Indiana Fever Question | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Indiana Fever Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well winning more games than previous season or getting better defensively and sticking up for each other.

Reaction Score
A successful season would include reducing the minutes that CC has been required to play to minimize the chance of injury

Reaction Score
Would anything she or another team mate help things? It seems like minds are made up without actually trying to get the truth. While I would love to see the team defend themselves, why bother if the message will fall on deaf ears?

Reaction Score
I have been biting my tongue on this discussion but I can't hold it in any longer. Caitlin has been getting a pretty good whistle for the season. Literally every play she and everyone has complained about up until the Chennedy hip check was completely within the game. And even with the hip check which I think was totally wrong, I do think Caitlin played her part in instigating it. If you can't handle yourself for the possible consequences then Clark shouldn't be doing her share of extra curriculars on the court to need saving for.

Which brings me to my real issue with this whole thing. Last year people said, specifically Boston fans had stated that Indiana has a culture issue. Players were actively not passing her ball, one of her teammates family was actively liking and reposting content that was disrespecting her and no one really came to help her from some of the unnecessary physicality she received last season. But you know what she smiled through it, kept pushing and people tried to gaslight her fans into believing there were no issues.

Now here we are 1 year later, not even a week into the Season Boston has to delete social media because new fans (mostly Clark fans) have called her everything but her name. Clark struggles and despite her own struggles Boston has been there to offer support. Clark now is chirping with other players and had incidents with two different players in VV and Chennedy and yet again Boston is there to offer her support.

So I despise this notion that Boston should be an enforcer. For one it makes no sense to make one of your star players to take that role when that's never been their thing. Especially a player who already has a tight whistle as is, that would only target her more by the officiating. Secondly what exactly would she be enforcing for, most of the plays people have been complaining about are normal blocks with incidental contact and defense that most players have received.

I think we have to be realistic about the negative connotations that being an enforcer entails and look at the demographics that Boston represents. It's not the same as the men and people will use that even as more ammo to attack her if she ever did take that role. I have seen the disgusting comments and takes that occur when players like McCowan and BG had got involved in some tussles and everybody doesn't want to deal with all that. We're only 2 months away from Kamilla being referred to as many demeaning words and was looked down upon nationally for doing the very thing many are suggesting.Taking on that role for the sake of someone else actions, whose fans have already pushed you and other players offline isn't fair or right.

Boston protects players in her own way. She has attempted to protect Clark at every step of the way by trying to defuse the situation. Unlike Clark she never had the coach and GM protect her despite getting a much harsher whistle all season. No one had her back when both Alyssa Thomas and Jonquel Jones got into her face this season. She's a 2nd year player with a lot on her shoulders too and she's getting a lot of mainstream hate without the mainstream love. Everyone is so concerned about protecting Clark that they are losing sight what these actions could mean for anyone else.

Reaction Score
A successful season would include reducing the minutes that CC has been required to play to minimize the chance of injury
That is one of the things that bugs me. CC doesn't have to play the minutes she has. Its not like the team is helpless without CC on the floor. In fact the Fever has had some pretty good moments without her. Frankly there is an argument that maybe she should be the sixth player for a little while until she gets some seasoning. 20 to 25 minutes a game might be a good target.

Reaction Score
I have been biting my tongue on this discussion but I can't hold it in any longer. Caitlin has been getting a pretty good whistle for the season. Literally every play she and everyone has complained about up until the Chennedy hip check was completely within the game. And even with the hip check which I think was totally wrong, I do think Caitlin played her part in instigating it. If you can't handle yourself for the possible consequences then Clark shouldn't be doing her share of extra curriculars on the court to need saving for.

Which brings me to my real issue with this whole thing. Last year people said, specifically Boston fans had stated that Indiana has a culture issue. Players were actively not passing her ball, one of her teammates family was actively liking and reposting content that was disrespecting her and no one really came to help her from some of the unnecessary physicality she received last season. But you know what she smiled through it, kept pushing and people tried to gaslight her fans into believing there were no issues.

Now here we are 1 year later, not even a week into the Season Boston has to delete social media because new fans (mostly Clark fans) have called her everything but her name. Clark struggles and despite her own struggles Boston has been there to offer support. Clark now is chirping with other players and had incidents with two different players in VV and Chennedy and yet again Boston is there to offer her support.

So I despise this notion that Boston should be an enforcer. For one it makes no sense to make one of your star players to take that role when that's never been their thing. Especially a player who already has a tight whistle as is, that would only target her more by the officiating. Secondly what exactly would she be enforcing for, most of the plays people have been complaining about are normal blocks with incidental contact and defense that most players have received.

I think we have to be realistic about the negative connotations that being an enforcer entails and look at the demographics that Boston represents. It's not the same as the men and people will use that even as more ammo to attack her if she ever did take that role. I have seen the disgusting comments and takes that occur when players like McCowan and BG had got involved in some tussles and everybody doesn't want to deal with all that. We're only 2 months away from Kamilla being referred to as many demeaning words and was looked down upon nationally for doing the very thing many are suggesting.Taking on that role for the sake of someone else actions, whose fans have already pushed you and other players offline isn't fair or right.

Boston protects players in her own way. She has attempted to protect Clark at every step of the way by trying to defuse the situation. Unlike Clark she never had the coach and GM protect her despite getting a much harsher whistle all season. No one had her back when both Alyssa Thomas and Jonquel Jones got into her face this season. She's a 2nd year player with a lot on her shoulders too and she's getting a lot of mainstream hate without the mainstream love. Everyone is so concerned about protecting Clark that they are losing sight what these actions could mean for anyone else.
I also have not heard or seen Clark speak up to protect her teammates or fellow players from any of the hate (racist, homophobic, and misogynistic) that have been directed at them for simply playing basketball with or against her. And they are expected to end the fights she starts on the court? I don’t think so.

This is where the. WNBA and associated media needs to be careful and where the Clark hype machine can really be a net negative for the league. This last week there has been a lot re-enforcement of negative racial stereotypes which is terrible for individual players but also not going to help the growth of a league made up of predominantly black and brown queer women.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Locked.

Stop with the racist crap.

Stop the homophobic crap.

Stop the misogynistic crap.

Stop the political crap.

Leave personalities out of every discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom