tell you about Memphis. Like most river towns, it is eclectic, crazy, stunningly wonderful, heartbreaking, vibrant, blighted, full of personality, exceeding its limit in woes, abundant in riches, overgrown in troubles, resilient and full of history of its very own. We are more than just Barbeque (Little Mark's in Vernon, CT. was our favorite when there), Elvis and Beale Street Blues. We have a culture that is unique and cultural institutions, such as The Brooks Museum of Art and The Memphis Symphony, that rival any city in the nation. Our problems are exacerbated by stereotype and prejudice but it is more accepting of other cultures than many of the ethnic neighborhoods I was acquainted with in New England. I drove through the North End in the evenings going to school after work and I went to a "swap meet" in Stafford Springs one time with some friends. Memphis does not corner the market on blight and I found that rednecks are universal.

The University of Memphis is not the low rent community college some seem to portray. The University has 25 Chairs of Excellence and five endowed Centers of Excellence that is world class. The FedEx Institute of Technology (as you may have heard, FedEx supports the local university) does world renown research and introduces leading practical applications of theoretical interdisciplinary innovation. Our music school is also renown and we have one of the world's leading Egyptology experts. I will stop with that but I could go on.

We also have a well known heritage in athletics and it didn't just start with John Calipari. For what it is worth, a lot of our folks didn't like him either, so we have that in common with Coach Calhoun. John did lead our basketball through some of the most exciting times but left with a lot to answer for. Let's just say that most Tiger fans are in love with our coach now, Josh Pastner. Gene Bartow, who very recently passed away, and Larry Finch and Dana Kirk, both who also recently passed away, had great success as coaches here prior to Josh and Calipari.

Now, football. Yeah, we have had some hard times recently and, in our 100 years as an institution, have had others. However, it was just a few years ago that we went to five bowl games in six years (2003-2005, 2007, 2008). In 2004, our football and basketball teams were shown on ESPN more than any other school in the country. We had great success against some of the current Big East members. We got left behind when the Big East took traditional rivals Louisville and Cincinnati and our football coach went through the 2006 signing period with three blocked arteries and had bypass surgery just a couple of days after Signing Day. Our program suffered for a few reasons, not the least of which was that we got behind on football facilities. We, at one time, had the best football facilities in the south. The SEC schools did not have what we had. We did not capitalize on that.

Now, because of large and small donations and a realization that we HAD to step up, we are an unfinished indoor practice field away from having facilities that are Top 25 in the nation. Even with all of the renovations that have been done to our stadium within the past three years, much more is about to be done. Ask Cincinnati what they think. They just played in the Autozone Liberty Bowl last month and their fans and administration were shocked at what we have done since they left CUSA.

We have a young, energetic football coach now in Justin Fuente and one of the best staffs I remember in the history of the program. I can't wait until Labor Day weekend.

Friends, your home is where I left a part of my heart and soul. I will always love my friends there and cannot wait to see them when we travel there as Big East members. But, my home is Memphis and I am proud of what we are and what we aspire to. Come see us when you can. I hope you leave some of your heart and soul here, too.

So, if I digested all you wrote correctly, you are saying Memphis has good BBQ?

Reaction Score
When you say Maker you are referring to your bourbon, correct? Great post.

No, that is a Kentucky product that made a special John Calipari bottle a couple of years ago.

My preference is Jack Daniels.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm not big on the Memphis addition, but that was very well-written and from the heart. I hope you get to enjoy having your new & old team in the same conference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A good time can certainly be had on a road trip to Memphis. I thought Beale Street was great. I had a good time in Nashville and blues is about 10 times better than country.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
RandyMcTiger makes a good case. I've been one of the boneyard crew opposed to Memphis. In fairness, I opposed Boise, SD State and Houston as well. By the way, my criticisms of those schools are based on (1) the public perceptions of those schools, USNews etc., which I don't believe reflect the reality of educational quality (although for Boise there are very real questions) and (2) dissimilarity of culture, mission and geography.

In short, UConn now finds itself in a conference of schools that are generally not local, and which are also, unlike UConn, predominantly urban campus public universities, rather than traditional major state universities with a research mission. This is true for Louisville, Cincy, USF, UCF, Houston, Memphis, Boise St. and San Diego State. None of them are really a good fit. I think they fit well together, I just don't think UConn or Rutgers fits well with them. We are the outlier. None of this has anything to do with whether Memphis has good BBQ (I'll take KC) and is a fun place to visit. Hell, anywhere is more fun than East Hartford.

Reaction Score
Memphis is also a perfect lapdog for the basketball only schools. I wonder how big of a check they wrote Trangeese after his successful consultancy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No, I said Little Mark's in Vernon, CT has good BBQ...

Funny. I grew up in Vernon and remember Mark's. That building used to have a new owner and cuisine every other year. Mark's stayed there for a while (might still be there for all I know).

Never in a million years would I have thought anyone would come to Vernon for good BBQ.

For what it's worth, Beale is the second best strip I've been to. Key West is easily the best, then Beale, the French Quarter and finally Gaslamp in San Diego.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom