Injury updates on Gilbert or Larrier?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Injury updates on Gilbert or Larrier??

Reaction Score
1The undershirt is probably necessary to cover brace. It wasn't bad at all.
2 The fact that Nike keeps promoting low top sneakers to basketball players is offensive

High vs low top has little impact on ankle sprains. Almost positive. @Doctor Hoop would know better than me

Edit: did a little digging. I may be crazy

Last edited:
Reaction Score
High vs low top has little impact on ankle sprains. Almost positive.
You're not crazy. It's common sense. High top sneakers add very little, if anything, in reducing sprains because they would have to limit or range to do that, and they really don't do either. Wore flats, high tops, low cuts, running sneakers - you name it - thousands of hours on the court. Never noticed a difference, except with the running shoes, and I had dozens upon dozens of sprains. The running shoes had too much tread thickness, and after the 2nd or third ankle roll, I ditched them. Other than that, never experienced a difference.
In general, the amount of torque felt in a joint, be it ACL, ankle, shoulder, cannot be reduced substantially with wraps and ties and bands and high tops and sticky things. Someone point out a peer reviewed article if I'm wrong - I'm interested to read it.
Regarding marketing, you've gotta give the Corporations credit. They were very creative at market creation.
When I was a kid, we had basic sneakers, a pair of shorts, and a T-Shirt. Whole ball of wax, about 30 bucks.
Now, these kids buy pantyhose, arm panty hose, shoulder sticky thingies, 100 dollar sneakers, headbands, knee braces . . .
Good marketing boys.

Reaction Score
Larrier seems like one that will be injured every game. Not surprising considering the guy is barely 180 at 6’8.

Reaction Score
You're not crazy. It's common sense. High top sneakers add very little, if anything, in reducing sprains because they would have to limit or range to do that, and they really don't do either. Wore flats, high tops, low cuts, running sneakers - you name it - thousands of hours on the court. Never noticed a difference, except with the running shoes, and I had dozens upon dozens of sprains. The running shoes had too much tread thickness, and after the 2nd or third ankle roll, I ditched them. Other than that, never experienced a difference.
In general, the amount of torque felt in a joint, be it ACL, ankle, shoulder, cannot be reduced substantially with wraps and ties and bands and high tops and sticky things. Someone point out a peer reviewed article if I'm wrong - I'm interested to read it.
Regarding marketing, you've gotta give the Corporations credit. They were very creative at market creation.
When I was a kid, we had basic sneakers, a pair of shorts, and a T-Shirt. Whole ball of wax, about 30 bucks.
Now, these kids buy pantyhose, arm panty hose, shoulder sticky thingies, 100 dollar sneakers, headbands, knee braces . . .
Good marketing boys.

100$ sneakers. Oh you're funny Maddog. My players are dropping 200 PLUS sometimes. Coach still makes it rain on them in 40$ kicks ;)

Reaction Score
Omh.
The way the guy pulled him up was with all the pressure on the shoulder. They didn't even sync when they pulled him up, one pulled on his right then the other guy his left. I was like, "Let him get up on his own." Someone needs to tell them he's had two surgeries. He's not Stretch Armstrong. Jeez.

I remember how my shoulder felt during rehab for a looong time and yelled "oh no" at the screen when I saw it. Then his reaction. Just had to shake my head.

Reaction Score
I didn't want to mention this and jinx him, but since it's a thread now, did anyone else see in the Oregon game when AG was fouled hard going to the basket? Two teammates tried to help him up from both arms and he noticeably winced when one played pulled him up by his surgically repaired shoulder? If someone can find the clip and post here, I'd be curious to hear what others say, but it was very evident to me when I saw it live on tv.

I remember that moment. I cringe every time he hits the ground, which, sadly, happens on every drive.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good marketing boys.

Yep. Wide shoes with lateral stability matter. High tops...nothing. All basketball shoes are already designed the right way. Running shoes would be crazy. Those are designed for the pressure to only ever be forward, not sideways.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Yep. Wide shoes with lateral stability matter. High tops...nothing. All basketball shoes are already designed the right way. Running shoes would be crazy. Those are designed for the pressure to only ever be forward, not sideways.

True to a certain extent - there was a shoe designed at one time with a bit of an outrigger sole, to try to decrease the risk of rolling the ankle (lateral ligament sprain). The problem was it was too wide, and affected lateral movement, so it didn't sell well.

However, high ankle sprains occur with a different mechanism. They also take much longer to heal, sometimes as long as 8 - 10 weeks to get back to pain-free full function. Going back too soon isn't helpful, as it "re-sprains" the high ankle sprain quite easily (anterior tibio-fibular ligament).

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
100$ sneakers. Oh you're funny Maddog. My players are dropping 200 PLUS sometimes. Coach still makes it rain on them in 40$ kicks ;)

Coach makes it rain on em here too, but I admit to having similar $200 kicks, though not as many as when I was their age.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Who starts tomorrow night, Vital or Diarra (with Larrier moved back to the 3)?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom