In the works? Some surprise recruits coming? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

In the works? Some surprise recruits coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I mean if anyone is skewing stats its yourself, I didn't manipulate or spin any numbers, while coach at UConn he coached 144 games and won 74 of them....that is fact. I know what you meant, but skewing stats is not the verbage you meant.

Taking that record of 50 - 37 thats a 57% percent win percentage...I don't know where you went to school, but at 57 on a test for me was a failure.

And Ted Williams was a failure hitting a baseball, let alone EVERY other player at the MLB level. Its relative man. Correct on a test 57 is bad. As a winning percentage it's not bad. Not great but respectable. The Warriors won 89% in the regular season last year, not even an A effort.

Reaction Score
And Ted Williams was a failure hitting a baseball, let alone EVERY other player at the MLB level. Its relative man. Correct on a test 57 is bad. As a winning percentage it's not bad. Not great but respectable. The Warriors won 89% in the regular season last year, not even an A effort.

It was sarcasm....I'll refrain from that in the future

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
He is not recruiting players to compete against the sisters of the poor. The American has quality top 25 football teams and have wins over some of the top teams in the country, which is a selling point. The league champion can play in a New Year's 6 bowl. RE has a history of developing kids to go on to NFL careers. If a kid wants to go to a highly reputable academic institution, play against high quality opponents, and develop into an NFL-level player, RE has a lot sell.

Reaction Score
Now if what you're saying is, use Randy to get us back to 7/8 win seasons, make UConn more attractive to aspiring coaches, and then use them to get use to the 9/10/11 win seasons and actually compete for conference championship....I can board that train.
That is precisely my argument. Randy is the guy to bridge the gap between the dumpster fire we are right now and the platform we need to potentially make the step into the big time nationally. No coach who can take us to the next step will come here now. If Randy gets us in~7-8 years to the place we were in 2010 before he retires, a coach who can make take the program to the national stage will be far more likely to come here.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
FCS? Les Miles? Smdh... Les Miles probably wouldn't have brought in 4 or 5 star players his first year or two, but he definitely would of brought in top notch 3 star players. You're talking about a guy that won a championship at LSU. At one point he was a top 5 coach in the country, top 2 in the SEC.

Sure, but is Miles ready to find the right 3 star kids? Plenty of 3 star kids are just kids who physically mature 2 years ahead of two star kids so that by the time they are juniors they aren't so special. And its not slam dunk that someone like Miles is ready to evaluate the much broader sea of three star kids after spending years neck deep in four and five star kids. Granted, yes his resume will give him more access to more recruiting choices than Edsall - no disputing that...much more....

Reaction Score
That is precisely my argument. Randy is the guy to bridge the gap between the dumpster fire we are right now and the platform we need to potentially make the step into the big time nationally. No coach who can take us to the next step will come here now. If Randy gets us in~7-8 years to the place we were in 2010 before he retires, a coach who can make take the program to the national stage will be far more likely to come here.

agree 100%

Reaction Score
He never did before. No reason to think he will magically turn into a good recruiter now.
Randy V2.0 has 2 things he didn't have before....
1) SUZIE
In Susan I trust and, I do believe this .... she will have his back when it comes to admissions. She will get in what he needs and wants.... There is too much riding on this for the university for her not to be fully
supportive. as the CEO.

2) Benedict as opposed to Hathaway
no discussion needed.....

Reaction Score
USF and Leavitt did pretty well making that same move.
Edit: RE did a fine job making that move, the question for me is can he exceed what he did before.

Let me answer that question:
Yes he can exceed and do well because of
1) total commitment from an AD in Benedict and Susan Herbst versus admin and Hathaway in a prior life.
2) his total commitment to the program.. THIS IS HIS BABY form the cradle of 1998......

Reaction Score
delterp posted this in another thread:

Hey my friends, man full circle. I will leave comments regarding the hire alone, just passing some info. There are 7 players who will be leaving Maryland this winter due to not aligning with the future vision. Those 7 were all RE recruits. As it stands now, a DL, TE, 2 LB, QB, Safety, DE. All of them except for the QB have game experience and decent talent, maybe not BIG East talent but good talent. I would imagine you may start to hear some names pop up. Good luck moving forward.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'll very gladly take eight win Randy at $1MM per year vs untested FCS head coach or an FBS coordinator.
I'll take a creative FBS coordinator as a potential coach in waiting.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Maybe not Big East talent? Good. That's 1AA nowadays.

Reaction Score
Any graduating that could play right away? @delterp
I'm aware of 8 kids moving on this year. There is a DL and TE who both graduated. The others are 2015 recruits and would need to sit. Of the 8, no ideas which may or may not be RE targets but it would make sense as he recruited them. I was a fan of 2 lb's both 84 composite scores which are solid 3 stars.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The first four years don't really count if we're being intellectually honest . we should tally up the last six or seven when he had full schollies and a level
Playing field. By my count he won 60 percent of the time which is damn good. Not amazing. But really damn good
Most coaches have a better record when you exclude losing seasons.

Reaction Score
I'm aware of 8 kids moving on this year. There is a DL and TE who both graduated. The others are 2015 recruits and would need to sit. Of the 8, no ideas which may or may not be RE targets but it would make sense as he recruited them. I was a fan of 2 lb's both 84 composite scores which are solid 3 stars.

Using deductive reasoning, the QB being referred to is most likely Gage Shaffer, and the LBs are most likely Gus Little and Brett Zanotto. All would need to sit a year.

Gage Shaffer - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN
Brett Zanotto - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN
Gus Little - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Reaction Score
Using deductive reasoning, the QB being referred to is most likely Gage Shaffer, and the LBs are most likely Gus Little and Brett Zanotto. All would need to sit a year.

Gage Shaffer - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN
Brett Zanotto - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN
Gus Little - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

So while you are researching, who are the 5th year seniors that can play somewhere right away. (I'm less interested in the TE than the DL).

Reaction Score
True Senior DLs are Azubuike Ukandu and Roman Braglio. No RS Jrs.

EDIT: they both redshirted, so don't know who he is talking about.

They are both fifth year seniors, who, if they graduate in 4 years, can go anywhere and play immediately. They are also both young men who started most games last year. I would think we would be interested in either, as we're horrifically thin on the DL.

Reaction Score
It was sarcasm....I'll refrain from that in the future
It wasn't sarcasm or tongue in cheek...nothing in your post implied that st all. So I nstead of trying to defend it, just admit it was a bad comparison. Everyone makes mistakes once in a while. Randy made a mistake in the way he left...I suspect he'll be admitting as much tomorrow.

Reaction Score
They are both fifth year seniors, who, if they graduate in 4 years, can go anywhere and play immediately. They are also both young men who started most games last year. I would think we would be interested in either, as we're horrifically thin on the DL.

The only spot we aren't thin at is 6 foot 6 260 pound TE/DE recruits who are as slow as a line at the DMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom