HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We know about UConn, what about others?

The below are from a 5 minute search. I’m sure there are more

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's too bad there's no $$ to study injuries in women's athletics. It would be fascinating to track injuries, say, across D1 women's basketball - major/minor to in-between. The challenge is to find a "cause." For instance, folks have been saying for years that overplaying and lack of cross-sport training is impacting women athletes - but it's all anecdotal.
And don't get me started on the lack of research on ACLs.....

Reaction Score
Another reason for the plethora of injuries is the evolution of the sport itself. These girls/young women are bigger, stronger, faster than before. They use and abuse their bodies now as the sport looks more like the Men’s game with each passing year. It’s become a war under the hoop. Finesse now comes in second. Big bodies win. This type of play will take its toll. Even more so on a team like UCONN where the coach picks his best 7 players and expects them to play 99% of the minutes. If that continues, so will the injuries.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's too bad there's no $$ to study injuries in women's athletics. It would be fascinating to track injuries, say, across D1 women's basketball - major/minor to in-between. The challenge is to find a "cause." For instance, folks have been saying for years that overplaying and lack of cross-sport training is impacting women athletes - but it's all anecdotal.
I hope this wasn’t someone’s PhD thesis

Reaction Score
This article says females land when jumping in a way that puts stress on their knees and males land in a way that doesn’t put stress on knees. There is training they can do to reduce the chance of knee injuries.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
This article says females land when jumping in a way that puts stress on their knees and males land in a way that doesn’t put stress on knees. There is training they can do to reduce the chance of knee injuries.
I've noticed more males are tearing acls. Maybe that will spur actual research. But, again, it'll be male-focused as much medical research is.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There's plenty of money allocated to studying it and loads of refereed articles. This is the result of 30 seconds worth of effort. I could get much better and more specific results with more effort:

Reaction Score
I know a orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine and she says the same: guys jumping and landing has less trauma to the knee simply because basically men have a broader base: wider feet, and bigger ankles also women generally have a wider pelvis (for obvious reasons) and as such the thigh bone angles down more sharply and causes more pressure on the inside of the knee...

Reaction Score
I suspect this post will be heavily disliked, but I am not in favor of the BE rule that stipulates that a women's game must be suspended if fewer than seven scholarship players are able to play.

Why "scholarship" players? Walk-ons aren't "players"?

Doesn't the "seven" rule open up the possibility that a team with only seven healthy players game the system by declaring an additional player unhealthy with an "undisclosed" illness to fall below the minimum?

NCAA rules require five players to begin a game.

Reaction Score
Another reason for the plethora of injuries is the evolution of the sport itself. These girls/young women are bigger, stronger, faster than before. They use and abuse their bodies now as the sport looks more like the Men’s game with each passing year. It’s become a war under the hoop. Finesse now comes in second. Big bodies win. This type of play will take its toll. Even more so on a team like UCONN where the coach picks his best 7 players and expects them to play 99% of the minutes. If that continues, so will the injuries.
I question your premise (at least insofar as it pertains to ACL injuries.) Aren’t most of those injuries suffered by guards who are cutting outside? Not by players in the paint?

Not saying you are wrong but I do question it. As far as injuries like concussions from head butts, etc., I can see your point.

Reaction Score
I question your premise (at least insofar as it pertains to ACL injuries.) Aren’t most of those injuries suffered by guards who are cutting outside? Not by players in the paint?

Not saying you are wrong but I do question it. As far as injuries like concussions from head butts, etc., I can see your point.
If you are going to pluck a single injury out of the pile, you really aren’t questioning my premise. For that specific injury - ACL - I don’t know any facts/stats. But if it is a fact that more players in WCB are suffering this injury than used to be the case back when, I would want to know….WHY?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I haven't found any current data, but this paper indicates the rates were remarkably constant for the 15 years between 1988-9 and 2003-4.

Reaction Score
I wrote a lengthy post under another thread about the spate of injuries. Some are insidious, such as ACLs or a dislocated patella, when there is no contact. Perhaps they are the result of specialization, 365 days a year of basketball, the attenuation of muscles and ligaments, or perhaps not. Others, like Dorka's , Azzi's, Caroline's, Aaliyah's nose, Ines' stitches, or Nika's concussion, are the result of contact.

I think the amount of contact allowed under the basket is disgusting and leads to injuries because it encourages unbridled physicality. I also think it is emblematic of a deeper problem that is years old and that is the embedded unconscious sexism of referees and administrative officials in leagues, which simply put is "They are girls, they can't hurt each other." It happens at the youth and high school levels and it happens at the college level too. This"let them play "attitude isn't basketball at all. Two quick examples. Azzi's injury. The ND defender deliberately pushed Aaliyah into her. There is no issue about it . She pushed her flat out. Dorka's thumb. Go back and watch the play. It was a deliberate hack straight down to a hand that had a serious fracture last year designed to prevent a shot not trying to block it. These may seem subtle because there wasn't blood but they are far from it.

Here are various non- policed patterns of physicality extant today: Restriction on freedom of movement particularly during cuts, fouls on the person not the ball, low bridges on box outs, pushing, holding and the like. If more whistles have to be blown for a while, so be it. The women will adapt to the officials as they do in each game. The officials seem to start every season with tight calls and then after a game or two it's the same old slugfest. The rules need to be revisited as well. Any intentional foul, not just to the head, is an intentional foul and should be called. The sport needs change to protect the players. It's reached that level.

Reaction Score
If you are going to pluck a single injury out of the pile, you really aren’t questioning my premise. For that specific injury - ACL - I don’t know any facts/stats. But if it is a fact that more players in WCB are suffering this injury than used to be the case back when, I would want to know….WHY?
I “plucked” it because I think more game time is missed due to ACL problems than any other.

I think.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I see that collegiate gymnastics is trying to lessen the impact from floor routine leaps. The school/league seem to be trying to do what they can to prevent injuries. Note the mat that’s slid in to cushion the landing. I’m no expert but I’m guessing they’re using the mat when it’s safe to do so. A “soft” landing might be less safe in some cases.

This is an awesome routine if you like gymnastics

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I wrote a lengthy post under another thread about the spate of injuries. Some are insidious, such as ACLs or a dislocated patella, when there is no contact. Perhaps they are the result of specialization, 365 days a year of basketball, the attenuation of muscles and ligaments, or perhaps not. Others, like Dorka's , Azzi's, Caroline's, Aaliyah's nose, Ines' stitches, or Nika's concussion, are the result of contact.

I think the amount of contact allowed under the basket is disgusting and leads to injuries because it encourages unbridled physicality. I also think it is emblematic of a deeper problem that is years old and that is the embedded unconscious sexism of referees and administrative officials in leagues, which simply put is "They are girls, they can't hurt each other." It happens at the youth and high school levels and it happens at the college level too. This"let them play "attitude isn't basketball at all. Two quick examples. Azzi's injury. The ND defender deliberately pushed Aaliyah into her. There is no issue about it . She pushed her flat out. Dorka's thumb. Go back and watch the play. It was a deliberate hack straight down to a hand that had a serious fracture last year designed to prevent a shot not trying to block it. These may seem subtle because there wasn't blood but they are far from it.

Here are various non- policed patterns of physicality extant today: Restriction on freedom of movement particularly during cuts, fouls on the person not the ball, low bridges on box outs, pushing, holding and the like. If more whistles have to be blown for a while, so be it. The women will adapt to the officials as they do in each game. The officials seem to start every season with tight calls and then after a game or two it's the same old slugfest. The rules need to be revisited as well. Any intentional foul, not just to the head, is an intentional foul and should be called. The sport needs change to protect the players. It's reached that level.
But if you put one finger on the ball handler twice 30 feet from the basket it's a foul.

The same player who pushed Aaliyah into Azzi absolutely clotheslined Liz Kitley a few games later. Bransford ran at Kitley with an outstretched arm and caught her just below the neck. If the arm had been a few inches higher, Kitley could have been seriously injured. Her arm was nowhere near the ball; didn't look at all like a play for the basketball to me, just a play to knock her over.

I think the "intentional" foul should be changed to a "dangerous" foul to include things that could seriously injure players, whether there's intent or not.

Reaction Score
But if you put one finger on the ball handler twice 30 feet from the basket it's a foul.

The same player who pushed Aaliyah into Azzi absolutely clotheslined Liz Kitley a few games later. Bransford ran at Kitley with an outstretched arm and caught her just below the neck. If the arm had been a few inches higher, Kitley could have been seriously injured. Her arm was nowhere near the ball; didn't look at all like a play for the basketball to me, just a play to knock her over.

I think the "intentional" foul should be changed to a "dangerous" foul to include things that could seriously injure players, whether there's intent or not.
I agree and there is (maybe was) a criteria refs used when I coached HS a few decades ago, namely, was the offending player attempting a “basketball play”. IMO, Bransford’s was not, pile driving through Edwards pick, rolling her into Fudd; clearly, to me at least, a dangerous play that had no business on a basketball court.

Reaction Score
Could not agree more with the two above posts. If you set a screen and you move slightly or you slightly bump 25 feet from the basket it's a foul but you can shove, hammer with the body on a shot, or low bridge and there's nothing. I like the concept of a "dangerous foul". It will prevent a lot of injuries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom