Indiana next- what to expect | The Boneyard

Indiana next- what to expect

Reaction Score
UConn's next opponent is Indiana. What are they like? Are they one of those solid everywhere teams? Any particular stars that will/could give UConn lots of problems? What are their weaknesses? Will UConn be able to play the deeper line-up (DC an Nika getting serious minutes)?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Indiana is solid but beatable. They feature balanced scoring and will stick to what they know best which is fairly good offensive execution and team defense. They have a couple of kids that are really throwbacks in Mackenzie Holes and Grace Burger- I love watching both of then play. Burger excels at the lost art of the mid range game and Holmes does her damage at the basket with solid fundamentals and footwork. They don't have a glaring team or individual weakness that can be easily exploited so UCONN must be disciplined across the board. Each of starters are capable of hitting an open shot and sparking a run. Remarkably Ali Patberg HS class of 2015 and former ND player is still on this team and is very typical of the entire team- She is a very good player who does enough good things to beat anyone. For example Indiana played both Stanford and NCSt to fairly close losses earlier in the season. UCONN is going to have to go in and take this game and they need to start by keeping Burger out of the paint.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I actually like Indiana. They are a good balanced team. The one player fans should keep an eye on is Nicole Cardano-Hilary. She is a pest and i do mean pest on defense. She will likely draw 1-2 questionable offensive fouls (with 1 needing an official review) as she has done all season. She is a member of my my All Flopping Team. Bonus is Dorka is very familiar with the Hoosiers.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Indiana is solid but beatable. They feature balanced scoring and will stick to what they know best which is fairly good offensive execution and team defense. They have a couple of kids that are really throwbacks in Mackenzie Holes and Grace Burger- I love watching both of then play. Burger excels at the lost art of the mid range game and Holmes does her damage at the basket with solid fundamentals and footwork. They don't have a glaring team or individual weakness that can be easily exploited so UCONN must be disciplined across the board. Each of starters are capable of hitting an open shot and sparking a run. Remarkably Ali Patberg HS class of 2015 and former ND player is still on this team and is very typical of the entire team- She is a very good player who does enough good things to beat anyone. For example Indiana played both Stanford and NCSt to fairly close losses earlier in the season. UCONN is going to have to go in and take this game and they need to start by keeping Burger out of the paint.
She is a member of my my All Flopping Team (re: Nicole Cardano-Hilary
I watch IU a bunch, because of a bB1G subscription and, initially, because I still like Ali Patberg, in either a green or red uniform. Now, I just like the whole dang team

Coco:
  • Berger is, indeed, the queen of the mid-range game and she can get to it in a variety of ways: pull-ups, back-in and turnaround, even some under and ups. She gets fouled a bunch, too.
  • Holmes will do her Kevin McHale thing, too. She looks gangly, but don't be fooled, she's super efficient and all the IU players work getting her a touch at least one of three times down the court.
  • Aleksa Gulbe is, imho, the most improved player over the last two years. Third leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder. Looks like and plays like a cross of the Westbeld sisters. She's solid and smart.
  • At this point, Ali Patberg has probably played more HS and college games in Indiana than anyone. She's not the focal point anymore, but can sting you on the run and that odd set/jumper.
  • Smart, smart, experienced. Teri Moren has an older team and they play like one. Won't get rattled. At all. Under pressure, look for Berger to get the ball and good luck taking it from her.
  • Foul shots. 75%. They won't miss many.

HuskyFan1125:
- Cardano-Hillary will, if I read Moren correctly, attach herself to the Husky that they feel controls pace and then they'll be considered one thing. She drives Clark nuts.
Paige, meet your new best friend.
- As per flopping: C-H is not just a pest who falls backwards: she made the all-defense B1G team. Excellent one-on-one defender who also fills passing lanes. C-H moves her feet well, gets in a guard's grill and then rebounds to the tune of nearly 5 a game. Yes, she's 5'6".

Looking forward to this game.....

Reaction Score
I actually like Indiana. They are a good balanced team. The one player fans should keep an eye on is Nicole Cardano-Hilary. She is a pest and i do mean pest on defense. She will likely draw 1-2 questionable offensive fouls (with 1 needing an official review) as she has done all season. She is a member of my my All Flopping Team. Bonus is Dorka is very familiar with the Hoosiers.
she can be a pest offensively too........

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I wonder if UConn has any experience dealing with that kind of pesky, annoying player type-Battles, little Mabry...why yes, so we have experience dealing with #4 Cardano-Hilary types....

To me, the shear depth of UConn will wear down Indiana who while a solid defensive team, is not as deep or physical as would be necessary to beat UConn. Their offensive prowess is limited. If Azzi or Paige can get hot, and our defense remain determined, we should advance to the Elite 8.

Reaction Score
Can I know who listed in the All Flopping Team? It's funny.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder if UConn has any experience dealing with that kind of pesky, annoying player type-Battles, little Mabry...why yes, so we have experience dealing with #4 Cardano-Hilary types....

To me, the shear depth of UConn will wear down Indiana who while a solid defensive team, is not as deep or physical as would be necessary to beat UConn. Their offensive prowess is limited. If Azzi or Paige can get hot, and our defense remain determined, we should advance to the Elite 8.
That UCONN depth thing may have done an Elvis and left the building.
Against UCF last night Azzi played 38 minutes, Paige played 32 and CW played 34.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
According to the reporters at the UCF post game presser several Huskies are probably on that team.
the mystery files of shelby woo nicksplat GIF

Reaction Score
The real question on my mind is what UConn team will show up for Indiana. While I view Indiana has a balanced, well coached team, the Huskies that played the last few weeks of the season with energy and a motion offense should beat them by 20-25 points. The team we saw last night, great defense but a slow, methodical offense, will win but less so.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The real question on my mind is what UConn team will show up for Indiana. While I view Indiana has a balanced, well coached team, the Huskies that played the last few weeks of the season with energy and a motion offense should beat them by 20-25 points. The team we saw last night, great defense but a slow, methodical offense, will win but less so.
I agree. UCF combined athleticism, quickness & aggression to play UCONN in a close game last night. Arizona did the same thing last season and beat UCONN. Indiana has a few player with similar athleticism but lack the aggression and quickness to muddy up the game the way UCF did.

Reaction Score

I agree with everything you said. Indiana, especially Holmes and Berger, Cardano-Hillary, are a joy to watch. Those three players are throwbacks. Berger with the pull up jumper game. Cardano-Hillary with the pesky defense. Holmes just fluid with her game. Footwork. Post work. Solid. Indiana is beatable but UConn can not come in half stepping and thinking that this is going to be an easy game.

Reaction Score
IU lost three times to Iowa, Creighton beat Iowa at Iowa, UCONN beat Creighton twice by 18 and 20.
why context matters, in the 1st 2 meetings in Late February with one of Indiana's best players missing both games.

Reaction Score
Cam Brink posted 22 and 21 in Stanford’s win against Indiana. Her length and athleticism really bothered Holmes on both ends. This could be a game where UConn’s posts feast if they get her in foul trouble. I also think Juhasz could potentially have a big game because of her familiarity with Indiana.

Reaction Score
I agree. UCF combined athleticism, quickness & aggression to play UCONN in a close game last night. Arizona did the same thing last season and beat UCONN. Indiana has a few player with similar athleticism but lack the aggression and quickness to muddy up the game the way UCF did.
very true but when Berger and friends are shooting well they are a far better offensive team than UCF could even dream of being......

Reaction Score
That UCONN depth thing may have done an Elvis and left the building.
Against UCF last night Azzi played 38 minutes, Paige played 32 and CW played 34.
I think Geno knew that UCF was no threat offensively and that at least for last night, neither was UConn..........thus he played the players with the best chance to put the ball in the basket..........I'm certainly hoping that Indiana's defense which at 61.3 per game will be far less challenging than UCF's that gave up 47.8 per game on average.........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom