Injury/Recovery updates: | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Injury/Recovery updates:

Reaction Score
Coach Niele Ivey, when questioned Friday about any injured Irish returning to action for the Purdue game on Sunday, Dec. 17th, said none would be coming back. So, that means that in addition to Olivia Miles and Jenna Brown, who have not stepped on court this season, Sonia Citron, Cass Prosper and Emma Risch will also not play.
Is it too early to say Bah Humbug?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Is it too early to say Bah Humbug?
As you're aware, Niele took a lot of flack for not giving any timetable on Olivia Miles or Jenna Brown. With both Sonia Citron and Cass Prosper, she said "a couple of weeks." Given that Citron's injury happened in the third game(!), people like MPG of the Bench are now suggesting Coach Ivey amend that to "month to month"...at best. Injuries and body parts, as you know, are going to let you know when they're ready, not the other way around. Oh, and frosh Emma Risch joined the walking wounded last game: that's 5 in street clothes.

This current lineup iteration for Notre Dame: Kylee Watson, Maddy Westbeld, KK Branford, Anna DeWolfe and Hannah Hidalgo, with Nat Marshall as super-sub, has been playing pretty well. Miss Citron and Prosper, are missed, of course. But there is good depth. Not a lot of it, so knock on wood.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Iowa State has pre-season Big 12 1st team PG Emily Ryan back for the first time this year. Albeit for only 9 minutes a lot of fans thought she might not play this season. Undisclosed medical issue, hence the mystery on whether she would be back or not.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Iowa State has pre-season Big 12 1st team PG Emily Ryan back for the first time this year. Albeit for only 9 minutes a lot of fans thought she might not play this season. Undisclosed medical issue, hence the mystery on whether she would be back or not.

Nice fainting goat by the defender. That should be an automatic ejection!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Vandy lost one of its top guards, freshman Madison Greene, to a knee injury Sunday.
Ugh. I'm so sorry to hear this. What an awful time Vandy, much like UConn, has had with injuries.

Madison averaged over 20 minutes per game and played in 10 games. I hope that she qualifies for a medical hardship waiver, but she's on the borderline of eligibility.

Reaction Score
Ugh. I'm so sorry to hear this. What an awful time Vandy, much like UConn, has had with injuries.

Madison averaged over 20 minutes per game and played in 10 games. I hope that she qualifies for a medical hardship waiver, but she's on the borderline of eligibility.
Unfortunately, she played in all 11 games. Nine would be the cutoff for the 30-percent medical redshirt rule. They can try it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, she played in all 11 games. Nine would be the cutoff for the 30-percent medical redshirt rule. They can try it.
Strange. The Vanderbilt stats page shows her as having played 10 games.

In any event, if 9 is the cutoff, she's just above that.

Reaction Score

That's weird. Last night I'm almost sure it said 11...lol. I went there to check that very thing. Also, I can't remember a game where she didn't play, even though the time was limited in some early games. Her minutes increased as the season progressed. Anyway, as you said, 10 is still too many. They can still apply for it, and if it is turned down, there is an appeal procedure. The NCAA is getting more toothless by the day. Who knows, maybe they would just throw their hands up and approve it.

Reaction Score

OK, I hate to derail this thread, but it seems slow today, so I'll go ahead and post what I found out. Turns out when you go to vucommodores.com and make your way to the women's season stats, there are two versions listed (PDF) and (XML). The PDF is the one I always choose, and that one lists Greene as having played in 11 games.

The XML version is the one you found and posted, and it says Greene only played 10. I have no idea why they would differ, but I'm going with the PDF version since I know it is correct. It's much ado about nothing, I guess. I'm not a huge stats nerd, but I do like to check them from time to time, and it bugs me when I see errors.

Bottom line is, I went back and looked at all 11 box scores, and Maddie definitely played in all the games. This injury is tough. She had improved so much that she was definitely our second-best guard behind Jordyn Cambridge at this point, and her playing time was bound to increase. What's awful is, she'll probably miss most of the non-conference section of next year's schedule, and it will be very difficult for her to get up to speed against conference foes. This year's team will really miss her, too. Oh, well, lots of teams have injury problems.

Reaction Score

Oh no :(. Posting this so we can put out positive vibes and hope for a full recovery.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Oh no :(. Posting this so we can put out positive vibes and hope for a full recovery.

Oh, jeezum, thanks for that, Can. I'm living proof that there's hope, and I'm hoping she's as lucky as I was (I was a pedestrian).

Reaction Score
Saw on instagram that Notre Dame freshman Emma Risch will miss the rest of the season due to hip surgery. She has been out for a while. She's an excellent shooter, and I'm sure could have contributed along the way.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Saw on instagram that Notre Dame freshman Emma Risch will miss the rest of the season due to hip surgery. She has been out for a while. She's an excellent shooter, and I'm sure could have contributed along the way.
There's some postings on the ND Thread (and The Bench, of course) on this. Emma apparently had some issues with her hip early on and everyone tried various ways to address them, but came to the conclusion that surgery was the best course of action. Given that the injury took place in the first half of the year and she's only played 7 games (which will be less than 30% of ND's games once they hit the ACC tourney), she should be able to qualify for a medical redshirt.

That said, ND is so hit with injuries at the guard position that Emma could've helped quite a bit. Since former walk-on Sarah Cernugel is currently the only guard on the bench, Ivey has been going with a permutation of line-ups and leaning heavily on Freshman Hannah Hidalgo and Grad Transfer Anna DeWolfe, both of whom are on the floor more than 30 mpg.

If any walking wounded are expected back at some point, it's probably Sonia Citron, who has been spotted taking part in practices.
Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Gamecocks 2024 signee, 6-5 Post Adhel Tac, was going to miss this, her senior, season of high school due to injury. She enrolled In South Carolina today and will immediately begin physical therapy under the supervision of our coaches and surgeons. Not saying the surgeons paid by her high school insurance weren't good, but I trust our team much more. (Not sure she has had the surgery yet or was waiting til she enrolled)

This is what we did with Amihere too. Welcome Adhel!
1704314737356.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gamecocks 2024 signee, 6-5 Post Adhel Tac, was going to miss this, her senior, season of high school due to injury. She enrolled In South Carolina today and will immediately begin physical therapy under the supervision of our coaches and surgeons. Not saying the surgeons paid by her high school insurance weren't good, but I trust our team much more. (Not sure she has had the surgery yet or was waiting til she enrolled)

This is what we did with Amihere.
View attachment 94661

Makes sense if it's feasible to do so. And she gets the benefit of getting to know her team a little sooner. Win win for everyone.

Reaction Score
There's some postings on the ND Thread (and The Bench, of course) on this. Emma apparently had some issues with her hip early on and everyone tried various ways to address them, but came to the conclusion that surgery was the best course of action. Given that the injury took place in the first half of the year and she's only played 7 games (which will be less than 30% of ND's games once they hit the ACC tourney), she should be able to qualify for a medical redshirt.

That said, ND is so hit with injuries at the guard position that Emma could've helped quite a bit. Since former walk-on Sarah Cernugel is currently the only guard on the bench, Ivey has been going with a permutation of line-ups and leaning heavily on Freshman Hannah Hidalgo and Grad Transfer Anna DeWolfe, both of whom are on the floor more than 30 mpg.

If any walking wounded are expected back at some point, it's probably Sonia Citron, who has been spotted taking part in practices.
Stay tuned.

What a blessing DeWolfe has been, huh? I saw her play last year and really liked her. I got excited about Risch when she received one of Shea Ralph's first few offers after she took over at Vandy. It was early in Shea's tenure but late in Risch's recruitment. Lots of teams have injury problems, but it sure seems like Notre Dame, UConn and poor old Vandy have had more than their fair share the past few years.

Reaction Score
Watching SEC games today, I saw two more key players go down. No definitive word on either, but it didn't look good, and both had to be helped off the floor. Both appeared to be knee injuries. They were 6'6 Florida senior Ra Shaya Kyle, and Missouri's senior point guard Mama Dembele.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Pam Ward and Stefanie White spent the better part of the first quarter of the Notre Dame vs. N. Carolina game reviewing the continuing injury struggles of those two teams; noting it's not just those teams who have been plagued with injuries.

As a Notre Dame fan, I feel like a kid learning to drive a stick shift: go up one gear, go back a gear; get it in neutral, try reverse and now go forward again. The Irish got Sonia Citron back (with a full length sleeve and brace), but had Maddy Westbeld on the bench with a concussion. N. Carolina lost guard McPherson (again) yet the younger Key was back for awhile. For teams like this, you just hope they get a stretch when things are (relatively) static.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Although Sali Kourouma returned to play for Arizona against Utah yesterday, my wife read that she is now headed to surgery for her shoulder issues, it was one of those situations where she could help and not do any more damage.

I kind of assume that means done for the season, but I don't actually know that, as I never saw the article.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom