Info on Second Walk-On | The Boneyard

Info on Second Walk-On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
CollegeFans - Link

Hopefully the moderators won't object to linking to another site. Not a school site, think its okay.

Reads like a great addition to the team and a backup if Bria continues to have problems with her ankle.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"She WILL play in First Night basketball game on Team Kevin. Whoever Kevin is? Perhaps one of male BB players."

Perhaps. :rolleyes:

OMG

images

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
That site is the new home for the crazies from the old ESPN board.

LoneGranger used to post here. Supposed to be a UConn fan, but doesn't like Hartley. Check out his avatar.

U

UCONNfan1

What a crazed site. There's actually a thread comparing Russell to Stewart saying they are "equivalent" talents coming out of high school, even though their games are different. Did Russell ever dominate on any of the US National teams she played on?

Anyway, great info on the UCONN walk ons. The OP's comment was cute - not knowing who "Team Kevin" was. Yeah, he's just some guy on the men's side. Maybe a practice player?!!

Reaction Score
Oh come on folks - Team Kevin is obviously Team Kevin (Durant). I'm just not sure why he's coaching a UCONN team when his alma mater is Texas and his fiance alma mater is Virginia. Ya know - you gotta look at the most obvious before you go jumping off and thinking it might mean Kevin Ollie.

Reaction Score
Reads like a great addition to the team and a backup if Bria continues to have problems with her ankle.

A walk-on is not going to be a backup to anyone.

A walk-on's job is to provide another body in practice, and occasionally a couple of mins of mop-up time at the end of a game.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
CollegeFans - Link

Hopefully the moderators won't object to linking to another site. Not a school site, think its okay.

Backup Bria? You're kidding, right?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She will back up Bria, waaaaaayyyyyyyy back!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Given her martial arts training it is clear she will be the team's designated enforcer. :)

Reaction Score
How do any of you what Tierney Lawlor will do? Just another body? I doubt that. UConn went through that two years ago. She may not play a lot of minutes, but at the end of the game, when UConn is leading by thirty or forty, Tierney and the other walk-on will play. You don't want starters getting hurt. Who knows? Maybe she'll prove to be a solid player. Everyone should be rooting for her. We could use more depth.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What a crazed site. There's actually a thread comparing Russell to Stewart saying they are "equivalent" talents coming out of high school, even though their games are different. Did Russell ever dominate on any of the US National teams she played on?

Anyway, great info on the UCONN walk ons. The OP's comment was cute - not knowing who "Team Kevin" was. Yeah, he's just some guy on the men's side. Maybe a practice player?!!
I just heard there were problems in Tenn and the Bronx Zoo was going to do some brain transplants with Tenn Fans. The Zoo bowed out. LOL

Reaction Score
Congrats and good luck to her and it takes a ton of guts to walk on the best program in America.......She might have game....Lets see her play before we make judgements...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How do any of you what Tierney Lawlor will do? Just another body? I doubt that. UConn went through that two years ago. She may not play a lot of minutes, but at the end of the game, when UConn is leading by thirty or forty, Tierney and the other walk-on will play. You don't want starters getting hurt. Who knows? Maybe she'll prove to be a solid player. Everyone should be rooting for her. We could use more depth.
I think most are. Why do you think they aren't?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
CollegeFans - Link

It was never against the rules to link other sites. What you can't do is drag inflammatory posts from other sites over here with the sole purpose of riling up the fan base, you know, those posts that say junk like "All those UCan't fans think that.....blah blah blah.....".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think everybody is. But I don't expect her (or Pulid) to be anymore than a walk-on.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score

You can't compare Stewie and Russell based on Team USA performances, because for one, Stewie has participated in two more of those events (U19, U18), than Russell. She also has a year of college under her belt, with a national championship to boot, and to be honest, Stewart and Faris were instrumental in that NC run. I don't think UCONN wins that NC without Stewart. So yes, based on her recent Team USA play and play in the NCAA tournament, I think it's pretty obvious Stewart is one of the most talented, if not the most talented, player right now in WCBB.

If your wanting to try and argue one was better than the other coming out of HS, your not going to find good points to argue about either one of them being better than the other. Both had similar HS stats, both played extremely well in U16 and U17 play and both were rated 98 five star number one recruits on Hoopgurlz. And yes, I think it's safe to say Russell dominated U16 play without a doubt. She also did well in U17 play, but so did quite a few others. Bottom line is Russell's impact on Tennessee will be enormous. I'm def optimistic that Russell will be instrumental in ending Tennessee's final four drought just as Maya was instrumental in ending UCONN's final four drought her freshman year.

I do see your point, however, in that trying to make comparisons between Stewart and Russell, is like comparing apples and oranges. Stewart has accomplishments that Russell just hasn't had an opportunity to get herself. This season Stewart has a great shot at adding to those accomplishments and wouldn't be surprised if UCONN wins it again, maybe even going undefeated. Defense is the only question mark though. Geno has a great defensive mind and I'm sure we will see continue to see that same swarming intensity that is a trademark of UCONN basketball.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The defense this year will be better than ever if the team stays healthy. UCONN has the most speed it has had maybe ever.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Boxer - good points. But I would only caution that there are a few years every decade where the #1 HS player is exception and the rest of the time they are just really really good. DT, Parker, Moore, Griner, EDD stand out as exceptional (and that has carried on to their pro careers) and had instant and continued impact on their programs. I think Stewart will prove to be that kind of exceptional player whereas Russell is likely to be more like say a Tina or Williams - a very very good player who may develop into an exceptional player during their college career but isn't one yet.
On the USA record - I do think you can say that Stewart's USA performance stands out more than Russell's - she has been selected to play up in age group being the youngest player on her team and still starting and performing at a very high level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom