Injury/Recovery updates: | The Boneyard

Injury/Recovery updates:

Reaction Score
Seems like there was an overabundance of season ending (knee) injuries in last year - even in the September/October preseason. Could everybody share outlook on players y'all lost last year.

Yo Kansans - I am particularly interested in Ayoka Lee, but there were many others including Paige Bueckers whom we get many reports on.

Hopefully, lots of happy news.

Reaction Score
Read an article about Mir McLean a couple of days ago. She’s healing well from last January’s knee surgery and hopes to be back by January 2024.

Also, Sam Brunelle had foot surgery at the end of last season and has been fully cleared for basketball activities.

Reaction Score
Vandy point guard Jordyn Cambridge, after three ACL surgeries earlier in her career, missed last season after achilles tendon surgery. She's progressing and taking part in workouts. The team is currently in Italy and will play three games there, but I doubt Jordyn will see action. Or, very little. She is supposed to be good to go when practice starts, though I suspect they will be cautious with her.

Iyana Moore, coming off an outstanding freshman season, had ACL surgery last pre-season. She, too, is working out with the team. Coach Ralph said a few weeks ago she is slightly behind Cambridge in her recovery. I also don't expect her to see much real action until it is necessary to prepare her for the season. The team has more shooters this season (Moore's specialty) so I think they can afford to take their time with her.

Reaction Score
Not injury, per se, but Sasha Goforth continues to get rave reviews from the staff at Arkansas regarding her form in summer practices, and she has herself said she feels better than she has since she was in high school. Arkansas is also currently in Europe, and Goforth is in the lineup.

Reaction Score
UCLA rising redshirt junior 6’4” forward Angela Dugalic cleared last month to resume full activity after tearing an ACL last August. She injured her knee while training with the Serbian Women’s Senior National Team preparing for last year’s FIBA Women’s World Cup. Limited to 14 games at season’s end during 21-22 season after sustaining a severe kneecap bruise during preseason scrimmage. Did well in games played averaging 6.5 points and 4.5 rebounds.

Expect 6’4” rising redshirt junior forward Izzy Anstey also to return to full participation for UCLA this season. Injuries sustained last season limited Anstey‘s appearances to 3 min/game in six games.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Not injury, per se, but Sasha Goforth continues to get rave reviews from the staff at Arkansas regarding her form in summer practices, and she has herself said she feels better than she has since she was in high school. Arkansas is also currently in Europe, and Goforth is in the lineup.
I’m really glad to hear this. I’d forgotten that she has a really serious digestive-system disease. I’m happy that she says she’s fully healthy, and I’ll be rooting for her (and Saylor).

Reaction Score
Seems like there was an overabundance of season ending (knee) injuries in last year - even in the September/October preseason. Could everybody share outlook on players y'all lost last year.

Yo Kansans - I am particularly interested in Ayoka Lee, but there were many others including Paige Bueckers whom we get many reports on.

Hopefully, lots of happy news.
There's a miniseries on the k state Instagram about her recovery. Only on episode two but it's been decent.

Sticking with the conference, out of Baylor it does seem that Aijha Blackwell and Dre'Una Edwards are back on the court. It's that reason I'm pretty high on them, though it also feels like their best players from last year (the two freshmen) kinda play the same position.

Reaction Score
I’m curious as to how Aaliyah Gayles is doing. I think I saw that she was cleared for basketball activities, but I haven’t seen any other updates.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not a recovery but an injury

So disappointed, especially since she was already here half a season learning. Although not official, so far as I can see it is an ACL, with 2 fans saying so (casually) on Facebook and a reference to a large knee brace and on-court injury in the paper.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, let's address the Eyeglasses/Goggles on the Court situation in South Bend.

As we all know, Olivia Miles experienced a season-ending knee injury during the last regular-season game against Louisville and had surgery in May. It was major. No one (patient, team, university) has ever said what the specific injury was/is, but Coach Niele Ivey has stated she can relate to Miles since she had the same injury during her playing career. For the record, Niele Ivey had an ACL injury to her knee.

Ivey said Miles had successful surgery and is working hard and making good progress in her rehabilitation. However, an ACL injury can require a lot of time for a player to get back to optimal playing shape. Initial prognostications about a return for ACC play this season seem a bit optimistic if this was an ACL injury.

So, Irish fans can now understand one reason why Ivey brought in Fordham combo guard Anna DeWolfe to join grad student Jenna Brown to help with the point guard responsibilities. However,
the lion's share of that job will fall to ...

...Hannah Hidalgo. The highly rated frosh point guard, who had a stellar u19 World Cup this summer, will be running the ND offense on day one in Paris (tough start). Luckily, she'll be joined by mainstays Maddy Westbeld and -- most importantly -- Sonia Citron, who was connected at the brain with Olivia Miles from Day One. "Soni," ultimately tried to play three positions at once last year when Dara Mabrey, and then Miles, went down -- that's how much Ivey relies on Citron. Hidalgo will take over point responsibilities, thereby allowing Citron to return to wing or off-guard.

So, for the forseeable future: Hidalgo. Irish fans are excited about her, but 'Liv is "does not come around very often" type player. Heal well!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Emsbo is recovered and practicing full speed with Duke. DeJesus is out for the whole season with her acl injury from the summer. Mair will be playing point for at least 30 minutes a game. Good thing she is used to it!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Well, let's address the Eyeglasses/Goggles on the Court situation in South Bend.

As we all know, Olivia Miles experienced a season-ending knee injury during the last regular-season game against Louisville and had surgery in May. It was major. No one (patient, team, university) has ever said what the specific injury was/is, but Coach Niele Ivey has stated she can relate to Miles since she had the same injury during her playing career. For the record, Niele Ivey had an ACL injury to her knee.

Ivey said Miles had successful surgery and is working hard and making good progress in her rehabilitation. However, an ACL injury can require a lot of time for a player to get back to optimal playing shape. Initial prognostications about a return for ACC play this season seem a bit optimistic if this was an ACL injury.

So, Irish fans can now understand one reason why Ivey brought in Fordham combo guard Anna DeWolfe to join grad student Jenna Brown to help with the point guard responsibilities. However,
the lion's share of that job will fall to ...

...Hannah Hidalgo. The highly rated frosh point guard, who had a stellar u19 World Cup this summer, will be running the ND offense on day one in Paris (tough start). Luckily, she'll be joined by mainstays Maddy Westbeld and -- most importantly -- Sonia Citron, who was connected at the brain with Olivia Miles from Day One. "Soni," ultimately tried to play three positions at once last year when Dara Mabrey, and then Miles, went down -- that's how much Ivey relies on Citron. Hidalgo will take over point responsibilities, thereby allowing Citron to return to wing or off-guard.

So, for the forseeable future: Hidalgo. Irish fans are excited about her, but 'Liv is "does not come around very often" type player. Heal well!
Not a Notre Dame fan, but go Citron. It's a pleasure watching her play. I trust she will make a good pro.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not a Notre Dame fan, but go Citron. It's a pleasure watching her play. I trust she will make a good pro.
Good to talk with you again, Gus.
Agree with you, I think Sonia will make an excellent professional.

Reaction Score
There's a miniseries on the k state Instagram about her recovery. Only on episode two but it's been decent.

Sticking with the conference, out of Baylor it does seem that Aijha Blackwell and Dre'Una Edwards are back on the court. It's that reason I'm pretty high on them, though it also feels like their best players from last year (the two freshmen) kinda play the same position.

Just saw this. Big 12 guy and am optimistic for Lee and looking forward to her being back. She was posting up double/doubles while limping on that bad knee before so her at even 80-90% could be pretty good.

Reaction Score
Just saw this. Big 12 guy and am optimistic for Lee and looking forward to her being back. She was posting up double/doubles while limping on that bad knee before so her at even 80-90% could be pretty good.
"Could be?" :eek: That's a scary thought.

Reaction Score

Dang.

That's rough. I'm not familiar with Hull, but Toomey tore her acl/mcl during the tournament her junior year of high school in March of '22. Sounds like she had to have additional surgery this off season. In the normal course of events, she would be pretty much good to go by now, a year and a half later. Best of luck to both of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom