Independent Scheduling | Page 33 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Are you going to travel to Nebraska, Wisconsin or Indiana during the winter? I wanted to check out a Houston/UConn game and at the same time visit NASA HQ(in Houston). And thought it would be fun to catch a Dallas Cowboys game and a SMU/UConn contest in the same weekend. Or visit New Orleans and catch a UConn game in the same trip. Or one of the two Florida destinations. Not now. Now we can anticipate visiting such vacation hotbeds as Providence, South Orange, Omaha, Lincoln Park, Indianapolis and Milwaukee.

Do you realize 99% of people think this is nuts? Noooooobooodddyyyy caaaaaares about Houston or SMU or Tulsa or Tulane. They don’t matter. They’re decent at football! And nobody, anywhere, cares.

Reaction Score
Are you going to travel to Nebraska, Wisconsin or Indiana during the winter? I wanted to check out a Houston/UConn game and at the same time visit NASA HQ(in Houston). And thought it would be fun to catch a Dallas Cowboys game and a SMU/UConn contest in the same weekend. Or visit New Orleans and catch a UConn game in the same trip. Or one of the two Florida destinations. Not now. Now we can anticipate visiting such vacation hotbeds as Providence, South Orange, Omaha, Lincoln Park, Indianapolis and Milwaukee.
How come you haven't done it yet then? If they are such great trips why aren't UConn fans making those trips? I've made some of those trips since we've joined the AAC. They aren't as great as they sound.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fair about the football schedule. I would never say it's equal or better than what they have but I've seen people have here.

However, I would blame the AAC for the down fall of this program. Bad hires have set us back in both sports but it's very clear people don't care about the competition in the AAC. Sure the die hards will show up and watch UConn play anyone but the casual/non-diehard fan didn't care. And the TV deal/coverage is garbage.

Whats going to be interesting going forward is how many season tickets they sell for football. Basketball will thrive with the new move but how will they market football? IMO they are going to have to make major changes in prices and give people incentives to buy in.

The AAC vs. Independent scheduling breaks down to UConn fans not caring about Houston, UCF or most other schools regardless of how good those teams were as compared to regional schools that interest fans.

On basketball side it was apparent coaches and recruits did not find the AAC viable. Same for donors.

Reaction Score
Ollie was a bigger problem for the basketball program than the conference was. Its not even close.

Still the right move though.

And the road trip point being made, it may be relevant for you personally, but big pictures doesn't matter at all.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ollie was a bigger problem for the basketball program than the conference was. Its not even close.

Still the right move though.

And the road trip point being made, it may be relevant for you personally, but big pictures doesn't matter at all.

There are only about 20 coaches currently living that have won a men's national championship in basketball, and Ollie is one of them. But he sucks according to you. Got it.

Calhoun would not have been able to keep us nationally competitive in the AAC. Ollie made a lot of mistakes, but the conference was killing our athletic program.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There are only about 20 coaches currently living that have won a men's national championship in basketball, and Ollie is one of them. But he sucks according to you. Got it.

Calhoun would not have been able to keep us nationally competitive in the AAC. Ollie made a lot of mistakes, but the conference was killing our athletic program.

Ollie was good. The he sucked and torpedoed the program.

Reaction Score
FACT IS ....

We were losing our Fanbase in both sports in the AAC; and then not energizing the new stakeholder students, alumns, state residents. The true way to gain some traction back is Hoop. We can win big National games; Play MSG ... feel good about the Huskies.

The AAC is in a rising quality arc while flatlining on the economics until 2032. Do you want to bet what Econ 101 says about this Cartel. The P5 - particularly the SEC &B1G - are gonna be hugely different in 14 years from the AAC.

Reaction Score
When the AAC was formed, I thought it was the best path for UConn to potentially get a P5 bid down the road. Well, it doesn't look like the P5 is expanding anytime soon. And, the fanbase was not energized playing AAC schools. The athletics are pretty good in the AAC, but the fan base does not care. When the AAC signed a low budget media contract, UConn had no choice, they had to leave. I believe UConn will make more money in the Big East and as a football independent and I don't think UConn will be the last school to explore football independence.

Reaction Score
Do you realize 99% of people think this is nuts? Noooooobooodddyyyy caaaaaares about Houston or SMU or Tulsa or Tulane. They don’t matter. They’re decent at football! And nobody, anywhere, cares.
Says who? You? You don't speak for anyone but yourself so pipe down about the 99% nonsense. Plenty are upset about UConn football being sold down the river so that the basketball team can play a few more local games.

Reaction Score
Says who? You? You don't speak for anyone but yourself so pipe down about the 99% nonsense. Plenty are upset about UConn football being sold down the river so that the basketball team can play a few more local games.
I would say 90% are ok with what’s happening. 10% like yourself don’t have a grip of what’s going on with this program.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why people keep saying this. Those schools you listed are good programs that people care about. DePaul is the weakest but they are having a good season so far and can be turning things around.

If you think ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, USF are the same as Creighton, Xavier, DePaul, Butler then you don’t pay attention to college basketball.
This is talking out of both sides of your mouth. You can’t say it doesn’t matter that Memphis, Cincy, UCF, etc are good football programs, people aren’t energized then say, it doesn’t matter what you think about Creighton, DePaul, Marquette, etc, they are great basketball programs.

The die hard basketball folks on this board are excited for Creighton, and they should be. The average basketball fan that is excited we are “back” in the Big East is going to be very confused when Pitt, Syracuse and Notre Dame are not on the schedule.

Reaction Score
This is talking out of both sides of your mouth. You can’t say it doesn’t matter that Memphis, Cincy, UCF, etc are good football programs, people aren’t energized then say, it doesn’t matter what you think about Creighton, DePaul, Marquette, etc, they are great basketball programs.

The die hard basketball folks on this board are excited for Creighton, and they should be. The average basketball fan that is excited we are “back” in the Big East is going to be very confused when Pitt, Syracuse and Notre Dame are not on the schedule.
When it comes to the Big East I don’t think people are going to be confused when Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, or Notre Dame isn’t on the schedule. If that’s the case then they are probably confused why the aren’t on the schedule now.

Reaction Score

UConn Indy in football; BE in basketball is 1000% better than remaining in the AAC.

You might not be able to see this; but we ain’t eye doctors, just truth-tellers.

Accept reality or deny it.

Your choice.

Reaction Score

Wrong. You’re just wrong.

It’s like trying to argue with someone saying the sky is green.

Reaction Score

What?

Reaction Score
When it comes to the Big East I don’t think people are going to be confused when Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, or Notre Dame isn’t on the schedule. If that’s the case then they are probably confused why the aren’t on the schedule now.
lol. I think they probably are.

Reaction Score
Well it's water under the bridge now. The die has been cast. One positive is that Ollie is out and Hurley seems to have a grasp on how to both win and recruit. The football program is going to have to figure out how it can recreate a fan base. Will it be with Edsall? It's not looking good at this point and who is going to want to take his place now that they are relegated to independent status. Who is going to want to recruit for this school now? Boy, what a mess for the football program. What a freakin shame after all that money and time was spent trying to build a D-1 program. And the women's program. The athletic department may have more control over they're TV revenue but the conference competition isn't any better and neither will the attendance be.

Reaction Score

My god...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Maybe the Ollie in 2014 was not the Ollie the got fired. I don't think this has anything to do with the AAC. He reached the mountaintop and couldn't stay there.

I still think 2014 doesn't happen if JC and not KO was the coach. This was not a Mike Davis or Matt Doherty situation. Something changed in KO after the title and that is on him.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No, really, we should be staying in the AAC for imaginary idea that UConn football fans are going to want to travel to Tulsa, Greenville, and Tampa.

Reaction Score
No, really, we should be staying in the AAC for imaginary idea that UConn football fans are going to want to travel to Tulsa, Greenville, and Tampa.
Undoubtedly, especially for those who skipped out on the opportunities since the AAC was created 6 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom