Indiana is VERY good | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Indiana is VERY good

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
It's going to be a very interesting matchup, going from BC, who played a four out, or five out, offense to Indiana who doesn't quiet spread it around that much.

They are, of course, have height at every position, except whoever Daniels defends.

Should be interesting to say the least.

Reaction Score
So we're just gonna ignore the fact someone called Vonleh Hakeem Olajuwon ? Washington stinks, the way we disrupted hanlan I have a hard time believing any perimeter player from IU will go off on us. these are the kind of games Daniels and boatright show up for: match ups that they take personal. first priority tonight is get Vonleh in foul trouble

Reaction Score
So we're just gonna ignore the fact someone called Vonleh Hakeem Olajuwon ? Washington stinks, the way we disrupted hanlan I have a hard time believing any perimeter player from IU will go off on us. these are the kind of games Daniels and boatright show up for: match ups that they take personal. first priority tonight is get Vonleh in foul trouble

People are saying we disrupted Hanlan, but the kid got 19 points. And worse, all his push-offs got into UConn's head. Napier was flustered by the fouls called on him, and the non-fouls. That was a very loud 19 points for Hanlan. It impacted the game greatly.

Reaction Score
People are saying we disrupted Hanlan, but the kid got 19 points. And worse, all his push-offs got into UConn's head. Napier was flustered by the fouls called on him, and the non-fouls. That was a very loud 19 points for Hanlan. It impacted the game greatly.
Agreed . But hanlan really wasn't in any rhythm, not alot of teams can really take him out of rhythm. Napier had hanlan draped on him all night also , yogi ferrel is like 5'10 compared to his 6'4. For what its worth napier was more impressive to scouts than hanlan was.on another note, Giffey got into foul trouble and wasn't able to explode; even though he was ready to.

caw

Reaction Score
So IU:

Main 3pt gunners:
Yogi F - 6-0, 178, starter (14/34)
Will S - 6-7, 200, starter (4/16)

Will shoot at least once a game from three:
Troy W - 6-7, 206 starter (1/5)
Jeremy H - 6-8, 219 starter (3/6)
Evan G - 6-0, 193 bench (1/8)

Top rebounders:
Noah V - 6-10, 240 starter (11.8)
Troy W - (6.0)
Devin D- 6-7, 221 bench (4.6 in 11 minutes)

Those are their top 7 guys.

They also play three more guys a decent amount in blowouts. Only Hanner Mosquera-Parea got a good number of minutes against LIU, though that may have been more matchup/foul related.

They aren't particularly good from three, and really only two guys really fire it up.

As you can see they start a tall lineup, it will be interesting to see who Boat/Napier defend. If I were to guess I would guess Ferrell and Sheehey.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it but no team ever plays 40 minutes of great basketball. Even cupcakes make runs. There are points in the game where you are just flat outplayed. It would be tough to play a full out 40 minutes against air.

That said, we need to maintain our offensive efficiency and defensive intensity. Just play well and smart and the outcome will chase you.

caw

Reaction Score
Continued:

They are fantastic on the glass, not just raw numbers but the collect 73% of possible defensive boards and 48% of offensive boards, for a total of 61%. It's quite staggering.

They shoot: 48% overall, 29% from 3, which only accounts for 25% of their shots, it's a low amount. They convert 55% from 2, which is solid though not amazing. The fact they get so many OB, means it's still quite a big issue.

They shoot 73% from the line and attempt nearly 40 per game.

They steal the ball 6.2 times per game and block 7.6 per game. Opponents average 12.6 TOs per game, which isn't that high. They score 94 PPG.

On the flip side, they are also a pretty darn good defensive team, only allowing 35% overall, 26% from three and 40% inside the arc. Opponents have shot more threes (35% of shots), which is expected. Their opponents go to the line 26 times per game on average. Opponents average 7.4 steals, 4 blocks and IU turns it over 15.2 times per game. Even with the good % defense, teams are averaging 72.2 per game against IU.

They play a pretty fast pace with lots of fouls, however they don't shoot well from three, turn it over a decent amount. Unlike BC they do play pretty solid defense.

It should be noted in their closest game, against LIU, they gave up 33% from three and shot poorly all around. I missed most of the game, so not sure how LIU forced/got them to miss so many. LIU also got to the line more times than IU. In fact it was the only game IU shot fewer than 36 FTs (17).

Reaction Score
Crean cannot be dumb enough to put that guy sheehy on Napier, that would be hilarious. Troy Williams is very active we need to have a body on him @ all times. would like to see kromah matchup with him. I think kromah needs more minutes , and less for Nolan/Olander.

caw

Reaction Score
Crean cannot be dumb enough to put that guy sheehy on Napier, that would be hilarious. Troy Williams is very active we need to have a body on him @ all times. would like to see kromah matchup with him. I think kromah needs more minutes , and less for Nolan/Olander.

It's an interesting set of matchups. They basically start three SFs in Sheehey/Williams and Hollowell. Obviously two of them will defend Calhoun/Daniels.

After that one has to defend whoever Farrell isn't guarding. Vonleh should have Nolan, which means he will have room to roam a bit. I wouldn't be surprised is they switch between those three SFs, if we use Daniels as a screener for the guard being defended by the SF.

Obviously this means Boatright or Napier will have to defend a SF, not sure who.

I hope they switch defenders on Farrell all game and pressure him full court. I'd also attack him on defense. Not that he's a bad defender but it's a drop off if he gets in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
@caw is there a backup pg? we should focus on wearing out yogi if not, maybe run boat around screens. Napier can guard a 6'6 sf in a pinch if said forward isn't a ball handler.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Being an IU Hoosier fan, never under estimate the dumb moves he can pull off. :oops:

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I think kromah needs more minutes , and less for Nolan/Olander.
I think you might have a good point there (although TO is hardly on the floor now). Traditional thinking would make it seem logical that you need your tallest players on the floor to have better interior defense and rebounding but that is not always the case. Neither PN or TO is good at snatching or pursuing the ball and are only average at shot blocking, so going small with Kromah getting so more run may actually help rebounding and provide better interior defense by having better movement of the feet/positioning/drawing charges etc.

Reaction Score
Olander beat Maryland. We may have to pull him out of mothballs for IU.

Reaction Score
Boatwright had two blocks in the game, one more than his previous career high.

"He did a lot of things for us tonight," Ollie said. "He had a great floor game. I know he wanted to score a little more, but the game is going to dictate that and when that does you have to play for your teammates. He can explode at any time and I know he'll be ready for tomorrow and we'll play better offense than we did tonight."

I'm amazed at the KO quote. He is bound to get blocks, he tries to block everything and usually goes flying by his man which in turn starts the domino affect of people trying to help on D until the the other team finds an open man and gets an open look. When he wants to stay between his guy and the basket he can be good but usually I find Boats defense to hurt the team overall.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's going to be a very interesting matchup, going from BC, who played a four out, or five out, offense to Indiana who doesn't quiet spread it around that much.

They are, of course, have height at every position, except whoever Daniels defends.

Should be interesting to say the least.

Frascilla said last night that Indiana is using the new hand check and (lack of) charging rules to their advantage. I was toward the end of last night's free throw shooting contest...err regulation basketball game between UConn and BC. I didn't watch the Indiana game, but the box score seems to suggest it (IU was 31-36 from the line). Basically, their strategy is to drive to the basket and go to the line. It makes sense so far; at least until the refs cough up the whistle. Why risk taking and missing a bunch of jumpers when you are virtually guaranteed a couple uncontested 15 foot set shots?

By the way Mr. NCAA Official. just because there is a mandate on calling less charges (mainly for Duke), doesn't mean the offense can't commit a foul. BC (Hanlan in particular) pushed off at least a couple handfuls of times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm amazed at the KO quote. He is bound to get blocks, he tries to block everything and usually goes flying by his man which in turn starts the domino affect of people trying to help on D until the the other team finds an open man and gets an open look. When he wants to stay between his guy and the basket he can be good but usually I find Boats defense to hurt the team overall.

He didn't hurt the team with his D on Hanlan last night.

Reaction Score
He didn't hurt the team with his D on Hanlan last night.

Shabazz guarded him a lot also and was better minus the forearms.......Boat can be good no doubt, but he's not consistent. I will go back and count all the rush out attempts to block and the attempted steals from 40 feet away that hurt the overall effectiveness of team D......sorry he can be a lot better. He was not very good he was okay. "Okay" will not beat Indiana!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom