Individual Off Season Improvements | The Boneyard

Individual Off Season Improvements

Reaction Score
Alterique - Just work on getting healthy and building that confidence back up my man. Hopefully that allows him to make better decisions among the trees down low when he drives.
Vital - Make up your mind if you're staying or not. Baffles me that he thinks he's NBA ready. If he stays, he needs to work on ball handling and a go-to move to create his own shot off the dribble. Would love to have him back.
Brendan Adams - Take 200 shots a day. Become a reliable shooter for us. Didn't see much of that whatsoever this year.
Polley - Become our version of Giffey. His shot was too inconsistent, and work on being more active off the ball. Get stonger.
Carlton - Free throws free throws free throws. Also get to work on some EXPLOSION exercises.
Sid - Basically everything. His ceiling is so high because he's so athletic, but he just needs to work on literally every part of his game. Looked lost this year.
Diarra - Just get healthy please. Not sure if he will be on the team next year.
Whaley - Was convinced pork chop would be gone next year, but who knows with his involvement last few games.
Precious - Simple. Decide which dorm you'll be living in.

Hopefully with these improvements and our incoming class, we can make some noise. I think we should.

Reaction Score
Alterique - Just work on getting healthy and building that confidence back up my man. Hopefully that allows him to make better decisions among the trees down low when he drives.
Vital - Make up your mind if you're staying or not. Baffles me that he thinks he's NBA ready. If he stays, he needs to work on ball handling and a go-to move to create his own shot off the dribble. Would love to have him back.
Brendan Adams - Take 200 shots a day. Become a reliable shooter for us. Didn't see much of that whatsoever this year.
Polley - Become our version of Giffey. His shot was too inconsistent, and work on being more active off the ball. Get stonger.
Carlton - Free throws free throws free throws. Also get to work on some EXPLOSION exercises.
Sid - Basically everything. His ceiling is so high because he's so athletic, but he just needs to work on literally every part of his game. Looked lost this year.
Whaley - Was convinced pork chop would be gone next year, but who knows with his involvement last few games.

Hopefully with these improvements and our incoming class, we can make some noise. I think we should.

The Giffey ("3&D") role would be perfect for Polley if he had any toughness and interest in the defense/rebounding side of the ball. This was a guy who averaged 28 mpg and compiled more than 3 rebounds in a game 4 times! I'm afraid it's just a mentality thing, you can't teach toughness and a desire to mix it up.

In an ideal world he'd start in the 2011 Tyler Olander role -- play the first 3-4 minutes and if he's hitting shots, leave him in and give him 20 minutes scattered throughout the game. If he's not hitting shots, he doesn't play beyond the opening minutes. We need a lot more out of the 4, which Akok should be ready to provide.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Am I missing a game plan for Akok?

Is it coincidence that Josh's performance started improving after Akok was cleared to practice? Maybe having a quality defender to challenge him in practice helped Josh's improvement.

Reaction Score
General consensus I think is everyone needs to be working with coach Sal as much as possible. Im thinking like 2 a days pretty frequently.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I thought CV's post game comments after Houston were interesting...when asked about the incoming freshman, he said "they'll be really good for the program, the team.." If he was planning on returning, wouldn't he say "our team"?

Reaction Score
Vital needs to just relax and play. I feel like when he tried to be "the guy" he really struggled. Just play your game. He's a better player and shooter than he showed this year.

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to practice shooting.

“One of the best feelings in the world is to hear basketballs bouncing when you walk through a building like this,” Allen said. “I don't hear any bouncing right now, and that's something that I will probably address in the next day or so.”

A couple hours later, while wearing a three-piece suit, Allen was giving jump shot lessons to current Huskies, players who need to follow in his faded footsteps to earn a program’s return to relevance. On Sunday, he told the crowd, “To be special, you have to be willing to do special things.”

Players in uniform, or on the bench or behind it, would be well-advised to heed that advice.

Reaction Score

Make that 1000 shots a day for Adams and we're all set. He was bad bad bad.

Carlton-- Move in with Sal.

Polley--Watch videos of Dennis Rodman rebounding 2 hours per day.

Vital-- Ballhandling.

Sid--Just learn how to shoot. And dribble. And pass.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
I thought CV's post game comments after Houston were interesting...when asked about the incoming freshman, he said "they'll be really good for the program, the team.." If he was planning on returning, wouldn't he say "our team"?
probably just reading into it too much

Reaction Score
Polley and Sid really need a productive offseason. The fact that Polley, our starting PF finished the season with less then 2.5 Rebounds per game is unacceptable. You should be able to get 2.5 per game on sheer effort. I don't know what Sid was doing for an entire year and half before playing in a game but to me, he was the biggest underachiever this year. I hope Hurley tells these guys exactly what to work on and hold them to higher expectations coming back.

Reaction Score
Agreed. He dodged the question about returning completely. At this time last year, Jalen answered straight up that he was coming back, and he was/is loads better than Vital. Vital also used the words "they and the program" instead of "we and us." That was purposeful.

Reaction Score
Agreed. He dodged the question about returning completely. At this time last year, Jalen answered straight up that he was coming back, and he was/is loads better than Vital. Vital also used the words "they and the program" instead of "we and us." That was purposeful.

Jalen had a 4hunnid video to let the fans know he was coming back. He did not make an announcement minutes after his last game.

Reaction Score
Vital needs to just relax and play. I feel like when he tried to be "the guy" he really struggled. Just play your game. He's a better player and shooter than he showed this year.

Vital shot 41 percent from three this year. He shot 32 percent last year so I'm pretty sure he showed he is a good shooter.

Reaction Score
The Giffey ("3&D") role would be perfect for Polley if he had any toughness and interest in the defense/rebounding side of the ball. This was a guy who averaged 28 mpg and compiled more than 3 rebounds in a game 4 times! I'm afraid it's just a mentality thing, you can't teach toughness and a desire to mix it up.

In an ideal world he'd start in the 2011 Tyler Olander role -- play the first 3-4 minutes and if he's hitting shots, leave him in and give him 20 minutes scattered throughout the game. If he's not hitting shots, he doesn't play beyond the opening minutes. We need a lot more out of the 4, which Akok should be ready to provide.

Giffey was one of the most underrated players we had.

Reaction Score
-The team as a whole needs to improve their rebounding skills. They got slaughtered on the boards this year.

-The team as a whole needs to pursue the ball with a passion. Got beat to many times with loose balls and long rebounds. That's just hustle and wanting it more. They need to want it more than the other team.

- Vital needs to lose the chip on his shoulder.

- The team as a whole needs to improve their free throw shooting.

- Don't count on Gilbert. One of the cheerleaders might bump shoulders with him and he could be out all next season.

- Hurley needs to concentrate all that energy he has on his team and the home fans. Taunting the refs will cost you a couple games. Don't be part of the problem. Getting tossed out of the game helps who?

Reaction Score
Agree that 200 shots is not a lot for BAdams. I'd rather he shoot LESS if it means he's fixing his form early on though.

And Carlton can definitely become more explosive. He has one of the top strength coaches in the country working with him. He'll never be Charles Barkley, but he'll get better.
its called plyometrics

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Akok needs to develop a post game, as well as the ability to drive. Besides general improvements in all areas, he needs those two.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Loved Jalen, but, ultimately, he will be remembered more for his erratic production and one big shot than anything else. I don't see Hurley recruiting any guys who will described as "erratic production." I think Hurley avoids those sorts of players. Better to have a guy who puts up 10/10 a night than a guy who goes off for 20/8 one night and 4/3 the next. Also appears to be Hurley's issue with Sid, who he described as looking like the best player in practice, at times, and a walk on, at others. Can't imagine any new blood fitting that mold.

This is a mouthful and lots of BS. The kid was All Freshman AAC, 1st team AAC. 2nd team AAC and 3rd team AAC (would have been 2nd team if not injured). How many points did he score in his career? How many rebounds did he pull down as a guard? That's a lot of erratic. It's not his fault that injuries to him and others and a whole lot of lack in supporting help hindered him. Yeah he had some judgment errors but he is young. I remember JA for putting the team on his back his sophomore year and that wonderful performance in Hawaii. He made many clutch shots throughout his career and DH would recruit someone with his ability and credentials coming out of High School. He was #33 and recruited by many major schools and his final 3 were UConn, Louisville and Kansas. Yeah, I would avoid those sorts of players
You don't see and you think Hurley will do this and that.....
Also any new blood fitting that mold? What the hell was B Adams????

I have faith in DH getting some talent here but it's not going to easy - at least for the first 3 years

Reaction Score
General consensus I think is everyone needs to be working with coach Sal as much as possible. Im thinking like 2 a days pretty frequently.

8hrs per week inclusive of all organized, required activities. It all depends on how much they are willing to do on their own outside the 8hrs permitted

Reaction Score
8hrs per week inclusive of all organized, required activities. It all depends on how much they are willing to do on their own outside the 8hrs permitted
Good point.. I think the prior quote from Ray Allen is very telling. I can just imagine back in the day they were probably in the gym at all times. Working on perfecting their craft, without someone (a coach) forcing them too. I just feel like too many players on this roster don't want it that badly.

Reaction Score
its called plyometrics

Plyometrics will help. Box jumps, depth jumps, etc. etc. etc. too

Sal is also big on olympics lifts, which can drastically increase vertical and power if done correctly.

I've seen Sal in the gym briefly--he's really good.

Reaction Score
Sid and Brendan shot 23% from 3. If that does not improve Hurley needs to have a plan, which for them would be to stop taking them.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Am I missing a game plan for Akok?

Is it coincidence that Josh's performance started improving after Akok was cleared to practice? Maybe having a quality defender to challenge him in practice helped Josh's improvement.
That and a coach who can help bigs

Reaction Score
Vital shot 41 percent from three this year. He shot 32 percent last year so I'm pretty sure he showed he is a good shooter.
I never said he was a bad shooter. I said I think he didn't live up to his potential when he tried to do too much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom