Individual Off Season Improvements | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Individual Off Season Improvements

Reaction Score
General consensus I think is everyone needs to be working with coach Sal as much as possible. Im thinking like 2 a days pretty frequently.
Is this allowed in the off-season? What are the constraints as far as time allowed in practice with staff etc? Anyone know?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Is this allowed in the off-season? What are the constraints as far as time allowed in practice with staff etc? Anyone know?
I’m sure he can give him a program or regimen to follow. I’m also sure there is a limit on face to face contact but once a player is on the team I think you can contact over the phone as much as you want. FaceTime??

Reaction Score
Ball handling is the thing that stands out to me the most across all our players. Just lack that fundamental skill . Never look comfortable

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Horribly bad observation.

That's already in place.
Yes as I said having a good bigs coach probably did more for Josh than anything else. Having half of your bigs unable to practice for most of the year didnt help Josh's development while having Akok probably did

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Loved Jalen, but, ultimately, he will be remembered more for his erratic production and one big shot than anything else. I don't see Hurley recruiting any guys who will described as "erratic production." I think Hurley avoids those sorts of players. Better to have a guy who puts up 10/10 a night than a guy who goes off for 20/8 one night and 4/3 the next. Also appears to be Hurley's issue with Sid, who he described as looking like the best player in practice, at times, and a walk on, at others. Can't imagine any new blood fitting that mold.

I'm quite certain Hurley would recruit both Jalen and Sid. In fact, he did the latter while at URI.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The team as a whole needs to improve their rebounding skills. They got slaughtered on the boards this year.
-The team as a whole needs to pursue the ball with a passion. Got beat to many times with loose balls and long rebounds. That's just hustle and wanting it more. They need to want it more than the other team.
- Vital needs to lose the chip on his shoulder.

These are all connected. Except I'd argue the exact opposite of the last point there.

I'm totally happy with the chip on his shoulder. He's one of the few guys on the team that has it. I hope Polley, Sid, Carlton, and the rest learn how to harness that fire. If they did, rebounding numbers would soar.

What Vital needs to do with regard to the mental aspect is continue to work on his shot selection and decision making.

- The team as a whole needs to improve their free throw shooting.

This is a guarantee. We are losing some guys who can't shoot and getting some guys who can.

Reaction Score
Carlton- Getting stronger hands, rebounding positioning and tenacity, strength, not traveling
Sid- Back to the drawing board on that jump shot form
B. Adams- Ball handling (would like him to serve as backup PG some day), shooting, shooting, shooting
CV- develop an iota of basketball IQ
Whaley- won't say it but most of us are on board with it
Alterique- grow skin made of bubble wrap

Reaction Score
I'm quite certain Hurley would recruit both Jalen and Sid. In fact, he did the latter while at URI.
The guys he recruited in HS are not the same as the same guys we saw this year. I was talking about the players they are today, not what they were 2 or 5 years ago.
Also, his targets at URI would not be the same as his targets here, which was my point.

Not ragging these guys - I love both of their contributions to the team - just pointing out that I expect Hurley recruits to be much more consistently aggressive. Time will tell.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The guys he recruited in HS are not the same as the same guys we saw this year. I was talking about the players they are today, not what they were 2 or 5 years ago.
Also, his targets at URI would not be the same as his targets here, which was my point.

Not ragging these guys - I love both of their contributions to the team - just pointing out that I expect Hurley recruits to be much more consistently aggressive. Time will tell.

He mentioned that Sid was one of the reasons he came, to coach that high potential kind of player. But that's neither here nor there.

I think Sid is more aggressive than he's appeared. You can see it when he flies back on D for a big transition block. He know how to use his athleticism in that scenario.

Given that, I think a bit of what we're seeing is uncertainty. He doesn't know what the hell he's doing (a significant problem). Ergo, he looks tentative. Also, he's so smooth, that he looks effortless at times, almost lackadaisical. Lamb and Rudy had the same problem, with people calling them lazy.

Sid's biggest problem, in reading between the lines, seems to be work habits. He needs to get better their full stop. Everything flows from that.

Reaction Score
Not by the Yard. YOu'd think he belongs on the Huskies of Honor. At least going by popular narrative on here.
Giffey was one of the most underrated players we had.
Neils Giffey was one of the most complete basketball players to ever grace this program. European fundamentals from an early age, always in or around the play, great IQ, glue guy, I question whether we could have won the championship without him. Neils was a guy who if you watched what was going on away from the ball, how he was always positioning himself to influence the play for better. Really understood the game, tremendous player. My father would have loved him, like a Havlichek or a Bird without the ball.

Reaction Score
I would take Neil on any team i was trying to build a national title team around. An honor to call him a Husky.

Reaction Score
He mentioned that Sid was one of the reasons he came, to coach that high potential kind of player. But that's neither here nor there.

I think Sid is more aggressive than he's appeared. You can see it when he flies back on D for a big transition block. He know how to use his athleticism in that scenario.

Given that, I think a bit of what we're seeing is uncertainty. He doesn't know what the hell he's doing (a significant problem). Ergo, he looks tentative. Also, he's so smooth, that he looks effortless at times, almost lackadaisical. Lamb and Rudy had the same problem, with people calling them lazy.

Sid's biggest problem, in reading between the lines, seems to be work habits. He needs to get better their full stop. Everything flows from that.
Nice post. I agree with all of it, but I'll point out Hurley was coming whether Sid was here on not, lol.
That written, I love watching Sid play. I say the same thing about him that I said about Stan - they exist on a different level. If either one just woke up one day and said _____K IT! they would be close to unstoppable. Sid's got both explosive jumping and timing - a rare combination. Clearly a natural athlete.
Funny thing . . . people say that KW was a great jumper . . . meh. Full run up, and all that, and the guy had great hops. But Sid? My G-d! The dude can be standing still and LAUNCH, and he's 40" up. It's unreal. I think his jumping explosiveness is on par with Stan, if not a bit greater. Two foot jumpers who can go close to max vertical from a standing position tend to be great defenders.
I have very high hopes for Sid.

Reaction Score
I would take Neil on any team i was trying to build a national title team around. An honor to call him a Husky.
I'll always consider the moment when KO finally figured out to start NG over OC and give NG the lion's minutes as the critical moment of ascension of that team. Neils was the final piece. Will always have burned in my brain the Kentucky NC game, late, when Kentucky was kicking at the door, and Shabazz worked his defender to the right of the top of the key, Neils got set from dead straight, Bazz threw a quick bounce pass, and Neils caught and shot in one motion . . . splash. That was the moment when I thought we could actually hold them off.
My goodness, Bazz was unreal. Unreal.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Neils Giffey was one of the most complete basketball players to ever grace this program. European fundamentals from an early age, always in or around the play, great IQ, glue guy, I question whether we could have won the championship without him. Neils was a guy who if you watched what was going on away from the ball, how he was always positioning himself to influence the play for better. Really understood the game, tremendous player. My father would have loved him, like a Havlichek or a Bird without the ball.

I doubt we would have won without any of those 2014 pieces. And he was a big piece. Really good player, liked him, jack of all trades. He's still not on my Husky's of Honor wall. ;)

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Carlton needs bulk and to work on fundamentals like not bringing the ball down, his footwork for back to the basket game, and some explosiveness. Plus FTs.

Everyone needs at least 10 lbs of muscle. Every single one.

Vital needs to dribble tennis balls all summer.

Gilbert needs to drink captain americas super syrum and shoot the 3

Pollen needs to learn how to rebound.

Adams needs both shooting and ball handling work. Wilson and Adams are basically on the same plan.

Whaley needs some kind of offensive move or an elbow jumper. Something to make him somewhat of a threat.

Diarra needs to get healthy. After that we can figure out what he has.

Reaction Score
Akok needs to develop a post game....

Yes, exactly. The idea that we are so blessed in post players that we can afford to have a 6-10 shot blocker sitting on the wing taking threes is absurd. Akok must and will be used in the post, most likely as a double post with Carlton.

Reaction Score
Yes, exactly. The idea that we are so blessed in post players that we can afford to have a 6-10 shot blocker sitting on the wing taking threes is absurd. Akok must and will be used in the post, most likely as a double post with Carlton.

Is he shooting for the other team now? He can play outside and defend inside--that's his biggest strength.

Akok will not be developing a post game. He is working on some basic stuff to use against mismatches or when needed, but the nuanced back to the basket game is not going to happen with him like it is with Carlton. The staple of his offense will be getting easy buckets in transition and 3s. As it should be.

Akok is not a guy who is going to be able to play center unless we're desperate. His best role is helpside blocked shots anyways. Even if he DOES gain the amount of weight Sal is hoping for, he's only going to be up to 220-225.

IMO Akok's best role may be off the bench if we can get a good--more traditional--stretch or regular 4. Akok will have some really great matchups against 4s he can stay with down low, but aren't too physical. But he's going to get beat off the dribble and pushed around some this first year. He's raw.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Is he shooting for the other team now? He can play outside and defend inside--that's his biggest strength.

Akok will not be developing a post game. He is working on some basic stuff to use against mismatches or when needed, but the nuanced back to the basket game is not going to happen with him like it is with Carlton. The staple of his offense will be getting easy buckets in transition and 3s. As it should be.

Akok is not a guy who is going to be able to play center unless we're desperate. His best role is helpside blocked shots anyways. Even if he DOES gain the amount of weight Sal is hoping for, he's only going to be up to 220-225.

IMO Akok's best role may be off the bench if we can get a good--more traditional--stretch or regular 4. Akok will have some really great matchups against 4s he can stay with down low, but aren't too physical. But he's going to get beat off the dribble and pushed around some this first year. He's raw.

I forget where it was, but the other day I scoffed at somebody saying 'Akok is the best player on the team...right now'. Too funny

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom